Community Message Boards

Thread: best mini food processor

Question best mini food processor

I'd like to get a mini-food processor and am having a hard time choosing between a Black and Decker and a Cuisinart. I'd like to know everyones preferences and why they like their specific brand. Also is there a big price difference?

Thumbs up

I have a Black & Decker, and I love it! I use it far more than my regular food processor. It's very handy: doesn't take up much counter space (which I have very little of!), works great and is easy to clean. I haven't used the Cuisinart one, so I can't comment on it though.

Hope this helps!

I was given a B & D as a gift several years back-- and while I like it, I find it a trifle quirky. The button has a habit of sticking, so I'll stand there hitting the thing, screaming at it. Still in all, it beats the heck out of standing over the cutting board, sobbing my eyes out over an onion. (I have a feeling your decision may end up being based on availability and price since basically the camps seem to be divided!) Good luck!

I have a Cuisinart Mini Prep that I got from Williams-Sonoma for about 35 bucks 2 years ago. I don't use it as much as I thought I would - my chef's knife is easier to clean than a mini food processor! Anyway, I like it and would recommend the Cuisinart if you think you'll use it. I noticed recently, much to my chagrin, that Cuisinart has redesigned their food processors and the miniprep is now incredibly cute ! The price has gone up a bit though. You may be able to find the older model at a discount though, who knows.

Smile

I have a small Cuisinart. I love it. I had a B&D for about 5 years and it gave out. I liked it when I had it, but the Cuisinart is better. The Cuisinart's blades are sharper and you can remove them from the stem and turn them around to use the blunt side (for nuts I think). It also has two speeds and is a little bigger than the B&D. If this one dies, I'll get another Cuisinart.

[This message has been edited by jillr (edited 07-23-2000).]

If your looking for a food processor that is compact, has a small footprint, with nice lines and looks smart on your countertop try the KitchenAid. It has a small processor within the larger processer for small jobs; thought I seldtom use it because I like chopping and slicing. But for bigger jobs it's great. Just pull it out from under the counter, use it, rinse it, and slide it back.

Funny you asked. Just tonight, I decided to once again pull out my mini Cuisinart since I use it so seldom. I find it does not chop pieces consistently and I get big, unchopped chunks. If I continue to process, I end up with pureed onion mush as I did tonight. So, I'll banish this little machine back to the upper cabinets. I really like the Pampered Chef manual chopper - it's quick and does a great job (no, I don't work for them). I also do pretty well with my chef's knife. I cook alot and just don't like the Cuisinart mini-prep tho' I'm the only one that seems to have this opinion. However, I do use it to puree sauces and it works great. Just don't like it for chopping.

Thumbs up

I ve got a Cuisinart and am happy with it. I can t tell you any specs about size offhand, but it is fairly small, fast, and quick to clean. My situation is the opposite as Jen s, though - I have never used a B&D one so I can t compare quality. Also, I bought this a few years ago and can t recall much about relative price. Gee, some help this is
    Good luck with your search.

I have a cuisinart mini processor and paid about $25 at Costco (Seattle area). I've never used a B&D, so can't comment. But I love everthing about the Cuisinart.

I actually have a Krups mini processor and love it! It's small, works great and is easy to clean (I put it in the dishwasher sometimes). I've had it for 3 1/2 years and it's still going strong.

Not that you needed a third option!

I have the B&D chopper. I got it last year for my wedding shower and I use it alot. I don't have any problems with it at all and it does have 2 speeds on it. I have used it to chop onions, to make ceasar dressing, to make grahm cracker crusts, and to make pesto sauces, among other things. It's very easy to clean and it fits nicely into a cabinet. I have never used the cuisinart, but the B&D seemed to be priced very reasonably.

O.K. I realize you didn't mention Oster, but if you have an Osterizer blender, they sell a small food processor attachment. I dropped mine and just replaced it at on-line store (around $15). It's wonderful and eliminates the need of another appliance.