Community Message Boards

Thread: Sides for Crab Cakes

Sides for Crab Cakes

My father has requested crab cakes for his birthday dinner (my mother will make his favorite recipe -- it doesn't matter how good the crab cake is, he insists my mother's are better). I'm doing a birthday cake for dessert, and I've volunteered to be in charge of the side dishes.

Some mixed greens underneath the crab cakes seems the logical choice, but I know my dad well enough to know he'll expect a starchy side as well. I'm stumped. It just seemed like crab cakes are already starchy enough.

You all always manage to come through, and I'd love any help you can give this time!

I love crab cakes! Not sure what your Mom's recipe is like, but what about Asian-style slaw and sweet potato oven fries?

My perfect summer meal is crabcakes, garden tomato salad, and Sagaponack Corn Pudding from Ina Garten. I think it could be winterized by swapping out the tomato salad with mixed greens, or even a spinach salad. The corn pudding is great; not that tamale-like stuff I see on Thanksgiving buffets but somewhere between spoonbread and a custard. It's delicious, rich, but not too - too starchy.

Here's the recipe (and it would be fine with frozen corn, 2 T butter, and less cheese):

Sagaponack Corn Pudding

Recipe By :Barefoot Contessa Family Style - Ina Garten
    Serving Size : 8
    Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 pound unsalted butter
    5 cups fresh corn kernels -- 6-8 ears, cut off cobs
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    4 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup half and half
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    3 tablespoons fresh basil -- chopped
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 cup cheddar cheese, extra sharp -- grated
    extra cheddar cheese -- to sprinkle on top

Preheat the oven to 375. Grease the inside of an 8-10 cup baking dish.

Melt butter in large saute pan and saute the onion and corn over medium high heat for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, and half-and-half in large bowl. Slowly whisk in cornmeal, and then ricotta. Add the basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked corn mixture and grated cheddar. Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle the top with more cheddar.

Place the dish in larger pan and fill the pan halfway up the sides with hot tap water. Bake the pudding 40 to 45 minutes, until the top begins to brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

My Crab Cake recipe is not at all starchy. It only uses an egg and a minimum of fresh bread crumbs to bind the ingredients.

It is his birthday, and unless he has recently required a special diet change, I would serve the food he likes best. What seems ideal to you, might not appeal to your father. Let him try other crab cake menus on a less festive occasion.

My first thought was sauteed corn and peppers, but I don't know if you can find fresh corn this time of year.
    (Jen, I've always wanted to try that BC recipe! Oh, love the sweet potatoes fries, too. Must.make.crabcakes.)

Maybe roasted fingerling (or tiny) potatoes? Just olive oil, s&p, and fresh herbs to complement the crabcake recipe? Would some kind of a simple orzo dish work?

I know this wasn't your question, but I'm wondering about the "mixed greens underneath". Do you mean salad? I would think anything moist would cause them to get soggy, no?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

All wonderful suggestions! Thank you, thank you!

My Crab Cake recipe is not at all starchy. It only uses an egg and a minimum of fresh bread crumbs to bind the ingredients.
    Yeah, well, I didn't say I thought it was the greatest crab cake recipe, but my dad loves it and to each his own.

I know this wasn't your question, but I'm wondering about the "mixed greens underneath". Do you mean salad? I would think anything moist would cause them to get soggy, no?
    Good point, but for some reason, I've seen a number of recipes like this. Maybe they just get sort of "wilted" rather than soggy?

Sagaponack Corn Pudding

Recipe By :Barefoot Contessa Family Style - Ina Garten
    Serving Size : 8
    Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 pound unsalted butter
    5 cups fresh corn kernels -- 6-8 ears, cut off cobs
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    4 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup half and half
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 cup ricotta cheese
    3 tablespoons fresh basil -- chopped
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 cup cheddar cheese, extra sharp -- grated
    extra cheddar cheese -- to sprinkle on top

I may be missing the point of an Ina recipe, but do you think this could be done with fat free half and half? I'm always wary of that substitution.

[QUOTE=MissFood;1151658]Yeah, well, I didn't say I thought it was the greatest crab

I was only wondering what it is in your Mother's recipe, that makes it starchy.

Quote Originally Posted by MissFood View Post
    I may be missing the point of an Ina recipe, but do you think this could be done with fat free half and half? I'm always wary of that substitution.
    I'm sure it would be fine with FF half and half...I'm not a fan of the stuff myself, but I know lots of people cook with it all the time. I might be inclined to just use 2 cups of 2% or whole milk, instead of one cup milk and one cup HH.

Yeah, Ina ALWAYS needs to be lightened, and I'm not a compulsive lightener! I can't imagine how rich this would be with a whole stick of butter just to saute the veggies.

You could serve it with Elia's roasted chicken and veggies and give gift certificates for by-pass surgery as party favors!

Pride: Roasted Chicken with Vegetables

Ingredients:
    1 whole chicken, giblets removed, legs tied together with kitchen twine
    4 sticks butter, cut into pieces
    5 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
    5 zucchini, sliced
    8 ounces button mushrooms, cut in half
    12 ounces fingerling potatoes, sliced lengthwise
    4 sprigs fresh rosemary
    8 sprigs fresh thyme
    salt and pepper for seasoning

Directions:
    1. Heat oven to 350F.
    2. Using about 1/4 cup butter, rub chicken all over, evenly coating the bird. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
    3. Combine carrots, zucchini, mushrooms and potatoes in a large roasting pan. Spread into one layer in bottom of pan. Distribute remaining pieces of butter evenly over top of vegetables.
    4. Top with chicken and sprinkle with herb sprigs.
    5. Roast for 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours, depending on size of chicken, until chicken is golden brown and has reached an internal temperature of 165F.
    6. To serve: Cut chicken into four to eight pieces. Divide vegetables between plates and top with chicken
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

[QUOTE=ADM;1151671]
    Quote Originally Posted by MissFood View Post
    Yeah, well, I didn't say I thought it was the greatest crab

I was only wondering what it is in your Mother's recipe, that makes it starchy.
    I'm not sure. I think it's less the breadiness as that she breaks all the crab up, so it has sort of a uniform, cakey texture. I'm partial to the kind that are huge lumps of crab bound together by barely anything...the kind that practically fall apart as soon as you touch them. YUM.