Community Message Boards

Thread: Has anyone ever tried "Body Pump"?

Hey there. I took a few Body Pump classes last year at my gym... At that time I had a personal trainer too and he highly recommended the class. Now the times they offer Body Pump are not convenient for me.

I don't think it is a bad thing to workout all your muscle groups, you may want to take that class just once a week and focus on upper body/lower body once each a day other than that. Also, don't forget your cardio!

Post Has anyone ever tried "Body Pump"?

I am a member of Gold's Gym and they have a class called Body Pump. I did it last night for the first time and today it hurts to move! I really enjoyed the class though. It is a non-aerobic workout that uses repetitive movements with a barbell and small weights to work every major muscle group. The class in an hour long and runs the gamut from lunges to bicep curls to squats and several other movements. I've always had a tough time with the weight machines at the gym and knowing if I'm doing enough weight and if I'm using the right machines etc. This class seems to cover all my basis. My concern is that I was telling a friend about it this morning and he told me it was bad to work all the muscle groups like that. He said I should be working my upper body one day, skip a day, and then do my lower body. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is the best way to work your muscles? I'm not looking to become the Terminator lady, but as I approach 30 I'm noticing the flabby part on my arm is getting reeaally dangly - YUCK!

Thanks Daner (I have a good friend named Dane and I always call him Daner!). I've set a schedule for myself to do the class twice a week and maintain cardio work outs three times a week. The trick is sticking with it! Thanks for the info.

I am a member of New York Sports Club and they have the same type of class. It is called "Total Body Conditioning" and it is great. I also have trouble making sure that I hit all the major muscle groups when I workout alone with free weights. This class is the perfect solution. I love feeling sore muscles the next day - it reminds me that I have worked muscels that haven't been worked in a while.

The day off is from working the SAME muscle group. Your muscles do need a day off...ex: work arms and legs, work back and shoulders the next, then go back to arms and legs again.

The YMCA where I work out started these classes in January and I can really see a difference in the women who take this class regularly. I have been biking too much to make most classes but I do love to go when I get the chance.

Lisa

Smile

Our local YMCA has offered the class for about 2 years. It promised (Ok, it advertised) the class would "Change the shape of your Body." However, it changed the instructors' shapes greatly, but I did not have the same results. After taking class for about 7 mos., the only difference I saw was a little strength. My goal was to gain definition and toning. I took the class twice a week. The results, I'm sure, vary from figure to figure. I am about 5"10 and have somewhat long muscles. Therefore, toning and defining of muscles could just take me longer. Good luck! I thoroughly enjoyed the class- especially the music. My husband, who is NOT a structured class person, also liked the class.

Wink

I love Body Pump, when I go. I always feel so lame-o b/c the women in their are 20 years my senior and they pump more weight than me. But I, too, like feeling sore muscles the next day. Just be sure to rest 24-48 hours in between strength training, but cardio-it up as much as you want!