Community Message Boards

Thread: How to Use up LOTS of Feta Cheese??

How to Use up LOTS of Feta Cheese??

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

I hosted a Christmas Eve dinner for my Husband's family. I bought a HUGE container of crumbled Feta Cheese at Costco. It is dated good still. Anyone have any dinner recipes that use alot of feta??? I don't want it to go to waste. Of course, I could make a greek salad but I'm hoping to get some new ideas. Thanks ladies!!!!

This has become one of our favorites, not only as a topping for sweet potatoes, but with roast turkey and lettuce in a wrap, tossed salad topping, etc.

Originally posted by Clover here on the boards in October 2006 (the notes below are all from her original post).

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Feta-Olive Salad
    Recipe Source: Inspired by a recipe in Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons
    Serves: 2 as main course, 4 as side dish (can easily be multiplied)

2 large sweet potatoes, 3/4-1 lb each
    200g (about 1/2 lb) block good feta cheese (sheep's milk is the best - try feta imported from Greece or France), cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
    2/3 cup black oil-cured olives (or other high-quality olives), pitted and chopped
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
    1/2 cup (packed) chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (ground ok)
    1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds (ground ok)
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    salt and pepper

something cool and creamy to dollop on top: sour cream, yogurt, tzaziki... even hummus!

Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Wash the potatoes to rid them of any dirt and place on a foil-lined baking pan in the oven (no need to ***** them). Bake until they are completely soft, about 45-60 minutes (depending on their size).

While the potatoes are roasting, make the salad. I like to toast the cumin and coriander seeds before using them, but you don't have to. If you do, just heat them in a dry pan, stirring often, until they smell fragrant and toasty. Set aside to cool, then crush them coarsely in a mortar or with the back of a heavy knife (if using whole seeds). Mix together all the salad ingredients in a bowl and leave to marinate in the fridge until the potatoes are done (add a little more olive oil if it seems dry). When they are, remove them from the oven and place on plates. Slice them lengthwise down the center, folding open to reveal the orange flesh inside. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Pile half the feta salad on each potato, and eat!

Notes (from the website): I can't get enough of this dish. The contrasts between hot and cold, sweet and salty, crunchy and soft are mind-blowing. I make it in a slightly different way every time, depending on what I have in the fridge, but it graces our plates at least once a week. It is so simple, so quick, and so delicious - I am head over heels in love with sweet potatoes.

from The Traveler’s Lunchbox blog http://www.travelerslunchbox.com/jo...ve-of-spud.html

My aunt has made a wonderful salad of cut up grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and green peppers. She then put in a bunch of feta, and dressed it with a creamy vinagrette. She's also done it wtih Greek dressing, and I'm sure you could do others.

It was very yummy.

Jennifer

You can also freeze Feta. I buy the huge bricks at costco and package them into salad sizeservings and freeze. I take them out while I am preparing dinner and they defrost very quickly.

I would think you could do the same with the crumbles.

One of my favorite quick salads is:
    salad greens
    canned chick peas
    canned artichokes
    and feta

tossed with mustard vinagrette

1 tsp dijon
    3 T of cider vinegar
    6 T of olive oil
    sugar and salt to taste
    sometimes I add a finely diced shallot or pressed garlic
    whisk together

i put it in my majic bullet and it makes a creamy emulsion
    Stories, sharing recipes and amazing photos! Come see!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...4185758?v=wall

This was really good.

Cherry Tomatoes and Shrimp over Parmesan Couscous from Cooking Pleasures Magazine
    serves 4 (generously I thought)

5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (1/8 to 1/4)
    1/4 cup white wine or bottled clam juice
    4 cups halved cherry tomatoes
    1 lb. shelled, deveined uncooked medium shrimp
    1 teaspoon salt, divided
    1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 1/4 cups couscous
    1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (5 oz.) divided

Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over low heat until hot. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine. Increase heat to medium-low; gently boil 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium to medium-high; add tomatoes, shrimp and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil.

