Community Message Boards

Thread: Gingerbread without Molasses???

Gingerbread without Molasses???

I know, gingerbread cookies are usually supposed to have molasses on them. However, I will be making gingerbread people with my son to take to his preschool during the week and I cannot stomach molasses, just really don't like the flavor.
    I don't want to go out and buy a jar of molasses, which I will have to give to someone or use it up in something else I will not get to eat.
    So, I was thinking that maybe someone in this wonderful Bulletin Board might have a miraculous gingerbread people cookie recipe that doesn't have molasses in it, and that I could use to make the cut out cookies with my son.
    Does such recipe exist??
    I am from Brazil and there we don't even have gingerbread cookies, so I am not that familiar with this type of cookie myself.
    As another option I was thinking about maybe trying to make a sugar cookie recipe and adding some cocoa to it just to get some "tan color" to the cookie people. Do you think that might work??
    Any help will be truly appreciated!!
    TIA
    Ana

Just use Karo syrup. It's basically the same thing except for the taste.

I have never used Molasse in Gingerbread Cookies - Honey, Flours, Spices, Sugar and so on but never Molasse

I don't like molasses either and asked the same question a few years ago...
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ht=gingerbread

Quote Originally Posted by tyroleancutie View Post
    I have never used Molasse in Gingerbread Cookies - Honey, Flours, Spices, Sugar and so on but never Molasse
    That is interesting, I have looked for recipes and almost all of them have molasses in it.
    Do you have a recipe you have tried that you would be willing to share?
    Thanks!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    I don't like molasses either and asked the same question a few years ago...
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ht=gingerbread
    Thanks for the link Linda!
    See, I use the boards search but didn't see this specific thread... I guess I am another one among the search impaired!
    By the way, the butterscotch recipe sounds very interesting, I think I might try this one! I saw that you made it and had good results. It is easy to work with and the kids liked too, right?!
    Now I have to choose which one I am going to try!
    Ana
    Last edited by Aninha; 12-10-2006 at 08:42 PM. Reason: adding comments