Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight Watchers January ~ Healthy New Year!

Weight Watchers January ~ Healthy New Year!

I get to start us off again for a new month - woo!

So...Happy New Year losers!

My husband and I decided if we could do a WI on Christmas before we ate all the Christmas goodies, then we could do a WI on New Year's Day after all the goodies are gone. I maintained, and considering how many holiday treats I had, I am beyond thrilled. My husband lost 2 lbs, and he was so happy.

I've been having a good time with my pedometer - it definitely shows when I'm being a lazy bum all day. I like the honesty in that you get in keeping track of aerobic activity as well; we've sped up our walks enough that we're down to a 30 min walk in place of a 45 min walk, so I'm going to try to add a loop or two to get us moving a little longer when we go.

The only resolution I could think of for the new year was continuing WW since it is working for me. We are slowly building up a repertoire of good and excellent recipes that are filling and low-cal, and that really pleases me.

I hope everyone has had a wonderful holiday - can't wait to hear how things are going for you!
    -- Nancy

Nancy- Congrats on the maintenance during the holidays. That's awesome! I wish I could say the same for myself.

Today I rejoined as I said I would. I found a meeting location .7 miles from my office so I walked over there and back during lunch. I was up 3 lbs from my last weigh in...an all time high for me.

So, I am back on plan. My pts. went up by 1 to 23 under the new plan. We'll see if I use it. I am also going to try not to use the full 35 flex this time, and definately not the activity points unless I do a long run or something and actually need them.

My biggest challenge is the meals so if you have any tried and true recipes that you like to use I'd love to hear of them. I am trying the Seseame Pork from WW TOT tonight. I'll let you know if it is any good.

Have a great day everyone!

Soooo hungry!

Hello all!

I have done exceptionally well with WW the last three days, keeping to my points every day. Because of the First Week Ease of Loss, I am down 5 pounds already, though some of that I had just gained - but it counts too! I know it will slow down after the Christmas pounds come off, but I'm happy about it. But right now, I am SO HUNGRY. Lunch is in 35 minutes ... perhaps I'll start it a little early. Snacking is one of my biggest challenges so I'm trying not to snack, though I did have a banana a bit ago. I know some diet gurus say it's important to snack, but for me, the joy of having food in my mouth leads me to want to have more food in my mouth - easier to just not start the cycle to begin with.

Anyway, so far, so good! I'm determined to get there this time.

Nancy - good job on maintaining! That is commendable over the holidays!!

Susan - what sorts of foods do you like? I have some fabulous salad recipes.

Good luck, everyone!
    Pam

Susan - Congrats on actually getting yourself to a meeting! What kind of point values are you looking at for dinners? Since my husband picks whatever sounds good and I modify it to get it closer to 30% from fat, most of what I cook is in the 6-9 pt range. I plan my meals for the week so that on a higher point entree night I've eaten less points during the day, but I'd rather recommend recipes that fit your meal planning.

Pam - I was super hungry my second week on WW; my husband was hungriest during the first week. I'd probably snack anyway, or reach for a huge glass of water. When I am not hungry (after lunch or breakfast), I measure out snacks to fill out my points in a day. Right now I'm on an apple kick, but I usually do carrots, grapes, or apples. I use snacks as an opportunity to shovel those fruits and veggies in as well as have a treat.

Nice hearing from both of you!
    -- Nancy

Pam- Way to go. I'd take the 5 lbs, no matter what the circumstances! Why not meal plan so that you can snack, or are you just worried you won't stop? Laughing cow cheese on some celery or an apple may take the hunger pangs away and cause you to overeat less at meals?

Re: what I like to eat and what point ranges I am looking at, I typcially have 10 pts or maybe a couple more left at dinner time. I can switch things up though--that just seems to be where I end up for the day.

I don't like seafood but other than that am pretty adventerous. I am trying to like mild fish, but it is a struggle.

I'd LOVE some good salad recipes, Pam. My DH travels a lot for work and so I don't generally cook much when he is away. Plus, I'd like to start bringing my lunch to work rather than buying. I love main meal salads, but unfortunately most of my recipes have gorgonzola, dried fruit, nuts etc. etc.

