Community Message Boards

Thread: Store-bought pizza dough

Store-bought pizza dough

Does anyone use this? I bought a whole-wheat dough with an eye toward making a quick dinner when I get home late. I'd never tried it before. Though I certainly liked the ease of preparation, the finished crust tasted a bit gluey to me. The bottom was done but the inner layer of dough not finished to my liking (even though the top was quite brown).

Is there a secret to using this dough, e.g., pre-baking it like a pie crust? I do have a pizza stone but didn't use it with this dough.

Are you referring to Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough? I've tried theirs a number of times, and it's always been a little gluey. We switched to their regular pizza dough, it was much better. Now I just make my own.

I always prebake the dough (TJ's and others) on the grill if possible, 3-4 minutes on each side. We like the crisp crust this makes. When there's a mild day (MN winter, although this one has been abnormally warm --40s-- and little or no snow) I grill up several doughs, cool, bag and slip in the freezer for a quick meal later on. Pre-baking in the over works but without the grill marks and slightly smokey flavor. Try again; good luck to you!

We use the frozen ones from Whole Foods and they are amazing. Perfectly crispy and good flavor.

Personally, I use frozen bread dough. I let it rise all day, then smash it down, let it rise a bit again and then roll it out. I've never had a problem with it being gluey - it renders probably the best pizza I've ever made at home this way

Only problem is my grocery store doesn't sell frozen whole wheat bread dough....oh well, we can't be perfect all the time I guess

Wegman's has fresh WW and AP pizza dough (i.e., it is in their prepared food section and is not frozen--needs to be used quickly) and I have had good luck with it. I don't both pre-cooking.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try pre-baking the crust.

I pre-bake as well and like someone else mentioned do an extra one or two for the freezer. If you have a Bertucci restaurant near you-they sell their pizza dough and I think it is pretty good! If I am going to use it right away, I get it rolled out-if not, just the lump. No price difference-I think a small is about $1.25 but am not positive.

Sheila in MD

Great idea. No Bertucci (or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, alas) nearby, but I think I will check with the local pizza place to see if they sell a better dough. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer8 View Post
    Great idea. No Bertucci (or Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, alas) nearby, but I think I will check with the local pizza place to see if they sell a better dough. Thanks.
    The last time I did grilled pizza I went to the local pizza place and asked. They didn't even hesitate so I don't think I was the first to ask. Just pick a place that you like their crust when you buy a whole pie!

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw