Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitution Pepperoncini Peppers

Substitution Pepperoncini Peppers

I would like to make the recipe for Artichoke, Spinach and Feta stuffed shells from December CL. The recipe calls for pepperoncini peppers which I can find. I looked at 3 supermarkets including Whole Foods. Any suggestions for a substitution?

Thanks!

Did you mean to say you "can't find"? Anyway, they are usually in the pickled foods aisle near the other kinds of pickled foods. ie: pickles, mustard, catsup, chile sauce, etc. Pepperoncini are usually sold in jars, not in the produce department.
    You didn't mention where you looked in the store, so forgive me if you looked on that aisle already.

A substitute would be any relatively mild pickled pepper. Banana, for instance.

Yes, I meant that I can't find them-sorry about that! I only looked in the produce department so I will check where you suggested-thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nylucy4 View Post
    Yes, I meant that I can't find them-sorry about that! I only looked in the produce department so I will check where you suggested-thanks!

If I may.... the employees at the store are there to help you. So don't be afraid to ask for something if you are having trouble finding it. Also, I have seen pepperoncini on the Italian foods aisle once in a great while.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    If I may.... the employees at the store are there to help you. So don't be afraid to ask for something if you are having trouble finding it.
    While this is true, I have to say at my local grocery stores, the employees look at me like I have carrots coming out of my nose when I ask for certain products. Once, I asked a couple of employees at a store if they had Tahini. I got, "wha??? what's that?" I told them what it is and I got, "well, if we have it, it would be in the Italian food section." Ummm, it's not Italian, but okay. They didn't even check their computers to see if it was something they'd have in stock. I later found it in the natural food section. I got the same reaction with mascarpone cheese and ladyfingers.

But, pepperoncini should be where the pickles and olives are, otherwise they'd probably be where specialty Italian items might be. And, like Hammster said, a good sub would be Banana peppers.