The good thing this time is I have told the group I eat lunch with at work that I am doing WW. So, hopefully they will be supportive. We have plans Friday night and I have already volunteered to sober drive. If I don't drink, I am far less likely to overeat, sad but true.

Nancy - Congrats on maintaining during the holiday season.

Susan - I must have 10 WW cookbooks. I need the nutritional info (as opposed to estimating that something would be worth however many points) and so this is just easy for me. I have found so many great recipes. I'll try to post the recipes I've tried.

Pam - Congrats on the weight loss!

My points changed, too. I was at 20, but with the new system I am at 15, but since they tell you should eat at least 18... So, I thought I would eat 17 and then combine it with time on the treadmill. Anyway, today was my first day totally planning and tracking on these new points and I was SO hungry after 18 that I had some more popcorn and brought it up to 19. I think I should go buy some 0 point veggies for snacking. Or maybe my body will feel less hungry as time goes on.

Anyway, I've been doing better these past few days with just eating less and I think I'm almost down to pre-Christmas break. I can't think of anything that would ruin me having total control of what I eat (meaning no dinners/lunches out, parties, etc.) I went to the gym Saturday and yesterday and will leave work in a few minutes to go this evening. Last night I went shopping and planned the entire work week's meals, including two recipes from my WW cookbooks. Unfortunately, today's meal and Thurday's will be frozen dinners since I was too tired to cook last night and will have no time tomorrow (Wednesday) night. Somehow I have gotten into a routine of cooking the night before, but not eating but rather saving them for the next day, with evening food being snacks (if anything).

Sorry for the novel, but you know, sometimes it helps to write about it.

Cranberry spinach salad

Okay, here's a yummy salad. I haven't figured the points yet as I haven't made it since I re-started WW. You don't need even half the dressing - just use a little for taste. Cut back on the cranberries and almonds if you wish (I don't bother to toast the almonds either, because why add the butter?!), but remember that cranberries and almonds are really good for you! I got this from allrecipes.com.

Cranberry Spinach Salad

INGREDIENTS

* 1 tablespoon butter (as mentioned above; I omit this)
    * 3/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
    * 1 pound spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
    * 1 cup dried cranberries
    * 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
    * 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
    * 1/2 cup white sugar
    * 2 teaspoons minced onion
    * 1/4 teaspoon paprika
    * 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    * 1/4 cup cider vinegar
    * 1/2 cup vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS

1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook and stir almonds in butter until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and let cool. (Or, save time and calories and skip this step!)

2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the toasted almonds and cranberries.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, onion, paprika, white wine vinegar, cider vinegar, and vegetable oil. Toss with spinach just before serving.

All right, with the recipe posted, here's a question on a different topic: what happens after you lose the weight?

I think about this a lot, because I know lots of people who lose and then re-gain. I have a friend who lost 70-80 pounds on WW a couple years ago, and is slowly regaining it all. I would guess she has re-gained 40-50 pounds. I don't want to do that once I lose the weight, so I really think about this a lot: What happens that makes people either re-gain or not? There has to be something that is key. I keep thinking that for emotional eaters like me, it must have to do with how well one learns to re-direct the stress, to deal with the challenging emotions, etc. Like, exchanging exercising for eating, or doing (and maintaining) daily meditations, or finding other things to keep one happy and healthy.

What about you guys? Do you think or worry about this? Once we get there, how will we ensure that we stayed there?

As for today, I did manage to stay within my points. I have found, though, that at times food makes me anxious - if I don't know how many points are in something, I'd almost rather not eat. Tonight I simply didn't want to have dinner because I wasn't sure of the points in my meal. I did eat because I didn't want to end up hungry, and thus binge. But the urge to completely avoid food is challenging to me. I think it stems from realizing I don't know how to eat healthfully and I'm afraid of doing it wrong. If I have things like Lean Cuisine, where the points are on the side, I don't worry because I know I'm doing it "right." But if there's guesswork involved: anxiety! I guess I just need to keep building up a base of knowledge on how to prepare healthy food for myself.

I also have two "treats" each day that make me very happy: a cup of chai tea (2 points as I prepare it) each morning, and a small square of dark chocolate (1 point) at night. I love them and very much look forward to them. Plus, tons of healthy things in them! Yay!

