Community Message Boards

Thread: Storing mozzarella balls?

Storing mozzarella balls?

I bought a container of mozzarella balls marinated in olive oil, roasted red pepper, and basil. I forgot to put them on the Christmas day appetizer platter and it turns out that we will be unable to go to the NYE party that we had planned on, so I won't get rid of them there, either. I notice that the container indicates to "use by 1-7-07". If I can't find any other way to use these things before then, can they be frozen? In the oil or separately? And how will the texture be, after they are thawed? Thanks!

I've frozen fresh mozz that is in the vac pac but haven't thawed it yet to see what happened to it
    I suspect the texture will change a little but it will still melt and not be overly different for taste.

If the date is 1/7, that is not carved in stone. A few days past won't hurt it, I'm sure.
    You could toss it into a pasta bake or slice and top a pizza.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I've found that fresh mozzarella spoils quickly, so I wouldn't count on them being good past the expiration - I'm not sure about freezing, but most cheeses have a change in texture once they've been frozen.

I freeze fresh mozzarella all the time, but always in a bag of water...and it stays great...I've never done it in oil.

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I also freeze fresh mozza all the time, but not in water, as Gail does. I just put it in a ziploc freezer bag "dry" - no oil, no water.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

Why not just eat them now?

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Why not just eat them now?
    QUIT TEMPTING ME!!!
    Though, after a glass of champagne or two I will probably be ripping into them...

I try not to eat any full-fat dairy. I bought these mainly for guests, but figured I could snitch a couple for myself. But not the whole container!