Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Potato recipe to go with ham

ISO: Potato recipe to go with ham

I need to make something potato-y to go with our ham for Christmas dinner. I'm shying away from mashed potatoes because there won't be any gravy, so I'm thinking maybe a casserole of some kind. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Robyn
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

I always think cheesy things are good with ham. So au gratin potatoes would be really good. Or, not gourmet at all (but really good), there is always that yummy casserole made with the frozen hash brown potatoes, cheddar cheese, and corn flake crumbs.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by clairea View Post
    I always think cheesy things are good with ham. So au gratin potatoes would be really good. Or, not gourmet at all (but really good), there is always that yummy casserole made with the frozen hash brown potatoes, cheddar cheese, and corn flake crumbs.
    Not much to add, but I love that hash brown casserole, too. I've made it to go with Easter dinner for a couple of years now, and it's so yummy. It always disappears.

We love this one from CL:

Potato Gratin with Goat Cheese and Garlic

1 cup half-and-half, divided
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
    1 cup 1% low-fat milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 garlic clove, minced
    5 cups thinly sliced peeled Yukon gold potato (about 2 1/2 pounds)
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400.
    Combine 2 tablespoons half-and-half with flour in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add the remaining half-and-half, cheese, and next 5 ingredients (cheese through garlic), stirring with a whisk. Arrange half of the potato slices in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of the milk mixture over potato slices, stirring the milk mixture immediately before adding. Repeat procedure with remaining potato slices and milk mixture. Bake at 400 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and golden brown.

Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 193(27% from fat); FAT 5.8g (sat 3.8g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 6.4g; CHOLESTEROL 20mg; CALCIUM 90mg; SODIUM 341mg; FIBER 2.4g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.4g

Cool

With all due respect, I disagree with the others and would likely choose a non-cheese potato dish. I like scalloped potatoes-- either doing the full-fat, sinful-with-cream-or-half-and-half version (Julia Child's potatoes dauphinois is excellent) or CL has a tasty lightened version.

Either the scalloped or au-gratin sound good. Another idea, if you don't want cheesy or creamy, is to cut small red potatoes in half and put the cut side down in a pan suitable for the oven. Drizzle with with olive oil, salt & pepper and any herbs of your choice (I use herbs de provence). Bake in the oven until browned on the outside (I think I usually bake them at about 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes).

Sorry, that's not a specific recipe. But, they are very yummy.

Here is what I'm making to have with my ham. Maybe it doesn't mesh as well, but I love these so I don't care!

Brown Sugar-Glazed Sweet
    Potato Wedges

Make this tasty side dish up to two days ahead, and store,
    covered, in the refrigerator. Reheat at 350, covered, for
    20 minutes or until heated through; if desired, finish the
    dish under the broiler to recrisp the edges of the potato.

1/4 cup unsalted butter
    3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
    4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half crosswise, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, water, salt, nutmeg, ginger,
    and cinnamon; bring to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard cinnamon stick.
    Combine sugar mixture and potato wedges in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange potatomixture on a large jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until
    tender, stirring after 20 minutes.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

CALORIES 182 (19% from fat); FAT 3.9g (sat 2.4g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 1.7g;
    CHOLESTEROL 10mg; CALCIUM 44mg; SODIUM 211mg; FIBER 3g; IRON 0.8mg;
    CARBOHYDRATE 36.1g
    Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2004

I've made this CL potato recipe to go with baked ham, and it was delicious: Potato-Gorgonzola Gratin. I am not a fan of blue cheese, so I subbed the Monterey Jack cheese as suggested. It definitely does not taste light!
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I always like twice-baked potatoes w/ ham. The last time I made them I used some chives, prosciutto (crisped up in the oven first) , some sour cream and smoked Gouda cheese. They were a big hit-Sue

Yum! Thanks for all the good ideas. Now I need to process the information and make a decision. . .
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White