Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze orange (or lemon) zest?

Can you freeze orange (or lemon) zest?

I was just thinking as I threw the peel for my lunchtime orange away... is there any reason you can't zest the fruit & throw it in the freezer? I hate to think of all the times I've gone to the store to get a lemon just for the peel. I know you can save the juice...

Anybody with experience or ideas?
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Yes you can. It's basically just oil, and it goes rancid fast without refrigeration/freezing. I would definitely freeze it just like I do nuts and other oily things. I would make sure to vacuum pack it or seal it very well as it could dry out easily in the freezer though.

I've frozen it in clean spice jars, then just scooped out the amount I need for a recipe.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

You people are my heroes!!!! I hate to toss it out. Now I can freeze it. And I know I have clean, empty spice jars somewhere....

Thanks!
    -Donna
    No matter how you slice the baloney, there are always two sides!

I freeze mine in water or a bit of the juice of the fruit. The liquid keeps the zest moist & is quick to thaw when I want to use the zest. I have an old ice cube tray that I freeze them in & then transfer the cubes to a zip lock bag. This also helps w/ portion control as I know that 1 cube = 1 T of zest.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

Quote Originally Posted by rosen
    I freeze mine in water or a bit of the juice of the fruit. The liquid keeps the zest moist & is quick to thaw when I want to use the zest. I have an old ice cube tray that I freeze them in & then transfer the cubes to a zip lock bag. This also helps w/ portion control as I know that 1 cube = 1 T of zest.
    That's what my grandmother did. She found a baby food jar to be the perfect size for the juice and zest for 1 lemon pie. I loved opening her freezer and seeing all those little jars just waiting to be baked into delicious lemon pies!
    ~Moneypenny~

Awesome!!

Thanks for the input!!! You folks are the best!! I know I can always count on help here!!!
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.