Community Message Boards

Thread: Nonstick vs. shiny angel-food cake pan?

Hybrid View

Question Nonstick vs. shiny angel-food cake pan?

What kind of angel-food pan do you have (shiny aluminum, or nonstick-coated), and would you recommend it? Thanks!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I have one of the old shiny aluminum ones and I have never had a problem with it. One of my aunts got all the requisite cooking equipment when she got married in the 70s, but has never been a cook. When she moved a couple of years ago, I got most of her extras

For an angel food cake pan, I wouldn't think you'd want nonstick. I think that angel food cake needs to stick to the pan and climb it to bake properly.

Susan
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by susan_foster View Post
    For an angel food cake pan, I wouldn't think you'd want nonstick. I think that angel food cake needs to stick to the pan and climb it to bake properly.

Susan

Ditto! The cake will get higher if you don't use a non-stick pan. I always use my old shiny pan and never have any problems with cleaning.
    ~Moneypenny~

When I was growing up my mother had a shiny aluminum and later she bought a teflon coated but she only used it for her marble coffee cake. I use the shiny aluminum for angel food and have numerous bundt pans for all the other cakes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Most of the recipes I've seen tell you to use parchment regardless of the pan type, so the parchment should keep it from sticking.

I've always heard that for true angel food cake, you can't use the non-stick. I guess it depends on what kind of cake you plan on making in it in it, as to what you get. I have the traditional angel food cake pan, and then have a couple of bundt pans (pampered chef and non-stick)