Community Message Boards

Thread: Freeze French Onion Soup?

Question Freeze French Onion Soup?

Is there any problem with freezing french onion soup (without the cheese of course)?

I've done it with no problems. It's broth based and the onions are already cooked, so there's nothing really to go wrong.

I agree onion soup can be frozen without any problems. I recently saw a recipe in a magazine (sorry don't remember which one) and at the end they specifically said it could be frozen without any problems.
    Foodie Pam
    Tired of losing of recipes? Try Project Foodie.

Thanks ... I didn't think it would be a problem, but it's good to get foodie opinions conformation.

You already have your answer, but I thought I'd chime in anyway and say yes, I have done it many times! I just freeze the onion soup base, though,a and add the cheese and bread after I have thawed it out and reheated it. But Trader Joe's sells single serving frozen FOS with the bread and cheese already on them...
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

I prepare French onion soup as part of my in-laws Christmas "freezer" present. I freeze the soup in several two-serving containers, cheese and toast in separate containers so they can take out what they need. It must be working well because they ask for it every year!

Kathy