Community Message Boards

Thread: Ricotta Cheese/Egg ?

Ricotta Cheese/Egg ?

I am in the middle of making a nice fattening rich lasagna for Christmas. I am using a 32 oz ricotta. How many eggs would you add? I added 2 but wasn't sure if I should go 1 more. I am not following any recipe so I am just curious. TIA
    Jodi

Jodi,
    I'd go with 3 eggs myself for that amount of ricotta.

found the recipe that I've used and here's the list of ingredients:

* 4 cups of tomato or meat sauce, your choice
    * 1 - 1 1/2 pounds lasagna noodles
    * 3 eggs
    * 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
    * 32 oz. ricotta cheese
    * 2 1/2 lb. Mozzarella cheese
    * A pinch of dried oregano, thyme, and basil
    * salt & pepper, to taste
    * Olive oil to coat the pans
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I've seen recipes before that used 1 egg per pound of ricotta... so two should be good?

Here's a link to a recipe from Lidia Bastianich that also uses that amount...

http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/aut...e.html#lasagna

Also one from Sara Moulton that uses 1 per pound.

Sara's Traditional Lasagna
    Sara Moulton
    Yield: Makes 10 servings

Ingredients
    For sauce
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings discarded
    1/2 pound ground beef chuck
    1/2 pound ground veal (or pork)
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes in juice, drained (juice reserved) and chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For Filling
    1 pound fresh ricotta or supermarket-style ricotta
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

For Assembling
    16 oven-ready (no-boil) lasagna noodles (two 9-ounce packages)
    cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano

pound mozzarella, coarsely grated

Directions The flavor of beef, the binding qualities of veal, and the succulence of pork sausage combine to make this meaty lasagna light and juicy. Don't be tempted to cut a caloric corner by substituting lean ground beef. The amount of fat in the beef affects the moisture as well as the texture of the cooked dish.

1. Make the sauce: Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in sausage, beef, and veal and cook, stirring and breaking up larger pieces, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, with their juice, salt, and pepper, bring to a simmer, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Make the filling: Stir together ricotta, egg, Parmesan, parsley, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl until combined. Put a rack in the middle of oven and preheat oven to 375F. Oil a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.

3. Assemble the lasagna: Spread 1 cups sauce in baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles, slightly overlapping, over sauce, then spread one third of ricotta mixture over noodles. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan over ricotta, then spread 1 cups sauce over Parmesan. Top with 4 more noodles and spread with another one third of ricotta mixture and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Top with 4 more noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, and 1 cups sauce. Top with remaining 4 noodles, then spread with remaining sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella.

Cover lasagna with buttered foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is bubbling and lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Thanks for the replies! I did end up adding another egg. Much better consistency.
    Jodi