I also want to say ... those of you with fewer than 20 points - how do you do it?! I get 28 right now and I use every one. I can't imagine being at 15. Does your appetite diminish as your points allotment dimishes? I sure hope so ...

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferJJ View Post
    My points changed, too. I was at 20, but with the new system I am at 15, but since they tell you should eat at least 18... So, I thought I would eat 17 and then combine it with time on the treadmill.
    Holy cow! I re-joined WW today (Lifetime member in 1998 who has since re-gained all the lbs and then some ), and was surprised by the tweaks in the Points plan. My daily allotment by formula turns out to be 17 -- our new leader was overwhelmed by newbies tonight and didn't have a lot of time to discuss nuances of the plan. Glad to hear I can/should/need to do at least 18 pts per day.

As someone who enjoys a glass (or two or three) of wine at the end of the day/into the evening, I'll be hard-pressed to accommodate even one glass @ two pts per measly 4-oz serving (Had to drag out my "dainty" wine glasses tonight when I got home!) Being over 50, I need three servings of calcium each day, too. Guess that will accommodate my cheese habit.

I made a fairly satisfying dinner tonight, though. Chopped up a bunch of red/green/yellow bell pepper strips, red onion and stir-fried it in 1 tsp. of rosemary-infused olive oil. Added a chicken Italian sausage. Three points. And it only took about 5 minutes to make.

<sigh> I love to cook as much as I like to eat. This is going to be hard.

I am doing the "monthly pass" option. I haven't spent a lot of time at the Web site (and what time I did spend was with the somewhat clunky PointsTracker). Back in '98, I remember a tomato-based veggie soup that was either 0 or 1 pt per serving. Anyone have access to that recipe? I can't find any of my old materials....
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

I read the reviews on that salad over at allrecipes.com, Pam. It does sound yummy! I did some points massaging after sticking it into Mastercook and came up with a few options. As printed, with and without the butter, it comes out to 7 pts per serving (recipe serves 8), with ~2 tablespoons of dressing. I figured it with each serving having 1 T. of dressing at 4 pts, and if you halve the almonds and cranberries as well as using 1 T. of dressing, you get 3 pts. Mastercook really helps me get a better count of pts - I find the WW online recipe builder tedious to use, so I just copy online recipes into MC and stick the information into the points calculator. Knowing that I can just put the information into MC has relieved a lot of points anxiety, but eating out still kills me.

3 pts is pretty typical for an extra-flavorful side salad. I'm still in search of something 2 pts or less that wows me.

I'm definitely in your camp wondering how on earth people manage 15 pts a day - my goal weight is in the 20 pt range, and even that sounds impossible.

Also congrats on staying OP today!! The tea and chocolate treats sound like they really make you feel good.

Jennifer - congrats on getting back into things; eating your dinner for lunch sounds hard especially if you decide you want to eat leftover dinner at lunch and then cook and eat new dinner. With the points that you have, I imagine it's really hard to make it work.

I'll post some of my recipe favorites once I get my computer back; my stepson has been playing a computer game on my computer for 4 days, and the laptop doesn't have repeat MC files.

ETA: Welcome Jackie! 17 pts sounds crazy difficult to me, especially with 3 dairy. As to the vegetable soup recipe you are looking for, when I was thinking of joining WW in Oct 06, I believe that soup recipe was posted in this forum in the WW October thread.
    Last edited by Couperine; 01-02-2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: welcoming Jackie
    -- Nancy

JackieO,
    Is this the recipe you're thinking of?
    No Points Soup:
    1 can low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    1 can italian green beans (drained)
    1 can sliced carrots (drained)
    1 can zucchini in tomato sauce
    1 can italian seasoned diced tomatoes; basil, oregano, garlic
    Stir all ingredients together, heat and serve.

Welcome, Jackie! It sounds like the cutting back on the wine with dinner will be difficult for you. Good for you for looking for an option that lets you still enjoy something you like, but in smaller measure. Drinking the wine in smaller glasses will perhaps increase the aesthetic joy of the drink, and hopefully ease the pain of losing some of the joy of having more!

