Community Message Boards

Thread: How to "fix" shoes that are too big?

How to "fix" shoes that are too big?

Ugh .. I got these shoes a half size too big and didn't realize it until I wore them out and about (so I can't return them). Does anyone have tips on ways I can make them fit?

Stewie: "Some say life is like a box of chocolates, mother, but yours is like a box of active hand grenades!"

My Flickr!

My blog!

Stuff a handkerchief in the toe.

Hi-
    The choices I can think of are:
    1. thick socks
    2. those sole inserts you can get at any discount store, they'll make the shoe feel a little snugger
    3. adhesive heel strips to stick in the heel area to keep heel from slipping as much

You have my sympathy- I have a lot of trouble finding shoes that fit!

Happy Holidays,
    dreamer

Dreamer's second suggestion is a good one. I worked in shoe stores for several years; they have these foam half insoles that slide under the front part of your insole and help to snug the shoe up. Most places will give you them for free; try the store where you bought these from.
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

I've used both the sole inserts and the heel strips with good success. The heel strips are what I use most often.

Thanks for the ideas y'all!

So far, I've tried the heel strips (too small), thick socks (it works all right, but is a nuisance b/c I only own one pair of thick socks), and the foot inserts.

The foot inserts worked the best (I tried it with a pair I had in some running shoes), but they push my heel really high up in the shoe. So tomorrow I'll head out in search of a brand with a "deeper" heel, if that makes sense.

Thanks again, I'll check back if I find a pair of inserts that works.

Ashley
    Stewie: "Some say life is like a box of chocolates, mother, but yours is like a box of active hand grenades!"

My Flickr!

My blog!