Meanwhile, bring water, remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat; stir in couscous. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Toss with 1 cup of the cheese.

Spoon tomato and shrimp mixture over couscous; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.

I also love the Cooking Light Baked Feta with Marinara December 2002 (if the link doesn't work)

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...cipe_id=522364

CL's Baked Feta with Marinara is great!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

I had a big think of feta from BJ's and I just finished it this weekend. I made stuffed mushrooms with a spinach/feta stuffing and the cranberry feta pinwheels. Here's a pasta that sounds good.

Greek Chicken Pasta

Yields: 6 servings

"For a fabulously flavorful dish that takes just minutes to make, simply saute garlic, onion and tender strips of chicken. Add artichoke hearts, tomato, feta cheese, parsley, lemon juice and oregano, and toss with hot pasta."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 pound uncooked pasta
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1 pound skinless, boneless
    chicken breast meat - cut into
    bite-size pieces
    1 (14 ounce) can marinated
    artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1 large tomato, chopped
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh
    parsley
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 lemons, wedged, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
    2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 5 to 6 minutes.
    3. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add the artichoke hearts, tomato, feta cheese, parsley, lemon juice, oregano and cooked pasta. Stir until heated through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with lemon wedges.

I had lots of feta in the fridge and a bunch of shrimp and mushrooms left over from New Year's and made this yesterday. It was a big hit and we are having leftovers tonight

Seafood Lasagna - CL (I subbed feta for goat cheese and increased the feta/cottage cheese later by 50%, using a full 2C feta in this one recipe)

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...cipe_id=554629
    Last edited by Chelle D; 01-02-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    Michelle

Saw this one and thought of you (link was from Lean Plate Club newsletter today):

Feta Chicken with Zucchini
    From Real Simple

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 lemon
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    2 medium zucchini
    1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1/3 cup (about 2 ounces) crumbled Feta

Heat oven to 400° F.

Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a roasting pan. Remove the zest from the lemon in thin strips; set aside.

Thinly slice the lemon. Place half the slices in the pan. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry with paper towels. Place it on top of the lemon slices and season with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt.

Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise, then slice each half into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons. In a bowl, combine the zucchini, parsley, pepper, and the remaining oil, lemon slices, and salt; toss. Spread the zucchini mixture around the chicken and sprinkle the Feta over the top. Roast until the chicken is cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer it to a cutting board and cut each piece into thirds. Divide the chicken, zucchini mixture, and lemons among individual plates and sprinkle with the zest.

Tip: For an almost effortless side dish that can cook while the chicken is in the oven, make boiled new potatoes, white rice, or couscous.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 270(27% from fat); FAT 8g (sat 3g); SUGAR 3g; PROTEIN 42g; CHOLESTEROL 110mg; SODIUM 378mg; FIBER 2g; CARBOHYDRATE 5g

Tara Bench
    Real Simple, JUNE 2006

One of my fave ways to use feta is to stuff a Hamburger with it! Just make two thin-ish patties, put feta between, smush the edges together so it seals and grill. They're delish!!!
    Terri _A
    “I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Here's a good appetizer recipe, and it keeps a long time!

Marinated Greek Feta Cheese

2 Tbs olive oil
    2 Tbs assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as dill weed, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley ,dry may be used but use only half of what is call)
    2 garlic cloves, minced (I use already chopped)
    1 Tbs lemon juice
    1 Tbs cracked peppercorns
    1 tsp poppy seeds
    8 oz feta cheese, cubed

1 Place feta cheese in a bowl.
    2 In a jar with a tight fiting lid, add all the other ingredients and cap jar.
    3 Shake until well blended.
    4 Pour over feta and stir gently as not to break up cubes.
    5 Divide mixture between 2 half pint jars with lids.
    6 Store in the fridge for up to a week.
    7 To serve, let cheese come to room temp for about 30 minutes.
    8 Serve with assorted crackers, chips or chrisp breads.
    9 Makes 2 half pint jars.
    10 To serve as a spread, mash cheese with some of the marinade to desired thickness.