Jennifer, I think your plan of cooking the night before to have a larger meal at lunch makes sense. I find that a larger meal at lunch and just a light supper makes me feel much more satisfied than if I save points at lunch and indulge at dinner. Research bears it out, too, that a larger mid-day meal helps with weight loss. Good for you! Want to come cook for me, too? What meals do you have planned for the week?

I need to start doing that more, too: Planning. It's so key. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nancy, thanks for figuring the points to that salad! And the 1 Tbsp of dressing is plenty. It goes a long way and is delicious. I frequently just keep all the ingredients on hand, separate, and then toss up one serving for myself at dinner. That way the individual ingredients last longer, plus I can add more spinach for extra nutrition and to help fill me up. I can't help but feel like I'm doing something good for myself with this salad - I use olive oil rather than vegetable oil (forgot to mention that) so in every serving I get four superfoods - olive oil, spinach, almonds, cranberries.

Okay, I've said more than my share today so I'll say goodnight! It's good to have a place where I can share my thoughts rather than drowning them in food. Thanks to you all for being here!

What happens after you lose the weight?

I became a Lifetime member in August of 1997 after losing 26 pounds. I was only 23 years old.

I really didn't want to gain back the weight I had lost - I'd already joined and quit WW twice before, and didn't want to do it again. I've watched my mother gain and lose the same 50+ pounds all my life (I went to WW meetings with my parents when I was a little kid, sitting there with puzzle books in the meeting room), and I had no desire to repeat that cycle.

What I did was start working for WW. I started out behind the desk as one of the people who weighs in members, and that was a mere two months after reaching Lifetime. By February of 1998 I was a leader, doing what a year ago would be unthinkable to me - standing up in front of people I didn't know, TALKING.

I have been doing it ever since. I am CERTAIN it is the only reason I've stayed at (or near) my goal weight ever since. Having the continued accountability, and keeping it right in the forefront of my brain has been cruicial for me. So that's my specific story.

In general though, I think you need to be prepared to keep doing whatever it is you did to lose weight...for the rest of your life. If you aren't eating foods you like now, or doing activity you enjoy now, what makes you think you'll keep up with it 20 years from now? You must view this as a lifetime process. You will never be able to go back to "the way you used to eat", unless you want to go back to the way you used to weigh. One of the quotes from this week's meeting is "It's not a resolution, it's a lifestyle" and while that might sound kitschy, it's true. Following program is not a means to an end, it is you rethinking your relationship with food and healthy behaviors.

I could probably go on at length, but I'll spare you all...once I get started, I can't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by scout1222 View Post
    In general though, I think you need to be prepared to keep doing whatever it is you did to lose weight...for the rest of your life. If you aren't eating foods you like now, or doing activity you enjoy now, what makes you think you'll keep up with it 20 years from now? You must view this as a lifetime process. You will never be able to go back to "the way you used to eat", unless you want to go back to the way you used to weigh. One of the quotes from this week's meeting is "It's not a resolution, it's a lifestyle" and while that might sound kitschy, it's true. Following program is not a means to an end, it is you rethinking your relationship with food and healthy behaviors.
    *waves hi to her evil twin*

Scout said exactly what I was going to say. Once you lose the weight, it doesn't magically stay off. This is the time to learn how to eat for the rest of your life.

I'm coming up on my 5 year anniversary at goal, and although I am a bit over goal currently (I admit - holiday excess!), I am working to take off those few pounds so I can celebrate those 5 years!

Susan
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

:: waves back ::

Good point that I meant to address, I think.

Last year at this time, I weighed in at a weight I hadn't seen before, except on the way down. (for the record, it was 140, which is the top end of the range for my height - so I was "legal" for WW but not where I wanted to be) I had to get back on track to get the weight off, and my final weigh-in for 2006 I clocked in at 130.4, which is 3.6 pounds under my original goal weight.

So the struggle, it continues. There will be ups and downs, I'm just hoping that I catch my ups early, like when it's just 5-10 pounds instead of having to start all over again!

Quote Originally Posted by PamWA View Post
    Jennifer, I think your plan of cooking the night before to have a larger meal at lunch makes sense. I find that a larger meal at lunch and just a light supper makes me feel much more satisfied than if I save points at lunch and indulge at dinner. Research bears it out, too, that a larger mid-day meal helps with weight loss. Good for you! Want to come cook for me, too? What meals do you have planned for the week?

