Community Message Boards

Thread: Traditional Columbian Christmas Dish

Traditional Columbian Christmas Dish

DS has a wonderful girlfriend from Columbia. We will be having our family Christmas dinner at our house and want to surprise her (she hasnít been home in about 2 years) with something special from her homeland. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/recipes?

TIA
    Jean

Recipes in this category:
    Arepas Fritas De Queso O Chicharron
    Arepas Jenesanences (Corn Bread Jenesanen Sty
    Colombian Avocado Vichyssoise (Sopa De Aguacate Y Papas)
    Colombian Marinated Tomatoes (Weir)
    Conejo Guisado Con Coconut (Rabbit Stew with Coconut Crea
    Frijoles (South American Beans)
    Frituras De Caracol (Columbian Conch Fritters

These are from recipesourse.com Not many but maybe it will get you started. My vote is for the Conch Fritters.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

The country is Colombia, not Columbia.

It really depends upon what part of Colombia she is from. I have spent a good deal of time in BogotŠ, and work with many Colombians. Here is what the guys I work with told me to suggest:

Arepas are a part of nearly every meal. I love them especially with Colombian style hot chocolate in the morning. You can get Ibarra chocolate from Mexico at nearly any supermarket, and it is close. If you happen to see Sol Chocolate, that is one from Colombia and is really good.

Ajiaco is a very popular chicken soup there. I think CL has a recipe for it too. It has corn, potatoes, and cilantro, and is very good.

Pernil De Cerdo Al Horno Basically a marinated roast pork leg. There were quite a few recipes for this in Google. Some are in English and some in Spanish. I was going to translate one of the Spanish ones, but am getting too busy at work right now. Plus, my Spanish is more for agriculture than cooking.

If you have any question or need any more help I'll be able to reply later today.

donleyk, ADM, jimjimmerjim

Many many thanks for your help! This is a wonderful start. I knew the BB wouldn't let me down...

I can't wait to look at these recipes (especially the Conch Fritters).

Jim-dah-thanks for setting me straight Colombia!

Jean