Servings: 10
    Yield: 2 half pints
    Ready in: 25 minutes

Nutrition Facts
    Nutrition (per serving): 88.6 calories; 76% calories from fat; 7.7g total fat; 20.2mg cholesterol; 253.7mg sodium; 31.3mg potassium; 1.9g carbohydrates; 0.3g fiber; 1.0g sugar; 1.6g net carbs; 3.4g protein; 2.4 points.

Recipe Source
    This is a easy recipe and it makes a great gift. Feta cheese is marinated in olive oil with several herbs (I use fresh out of my herb garden when I can). You can keep it in chunks or drain it and mash to serve as a spread. Put in a decorative jar or covered bowl and give with crisp pita chips for a delicious gift!

We also make the world's easiest dish... Chicken w/Feta.

Spray appropriate-sized baking dish for number of people
    Chicken breast halves to equal the number of people.
    Spread crumbled Feta over chicken.
    Bake in a 350F oven for 40 minutes, or until done.
    Serve with green salad and bread....

Delicious, and a family favorite!

Doesn't Spanikopita use Feta cheese?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I bring this to a lot of picnics and BBQs in the spring and summer months. It always gets rave reviews. I don't like shrimp or feta so I always save some for me without both and its still very good!

This would make a nice lite dinner even now in the winter.

Greek Orzo and Grilled Shrimp Salad with Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette
    Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay
    Show: Boy Meets Grill
    Episode: Urban Picnic

3/4 pound orzo, cooked al dente
    1 large cucumber, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and sliced
    3 green onions, thinly sliced
    1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
    1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus extra for garnish
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup olive oil, plus additional for brushing shrimp
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    3/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
    16 medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
    Combine orzo, cucumber, green onions, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Place dill, vinegar, and mustard in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the vinaigrette over the orzo mixture and stir well to combine. Gently fold in the feta cheese.
    Heat grill to high. Brush shrimp with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for approximately 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Divide orzo salad among 4 take-out containers or plates and top with 4 shrimp. Garnish with additional dill.
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

I freeze Feta cheese in air-tight containers, to use "as needed".

Feta cheese is often, not always, interchangable with blue cheese - just a thought. When I think of Feta, I just don't automatically *think Greek*.

Make a cheese ball - cheese balls freeze well. [I make my favorite ball with either blue cheese (or Feta cheese) at Thanksgiving. It makes 2 and I freeze the extra one for the Christmas holidays.]

The Tortilla Rollups with Feta & dried cranberries were a big hit over the holidays - made with spinach tortillas.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I'm not a big feta fan, but this recipe is a repeat in our house, we all love it. My notes are in the recipe...

Penne Piperade

From High-Flavor Low-Fat Pasta, by Steven Raichlen

Piperade is a Basque specialty, a stunning saute of red, green, and yellow bell peppers scrambled with eggs fortified with paprika. Why not replace the eggs with pasta? You can certainly omit the ham if you're trying to reduce your meat intake.

Serves 4

* 4 cups penne (penne are like "quills," pasta tubes with ends cut on the diagonal)

For the sauce:

* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    * 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into penne-size pieces
    * 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into penne-size pieces
    * 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into penne-size pieces
    * 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    * 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I use more, I always do )
    * 2 to 3 thin slices prosciutto, Black Forest ham, or Canadian bacon, cut into thin slivers (1 to 2 ounces - optional--I ALWAYS use, and actually have tried serrano with really good results)
    * 2 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped (with juices) (We use canned in winter)
    * 1 to 3 teaspoons hot paprika salt and freshly ground black pepper (I think it is imperative to use smoked paprika here--sweet or hot--Penzey's carries it now)
    * 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
    * 1 ounce feta, Machego, or other sheep's milk cheese (optional)(I think I probably use more--I'm definitely not a very restrained cook )

