Community Message Boards

Thread: Need side dishes for Lasagna dinner?

Need side dishes for Lasagna dinner?

I usually have just cheese bread and a salad, but I am having in-laws over and my MIL is bringing the lasagna so I have more time to put into the side dishes. Anyone have any wow recipes?

I think zucchini would go great with lasagna. You could do a grilled zucchini .....

I am thinking asparagus..............
    You could roast it in the oven while lasagna sits to firm.
    Jodi

No "wow" sides, but I always serve sautéed or roasted vegetables with lasagne or other casseroles. For anything Italian-inspired I'll sauté thick slices (cut on the bias) of zucchini (green and/or yellow) with whole, crushed cloves of garlic and quartered button mushrooms or slices of red onion and add oregano. Or sautéed spinach or chard or, as Jodi suggested, asparagus.

Is it a traditional red meat sauce in the lasagne?

ETA: Again, not "wow" but if you wanted a sense of abundance, you could do two different sides, such as roasted asparagus and sautéed yellow squash, or sautéed chard and steamed yellow beans. Just a thought.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

If it's a cheese lasagna with red sauce, I usually have a side of meatballs and/or sausages in sauce for the meat lovers. Helps people fill up without the heaviness of a huge lasagna slice.

She usually makes one vegetarian lasagna with spinach and I think the other one has a combination of sausage and ground beef. I made asperagus the last time they were here, but the roasted veggies sound like a very good idea. Lasagna, sauce, cheese bread and roasted veggies. Does that sound like enough? Can anyone think of one more side dish that would work?

I was going to mention sauteed spinach w/nutmeg, but if she is making a veggie one w/spinach that is out.

Lasagna is a heavy meal, your menu sounds great. No need to over do it. Just one veggie side and bread AND WINE sounds just right.

We're roasting asparagus for our Christmas dinner and I can't wait. So yummy!

Merry Christmas!