I need to start doing that more, too: Planning. It's so key. Thanks for the inspiration!
    !
    Well, part of the reason that I decided to eat my main meal at work is just timing: The gym is on the way home, so if that is in my plans, that adds more time until I get home. Also, I often have somewhere to go in the evening that is in the opposite direction of home, so it wouldn't make sense to go home. So, by the time I would get home and cook, it could be 8p.m. or later before I eat and I don't like late eating when I'm trying to lose weight.

Meals for this week:
    Well, Tuesday was a Lean Cuisine. Then today was supposed to me Prosciutto with Peas from WW Italian cookbook. It's rather easy to make and the whole recipe is only 8 points so I can eat it all in one day so it's fresher. But, I got home too late so I had a Kashi Black Bean Mango frozen meal (7 points). My co-worker had one yesterday and I got hooked. The only problem was the cost - $4. So hopefully tonight I'll prepare the peas.

I realized why this is taking so long (I definitely won't be on one of those commercials...she lost 10 pounds in 6 months): This is soooo much work. I'll be disciplined for a few days with points and exercise and then I can't take it any longer. Yeah, sometimes I'll have a challenging situation (for me it's group dinners), but this long, come on! And now that I'm working, I'm just so tired. It's just an ordeal to make sure I have my food packed and my gym bag packed when I leave in the morning. So, then I wondered this morning since this is so much work, why I couldn't just do it when I was unemployed FOR FIVE MONTHS when I definitely had more time. Oh, well.

But anyway, I do have a focus now and I'm hoping I can reach my goal before my leader leaves to go down south for the winter (in a few weeks) then at least I don't have to worry about working out like this everyday.

Yesterday I was REALLY hungry - I targeted for 17 points, they say to at least eat 18 but I ended up with 19. So on the way home, I went to the grocery store and bought a lot of 0 point veggies. But today, I'm not really hungry. I think I will need to wait a little to figure out what the right amount of points is for me. Today I ended up with 17.5, just because they tell you to have 18, I thought I'd get a little closer. But the truth is that I would have felt fine with the 16.5. But I don't want to find that I gain/don't lose because my body needed more. Ugh!!!

Pam - I think it probably is no different that getting more points because you are also at a higher weight. The only difference I see is that you just can't have as much wherever you go and everything is portioned for more.

I am also worried about gaining once I lose. I have also lost/gained other times in my life. The only reason I joined WW was that I am pretty sure that I was at a lifetime high and I had hardly any work clothes that fit. I had one pair of stretch pants that I strecthed, a suit that was really a little too small for me and two dresses that were a little loose. And I wanted to look nice at my job. You know, I really have no interest in being drunk or even getting a buzz and I LOVE wine. But when it comes to alcohol, I know that I can have only a few and then I'll have to wait til another time. Why can't I do the same with food?

Maybe I'll remember the amount of money I paid to WW?

Jackie - I really don't know how I would get enough dairy in each day if I needed three servings. I have 1 C of milk each day with cereal and take a calcium pill. Welcome!

Well, off to the gym. I am a little worried that I forgot my gym shoes at home.

Quote Originally Posted by PamWA View Post
    Welcome, Jackie! It sounds like the cutting back on the wine with dinner will be difficult for you. Good for you for looking for an option that lets you still enjoy something you like, but in smaller measure. Drinking the wine in smaller glasses will perhaps increase the aesthetic joy of the drink, and hopefully ease the pain of losing some of the joy of having more!
    Isn't it funny the little tricks we have to employ to give us a chance at success? I have a set of lovely leaded crystal wine glasses, that while heavy, are of the less-than-goblet proportions. So that's what I'm using.

Today was a good day.....I spaced out my food allotment and never really felt hungry. I have a few good carry-overs from my previous WW experience. I always drink a lot of water; I always have a piece of fruit for breakfast; I usually have a 5.5-oz can of V-8 mid-morning. Those kinds of things. DH and I had tasty salads tonight that I figure came out to 5.5 points for me -- baby spinach dressed with 1 tsp. olive oil and pear-balsamic vinegar, 1 oz. bleu cheese crumbles, 1 Tbsp. toasted pecans (wanted walnuts but didn't have any), and 1.5 oz. smoked salmon. DH had a mix of spinach/romaine/iceberg and added some olives and ate his with French/bleu cheese dressing.

Diane Thanks for the soup recipe, but I found the one I was looking for with a little search effort on the WW site this morning. It's basically a huge bunch of fresh veggies that you cook down in veggie stock. I'm off to make a batch in a few minutes. After I found it, I didn't bother to look through the October thread on this board, since I'm pretty sure I found what I was looking for. But thanks for the tip, Couperine.

I'm also planning to mix up ingredients for a batch of baked oatmeal to slide in the oven tomorrow. That stuff is very filling for few points (I'll have to recalculate) and there's a ton of milk in it, so it will have to count toward my calcium intake.

I've decided I'm not going to knock myself out with three "milk" servings each day. Despite living in Wisconsin, I HATE, HATE, HATE drinking milk. Today I had a half-cup of cottage cheese for breakfast, a 6-oz serving of yogurt as a snack, and there was some calcium in the salmon and bleu cheese, after all. If I'm mindful of my foods and take a calcium supplement -- I might even start on calcium-enriched tums due to the heartburn I seem to be getting more frequently! -- I should be ok. I am <just> 50, so it's not like my bones have been sucked dry already!

Continued good luck and good vibes to everyone!
    "I cook with wine; sometimes I even add it to the food."
    ---W.C.Fields

There are a lot of people who spend their entire lives losing and gaining weight. They never learn the skills of maintainence. I had regained and lost weight countless times before this last time. Part of it was what I was doing to lose the weight was too restrictive or it was emotional where something happened and I lost control again. This last time I am pretty sure I would have maintained the entire loss if it wasn't for the health problems I was dealing with. Once those were corrected I have started losing again and now am almost in brand new territory. Because I did maintain for so long, I think I have finally figured it out. For a little while it will be a bit of an experiment to see how much food you need to maintain weight. It will always be a combination of food intake and active lifestyle. As you get older you may have to adjust down in calories if you start slowing down and as your metabolism slows down. For me it is imperative to be more active....calorie restriction alone is totally just not enough. And once I get down to where I am satisfied I will have a range of maybe 5 lbs. If I go above those five pounds it's time to tighten the reins. So while that is still not technically maintaining the exact same weight, it's better than gaining a significant amount back and having to relearn positive habits.

Update: I've been a little MIA lately. I didn't reach my onederland goal for new years but I did see 203 which was new territory for me. I'm 4 lbs away from brand new numbers as an adult and I'm very excited about that. I'm totally ready for new clothes as I'm bored to tears with my current wardrobe. Boxing is fantastic. I've been going 4x a week and I love it. I think I finally have an activity that gets me excited about going.
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Hi ladies, and welcome to the new folks!

Not too much to report in here. I have had two solid days on plan (my pts are 23 and I have eaten 22 each day).

Tuesday- I had a banana protein shake with Kefir (I highly recommend Kefir if you haven't tried it....it is a probiotic drink, sort of like yogurt) for breakfast, a turkey sandwich with Dijon mustard on whole wheat and an apple for lunch. For dinner I had the Sesame Pork from WW TOT (it was nice), 1/2 cup rice and steamed snow peas. I also had a 2PT WW frozen bar for dessert.

Wed- I had 2 slices of raisin toast with promise spread for breakfast, a beef stir fry for lunch (we have one of those Mongolian BBQ--make your own stir fry places--near my office), and a protein shake with a banana for dinner.

I realized yesterday that it is a BAD idea to use so many points during the day. The toast with butter was a bad choice coming in at 7pts. By dinner, I only had 5pts left, hence the protein shake.

I plan to make roast chicken and red potatoes tonight, also from WW TOT.

My DH is on a business trip and luckily the other guy with him also has a wife doing WW. So, they were comparing their points and had a quick dinner since they didn't want to "waste" points on alcohol. Guess a long corporate dinner isn't as fun with a glass of iced tea It is helpful to have him being not only supportive, but trying to follow along. He probably needs to lose 10 lbs so hopefully he will continue to be supportive when he reaches his goal!

My personal trainer tracked me down to see when I am going to restart our sessions so I start back next wed am. I cringe at seeing him again!

I haven't exercised this week but hope to get back into it this weekend.

JackieO--I think you found what you were looking for but wanted to pass along that one of the pamphlets I got when I joined in Tuesday ("Eat Well" I think it was called) had a veggie soup recipe. If you want it, please let me know.

Pam and Nancy-Thanks for the salad recipe and points breakdown. My DH is out of town all next week so I think I will be eating lots of salads next week!

Have a great day everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by greysangel View Post
    Update: I've been a little MIA lately. I didn't reach my onederland goal for new years but I did see 203 which was new territory for me. I'm 4 lbs away from brand new numbers as an adult and I'm very excited about that. I'm totally ready for new clothes as I'm bored to tears with my current wardrobe. Boxing is fantastic. I've been going 4x a week and I love it. I think I finally have an activity that gets me excited about going.
    We must have been posting at the same time. Congrats on the new territory, that is absolutely wonderful! I am sure you will get into onderland very soon. I hear you on the wardrobe, I am afraid my coworkers are going to think I only own two suits--I swear I am constantly recycling them.

My gym doesn't have classes but the one down the street does (and we can use it) I am going to see if they have boxing. I need something to motivate me on the exercise front.

I did make some great new workout mixes over the holidays. I find that the IPOD can really get me in the mood if the songs are good!

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferJJ View Post
    I realized why this is taking so long (I definitely won't be on one of those commercials...she lost 10 pounds in 6 months): This is soooo much work. I'll be disciplined for a few days with points and exercise and then I can't take it any longer. Yeah, sometimes I'll have a challenging situation (for me it's group dinners), but this long, come on! And now that I'm working, I'm just so tired. It's just an ordeal to make sure I have my food packed and my gym bag packed when I leave in the morning. So, then I wondered this morning since this is so much work, why I couldn't just do it when I was unemployed FOR FIVE MONTHS when I definitely had more time. Oh, well.

Yesterday I was REALLY hungry - I targeted for 17 points, they say to at least eat 18 but I ended up with 19. So on the way home, I went to the grocery store and bought a lot of 0 point veggies. But today, I'm not really hungry. I think I will need to wait a little to figure out what the right amount of points is for me. Today I ended up with 17.5, just because they tell you to have 18, I thought I'd get a little closer. But the truth is that I would have felt fine with the 16.5. But I don't want to find that I gain/don't lose because my body needed more. Ugh!!!
    Jennifer - listen to your body! The 35 WPA are there for a reason - they are a part of the program! Trust me, when I was losing, I used every single point available to me - daily, WPA, and AP - and I had no problems losing!

If you are having issues with sticking with the program day to day, maybe take a look at why? Are you eating "diet" foods, and feeling unhappy about it? Find what makes you happy - is it smaller portions, or is it lower-fat substitutions? Work with the program - don't fight it!

Susan
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by greysangel View Post
    And once I get down to where I am satisfied I will have a range of maybe 5 lbs. If I go above those five pounds it's time to tighten the reins. So while that is still not technically maintaining the exact same weight, it's better than gaining a significant amount back and having to relearn positive habits.
    What do you mean not technically maintaining? That's exactly what you're doing girl! No one's weight will ever consistently stay at the exact same number, there are always fluctuations. So what I'm saying is, you've got it figured out exactly!

Hi there!

Just wanted to say that I am one of those New Year's Resolution people joining WW. I've done the plan before, last time was 2.5 years ago, but I had such a difficult year last year and I think I let myself get a little out of control in the food and wine departments. Cutting back on wine in the evenings will definitely be difficult for me, too. I've got a good solid 30 pounds to lose, but will be happy with each mini-marker -- 5, 10, 10%, etc. I know that something has clicked and that it's time for me to get back to a healthier weight and lifestyle.

I look forward to reaching my goals with all of you!!

Jen

Hello to all and Happy New Years! I have been sick for awhile so I have been absent and not working out as much as I should. But I got a workout in on Tuesday and today. My weigh in today was down 0.5lb. That puts me at down 6 lbs since I started. I am happy with this as I have not done well with tracking my points over the holidays and am now just getting back on track.

I am doing WW on my own and not going to any meetings or online. I have 20points a day which I use and I also use my extra points every week. I don't keep track of activity points so I don't use those. I made the Black Bean and Chicken Chiliquiles from CL last night and had them for lunch today too with some steamed broccoli- yum! Dinner tonight will be the All American Chili and salad.

Hope everyone is having a good week and welcome Jen!

Hi All - Wanted to join back in. I have been on WW since Sept 2006 and dropped 13 lbs. I have not seen a loss nor a gain for the last month or so. I am a lifetime member - since 1992 - although I was pretty young when I got it so now WW needs to adjust my goal. I would like to lose another 4 lbs before I set the goal - even though I am within range. I WI on Saturday morning and will talk to the leader and decide.

I have been eating well within my 19 points - I am very good with breakfast/lunch, but when I come home I am ravished! I tend to snack before dinner. I need to start bringing a snack with me for my metro ride home - or eat my snacks later in the day.

I am glad to say that I restarted my pilates classes and they are really reshaping my body. My body has changed so much since the classes even though I have not lost any additional weight.

Good luck to everyone this week on their WIs.

Jen
    Jennifer M.

"Love cures people - both the ones who give it and the ones who receive it."

Hello everyone,

Well I was doing real well for the last few days until today -- I ate three of those Skinny Cows sandwiches today. The moral of that story is that I just need to not buy them, it's just too tempting. This is the first time I bought them in months. Need to just pass those by when I am shopping. Got a problem with portion control.

It frustrates me that sometimes I just toss portion sense out the window.

I just like having something sweet at night. In the summer it's not a problem since I love summer fruit.

Great going. Keep up the good work everyone!

Hello all!!

According to my scale, I have lost some this week. I am not sure how accurate it is (it was a Christmas gift from my Mom) yet, so we'll see on Saturday at my WI how I really did.

I am sure this Saturday the meeting will be packed, because all those who made New Year's resolutions will show up. I just hope they will all stick with it!! I gained about 2 pounds over the holidays, but my own New Year's resolution is to reach goal weight, if not lower, by my second anniversary with WW, at the end of February. Definitely feasible considering I am 2 pounds away from it...but I have been 2 pounds away for months now. :mad:

Congratulations to all the losers out there!

Angela

P.S. I got my hamster groomed today, so that should count for at least half a pound weight loss.

P.P.S. Editing to add....half a pound?? Make that 2 pounds! Maybe it was just the stress of the whole thing.
    Last edited by Angelina; 01-05-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Hello everyone,

Well I was doing real well for the last few days until today -- I ate three of those Skinny Cows sandwiches today. The moral of that story is that I just need to not buy them, it's just too tempting. This is the first time I bought them in months. Need to just pass those by when I am shopping. Got a problem with portion control.
    Oh man, I've been there and done that.

In fact, there is a new bar flavor that WW is selling in the meeting rooms - Sweet and Salty. I tried them for the first time on Wednesday, and they are GOOD. Frankly, too good. I will never buy them and have them in the house again because I know that I will likely eat all four of them at once. I know this is a food I can't control myself around.

Hi everyone, I had a few questions about WW and was hoping you could help.

About 6 years ago I lost a lot of weight (approx. 75 pounds) I did this on my own with a healthier diet and starting to exercise. I lost an additional 6 lbs pound 3 years ago and was maintaining that weight ever since...until I started my current job. I've gained 6 pounds over the last 6 months with my new job - very sedentary and lots of snacks/treats around the office, and very stressful at times. I still exercise and try to eat healthy but cannot seem to lose the 6 lbs.

I'm thinking about trying WW online so I have some control and regularity in my diet. I want to lose the 6 lbs and be able to keep it off for good. My current weight is still a healthy weight for my height. Will WW be useful to lose and maintain this weight loss?

Thanks!

Hi Jane. Weight Watchers is essentially a food program that stresses balanced eating, regular activity, and thinking about your food choices and behaviors. That's something that anyone can benefit from, whether you need to lose 10 pounds or 100.

For me personally, the key to my success on WW was the meetings. It provided weekly accountability that kept me focused. Knowing that I'd have to weigh in each week (and have other people around to hear about it) really helped me stay focused. So for me personally, I'm not sure I'd get as much out of the WW Online. You'll still get all the mechanics of the program, but you'll really need to be disciplined to stick with it. If you think you can, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it.