1. Cook the penne in at least 4 quarts of rapidly boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta in a colander, refresh under cold water, and drain well again.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan, preferably nonstick. Add the peppers, onion, garlic, and prosciutto and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, paprika, salt and pepper, and half the parsley. Cook until the tomatoes yield their juices and the mixture is moist and saucy, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in the penne and bring to a boil. Correct the seasoning, adding salt or paprika to taste. The mixture should be highly seasoned. Sprinkle the penne with the remaining parsley. Grate the cheese on top, ifusing, and serve at once.

277 Calories per serving; 9 g protein; 5 g fat; 1 g saturated fat; 51 g carbohydrate; 16 mg sodium; 0 mg cholesterol.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

My vote is for the Barefoot Contessa's Orzo with Roasted Vegetables. It has a ton of feta in it, so much that I always use less. I'm sure for feta lovers you'd be fine with the whole amount. This is a definite TNT for us...we make it often.
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

We make these alot when we need a quick lunch for the kids (but we like them too).

GREEK PIZZAS
    pitas (whole wheat from TJs are good)
    thinly sliced onion (or not, for my kids)
    crumbled feta
    dried oregano
    good olive oil

Place pitas on a baking sheet. Top with onion and feta. Drizzle with olive oil (about 1/2 tbsp. per pita) and sprinkle with oregano. Broil until cheese and edges of pita are browned. Yummy!

(Originally from Quick Vegetarian Pleasures, I think).

Also, those containers of feta from Costco stay good a looong time.

There is a CL recipe for shrimp with orzo and feta -- I can't remember the exact name right now, but it got my attention on this BB. Another of our favorites is the Atheneian Stuffed Potatoes -- a meatless meal from CL Complete.

Also, you can freeze feta.

I was also going to mention the feta with orzo. I sort of make it up as I go along, but it's a real winner in our house.
    Enjoy.
    TKay

My all time feta recipe.....

CL's Orecchiette w/Sausage, Peppers and Feta http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...ipe_id=1036158
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I really like this recipe from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Suppers.

Yellow Peppers Stuffed with Quinoa, Corn and Feta Cheese

2 cups water, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus a pinch, divided
    1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
    1 bunch scallions, including 2 inches of the
    greens, thinly sliced
    2 jalapenos, finely diced, seeded, if desired
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 3 ears) or frozen, thawed
    8 ounces spinach leaves
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    4 ounces feta cheese, diced
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    2 large red onions, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup white wine
    4 yellow or orange bell peppers

Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in 1/2 teaspoon
    salt and quinoa. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the grains
    are tender and reveal their spiraled germ, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to
    a simmer. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wide skillet over medium heat. Add scallions
    and jalapenos; cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add
    garlic, cumin, corn, spinach and 2 tablespoons water and cook, stirring
    occasionally, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer
    vegetables to a large bowl. Add the quinoa, cilantro and feta; toss to
    combine. Season with pepper.

Wipe out the skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and heat over medium high. Add
    onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they start to color around the
    edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in wine and stir with a wooden spoon,
    scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Season with a pinch
    of salt and pepper and transfer to one large or two medium baking dishes
    large enough to hold the peppers.

Slice peppers in half lengthwise without removing the tops or stems; remove
    the inner menbranes and seeds. Drop the peppers into the simmering water
    and cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife but not overly
    soft, 4 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board with a slotted spoon,
    fill with the quinoa mixture and place in the baking dish (or dished).
    Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the peppers.

Bake the peppers until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes. Switch heat to
    broil; cook until the tops are browned, about 4 minutes. Serve hot, warm,
    or at room temperature.
    Kristal

Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

This is really good. I usually don't toss with the dressing until I am ready to eat (you can eat at lunch over a few days that way).

