Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP!! YIKES!! I left the rack in when I self cleaned the oven

HELP!! YIKES!! I left the rack in when I self cleaned the oven

Ok - so I went to clean my double ovens today, I left the rack in...now they are discolored. :mad:

I know I was to take them out, needless to say that didn't happen.

Is there ANY way to make them "silver shiny" again?

TIA
    Julie

Nope. I leave mine in anyway. I don't care if they are shiny or not, just like that they are clean. If shine is important, then you can always get new ones from your oven manufacturer.

That's odd. I was under the impression that the racks were supposed to be left in the oven when you self cleaned it! Sorry no words of wisdom to offer...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I've done this too. I don't really care that the racks aren't shiny anymore, but the texture of the surface changed, too, and that drives me nuts. Rather than sliding cleanly in and out, they have a gritty drag to them now. I hate it.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone does know of a way to return them to their original state.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Found this on the net:

If your range manual recommends it, you may leave the oven racks in for the cleaning cycle; however, they will discolor, lose their shine, and become hard to slide in and out. If you do leave them in, afterward rub the edges of the racks and of guides on oven walls with soapy steel wool pad, wipe off, and then rub few drops of salad oil on edges for easier sliding. It's probably better to take racks out before cleaning cycle and clean them by hand.

Hope that helps.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone View Post
    Nope. I leave mine in anyway. I don't care if they are shiny or not, just like that they are clean. If shine is important, then you can always get new ones from your oven manufacturer.
    What Funnybone said. Don't care if they're shiny, just so they're clean. I just had the self-cleaning running on the ovens the other day. Man oh man did I do a number on them this holiday season! Now if I could just get self-cleaning floors!
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Quote Originally Posted by SweetTooth View Post
    Ok - so I went to clean my double ovens today, I left the rack in...now they are discolored. :mad: I know I was to take them out, needless to say that didn't happen. Is there ANY way to make them "silver shiny" again?TIA
    When we were selling our house in DC, an inspector pompously announced that the racks were discolored, which totally freaked the potential buyers! I showed the inspector the stove's instruction manual which said that was exactly what would happen!

ok - I guess I will have to live with them this way...I don't want to purchase new ones.

I will try the trick posted by lonetree to make them slide easier.

Thanks everyone!
    Julie

After I'd bought my bright, shiny new oven, DH (a gadget fanatic) decided to try the self-cleaning feature. Naturally, he didn't read the instructions, which said all over the place to remove the racks. I came home (he always does these things when I'm out), and freaked out! I didn't notice a significant change in the racks, but I chewed out DH for not playing nicely with my toy!

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraL View Post
    After I'd bought my bright, shiny new oven, DH (a gadget fanatic) decided to try the self-cleaning feature. Naturally, he didn't read the instructions, which said all over the place to remove the racks. I came home (he always does these things when I'm out), and freaked out! I didn't notice a significant change in the racks, but I chewed out DH for not playing nicely with my toy!
    You mean he cleaned the oven when it wasn't even dirty yet? Just for the fun of it? If so, I really have to put this in the different strokes for different folks category of entertainment choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    You mean he cleaned the oven when it wasn't even dirty yet? Just for the fun of it? If so, I really have to put this in the different strokes for different folks category of entertainment choices.

Well, no, he's not that bad! At the time, the oven could use a cleaning, although it wasn't so dirty that it had to be done that second without reading the oven's instructions! or without checking to see if I was planning to use the oven! Another time, he pulled out the kitchen sink (he wanted to switch the kitchen enamel sink with a stainless steel one from downstairs) in the late afternoon. I came home with groceries, planning to make dinner, and my kitchen sink was sitting on the floor! Take-out for dinner that night . . .

If you're really unhappy about it you can call the manufacturer to order new racks. When we bought our house, the oven racks were hopelessly greasy (I know, strange.) I called Kitchenaid and they sent me some new ones - not cheap though, it was over $100.

I have routinely left my racks in the oven with two different ovens. They are discolored, which doesn't bother me.

A very fast way to return them to sliding easily after each cleaning is to rub Crisco on the bottom of the edges of the racks. Takes less than a minute and works every time.

Kay