Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Cute, healthy snack idea for 1st grade xmas party

ISO: Cute, healthy snack idea for 1st grade xmas party

Hi all,

I am the Room Mom in my son's first grade class and I need to bring a small snack in for the Christmas party. I know that a bit of sweets won't be horrible for them but does anybody have any fun, festive and healthy ideas that they will actually eat? If not, what would you suggest for a sweet treat?

Thanks,

PJB

Here is a snack mix that is very adaptable. You can leave out the nuts if you have kids with allergies, and you can add Holiday M&Ms instead of chocolate chips to make it look Christmasy. You could add small pretzel twists, too, if you want a salty component (and it would stretch it a little farther as well).

S'more Mix

2 c. Golden Grahams
    1 c. mini marshmallows
    1 c. nuts (optional)
    1/2 c. chocolate chips
    1/2 c. raisins

Makes 4-5 cups
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I used to love putting together the goodies for the kids school parties when they were little!

The children always enjoyed little Rice Krispie treat squares with red & green M&M's pressed in the tops while the mixture is still warm. Then cut into little squares and wrap in holiday print plastic wrap.

As parents we like to serve the kids something healthy, but over the years I've found that we usually brought the cut-up fruit back home from these parties.

Sometimes the apple chunks with the caramel dipping sauce went, and handfuls of grapes, or slices of oranges. These little critters love the holiday sweets, and once they spot the goodies, that's it for the fruit!
    Have fun!

(Also, check the Family Fun website, they often have great ideas!)
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Thumbs up

This is what I did for the Halloween party, and to my surprise, the kids grabbed them over the donuts that someone brought!!

I took those mini cookie cutters that don't really work well on cookies and cut out ghost shapes (in this case you could use trees, stockings, etc.) out of pre-cut cheese slices. I believe Cabot makes them? Just don't use cheddar, it crumbles too easy. Then I cut pumpkin shapes out of melon (I used canteloupe for halloween orange, but be creative!). I them skewered a purple grape, the melon, another grape, and toped the point of the skewer with the cheese. Just be sure to grab the sticks from the kids before the sword fights start!! The parents were impressed that the kids gobbled them up and asked for more!
    ~angela~
    sophleniko

"I dont like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like good cooking."
    James Beard

If you go the sweet treat route, these are cute and easy to make:

Holiday Pretzel Treats

Pretzel Rings or Waffle-shaped pretzels
    Hershey's Chocolate Kisses and/or Hugs and/or Rolos
    Red and Green Holiday M&M's

Heat oven to 170 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and or parchment paper.

Set pretzels on the sheet in a single layer, and top each one with an unwrapped Kiss, a Hug, or a Rolo.

Bake in the oven 4-6 minutes until soft. (The Hugs get soft more quickly than the other candies.)

Remove from oven and press an M&M into the center of each Kiss or Rolo. (If the chocolate is not soft enough, just return the pan to the oven for another minute or so.)

Let the pan cool for a few minutes, then set in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to harden.
    Wag more...bark less...

These are good too but they turn your whole mouth green!

Holly

30 large marshmallows
    1 stick butter (1/4 pound)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    6 teaspoons (1 ounce) green food coloring
    4 1/2 cups cornflakes
    red hots

Melt marshmallows and butter. Add food coloring and vanilla and blend well. Add cornflakes and stir until thoroughly coated.

Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper, place a red hot in the center of each.

Makes 24 cookies.
    Wag more...bark less...

I'm a first grade teacher, and this is what we did last year and will do again this year. We have various craft stations for the kids. One station was making open-faced Rudolph sandwiches. Each kid got a triangle of bread, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter in a small cup, a popscicle stick spreader, red m&m's for noses, raisins for eyes, and pretzels for antlers. They made their own snacks and loved them! Of course, have milk to go along with it! Another station was frosting sugar cookies: provide cut-out sugar cookies, frosting, sprinkles, more popscicle stick spreaders, and you're good to go! I played the music from "A Charlie Brown Christmas," and it was a very festive time. Have fun!

Lori

Quote Originally Posted by lgrose
    One station was making open-faced Rudolph sandwiches. Each kid got a triangle of bread, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter in a small cup, a popscicle stick spreader, red m&m's for noses, raisins for eyes, and pretzels for antlers. They made their own snacks and loved them! Of course, have milk to go along with it!
    Now THAT is a great idea! TOO CUTE! I am not surprised the kids loved them. Thanks for sharing!
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Great ideas! Thanks, I will let you know what we end up doing and how it goes over with the kids.