Chicken Souvlaki Salad

The elements of a classic Greek salad and a chicken souvlaki sandwich combine in this piquant dish. You can also use lamb in place of the chicken.

2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic, divided
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
    3 cups cubed peeled cucumber (about 3 cucumbers)
    1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
    2 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 pound)
    1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1/4 cup grated peeled cucumber
    1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Preheat grill or broiler.
    Combine 1 teaspoon garlic and the next 6 ingredients (1 teaspoon garlic through chicken breast) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat. Remove chicken from the bag. Grill or broil chicken 5 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces.

Combine chicken, cubed cucumber, and the next 4 ingredients (cubed cucumber through tomatoes) in a large bowl. Combine yogurt and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over chicken mixture; toss well.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

CALORIES 259 (28% from fat); FAT 8.2g (satfat 3g, monofat 3.4g, polyfat 1g); PROTEIN 31.8g; CARBOHYDRATE 15.3g; FIBER 2.9g; CHOLESTEROL 79mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 679mg; CALCIUM 161mg;
    Cooking Light, JUNE 2002

I also have a bunch of leftover feta crumbles...I made this last night, which was easy and tasty (and used up a whole cup of the cheese):

Orzo with Spinach and Feta
    From CL December 1999

5 cups water
    2 cups uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
    5 cups coarsely chopped spinach
    1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add orzo. Cook 10 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain.
    Combine pasta, spinach, and feta in a large bowl. Combine oil and remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle lemon mixture over pasta mixture; toss well to coat.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 244(23% from fat); FAT 5.5g (sat 2.5g,mono 2g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 8.5g; CHOLESTEROL 13mg; CALCIUM 113mg; SODIUM 335mg; FIBER 2.4g; IRON 2.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.8g

I posted this one on the October bread thread. It was a real winner for us!

Greek Olive Bread Recipe

Nuggets of feta cheese and olives stud this delicious loaf, perfect with grilled or barbecued lamb or chicken.
    by Olga Drozd

1¼ hours 20 min prep

3-3 1/2 cups bread or unbleached all purpose flour
    1 (2 3/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast or fast rising yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup very warm water
    1 cup coarsely chopped pitted oil-cured olives or black olives
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, for brushing

In a large mixing bowl stir 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt together. Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the 2 tablespoons olive oil and the water. Stir until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.

Sprinkle a work surface with flour. Scrape dough out onto the floured surface. Dust the top of the dough with flour. Knead until the dough is smooth and develops small bubbles just under the surface, about 5 minutes, adding more flour if the dough gets sticky. Place in a clean, greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down the dough and pat it into a ½ inch thick circle. Sprinkle with the olives and cheese. Knead the dough lightly to incorporate the ingredients, then shape into a ball. Pat out to make a circle 8 inches in diameter.
    Place on a greased baking sheet. With a 3-inch round cutter, cut a circle in the center but leave the round of dough in place. (You can bake the removed center alongside the bread; it will probably cook faster than the circular loaf.)

Brush the dough with the 2 teaspoons of oil. Cover and let rise until puffy, 30 to 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is a rich golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool the bread on a wire rack before slicing.

Makes 1 round loaf.

Beatrice Ojakangas Baking Book.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Cauliflower, White Bean, And Feta Salad

this is my new favorite!!!

CAULIFLOWER, WHITE BEAN, AND FETA SALAD

1/3 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    2 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 medium head of cauliflower, trimmed, cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
    1 (15-ounce) can white beans (such as Great Northern or navy beans), drained
    2 large heads of Belgian endive, trimmed, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)

Combine oil and rosemary in small saucepan. Stir over medium heat just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Cool.

Whisk lemon juice, vinegar, lemon peel, salt, and pepper in small bowl.

Combine cauliflower, beans, endive, chives, parsley, and rosemary oil in medium bowl; toss. Mix in cheese. Add lemon juice mixture and toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper.

Makes 6 servings.
    Bon Appétit
    January 2007
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom