Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt pig? Salt box? Do you use one?

Salt pig? Salt box? Do you use one?

When I cook, I typically keep a small wooden bowl of kosher salt next to me. The problem is, I have to keep refilling it often (it only holds a couple of tablespoons). I'm wondering what you use and what the advantages/disadvantages are to either a salt pig or a salt box or something like that. I would use a larger bowl, but with small kids in the house, it would be nice to have something a little bit more protected. (Not that they couldn't reach their hands into a salt pig, but...)
    Thanks for any input.
    TKay

I use a wide-mouthed jar with a stopper (I think I got it at Pier 1), maybe a couple of inches tall. It holds a goodly amount, and isn't unattractive.

I use something probably intended as a sugar bowl that I picked up at an antique store. It holds about a cup of salt, so I don't have to refill it often.

I keep some kosher salt in a small ramekin on the back of my stove, out of the reach of the kids.

I keep a four-ounce Pyrex rameken in the cabinet. I just pull it out when I need it. We do live in a dry climate, so I've never had a problem with the salt caking on me. I like the idea of the Pier 1 bottle; when my foot isn't broken any more, I think I'll go look for one.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

I received a salt pig for my birthday. I have a tray along the back of the counter to the right of the stove and it holds my salt pig, giant peppermill, bottle of olive oil, and a utensil caddy. I like the salt pig- I can reach in and grab a pinch w/o having to remove a lid, plus it has a generous capacity. The shape helps keep the salt dry and clean, though I have had to train DH to be more careful when spraying the countertop with cleaner.

I used to use a small, stopper-sealed jar, but it broke. Now I use something like an extra-wide, shallow ramekin. I actually prefer the ramekin, although I dump it every 5-7 days and wash it, because I feel it gets dirty. I prefer it though because it is just so much easier to quickly pinch salt with your fingers with it--plus I don't accidentally oversalt things that way (using a spoon). It does pose problems when I am salting meat, but heck no method of getting salt and pepper onto raw meat is good--they all involve issues with germs and raw meat.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Doesn't dust get in those open bowls? In my kitchen it would. I use a ceramic jar with an airtight lid. It holds a cup of salt easily. Bought it at TJMaxx.

I have a small white ceramic bowl that came with a metal hinged lid (probably meant to be a sugar bowl) that holds about 1/4 cup. It even has a little spoon! That's by the stove.

Over on the counter I have a small glazed ceramic pot from Cozumel, Mexico (about the size of a small ramekin) which I keep covered with a Pringles plastic lid (fit perfectly!).

I've got two dogs that seem to produce a lot of dust and fine hairs so I like to keep my salt well covered. I've considered a wooden salt box as they hold about a cup and are covered.
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

i'm using a ramekin- i fill it half way so the salt doesn't have much of a chance getting dusty.

i like the idea of the one alton brown uses- a lid that can be open one-handed but i can't seem to find anything like it.
    Cheryl

Cheryl, here it is.

I received a gift of two small (3.5") Emile Henry ramekins and didn't know what to do with them, so one became my salt bowl. It sits on top of a glass jar on my counter - within reach of the stove but out of range of sputtering stuff, just a quick reach away. No kids in my house, but it would be out of reach anyhow. At DBF's I use a French jelly jar (with lid) that sits on a rack above the stove.

Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I use a small ramekin. It sits on my counter, and my kosher salt is in the cabinet beneath the counter so it is easy to refill when I need to. I have nver covered mine,

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by manetta View Post
    That is what I have too and I love it. It keeps the contents protected but swings open easily - even if you only have one free hand.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

I have a salt pig ever since I saw Nigella LAwson use one
    LOVE IT! If dust gets in there, I am pretending I don't know
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I use an Alton Brown Sodium Chloride Containment Unit... The top keeps the dust/grease out, but it doesn't require 2 hands to open...

ETA -- I never saw a salt pig, before... those look great, too!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Manetta, I saw that in one of their catalogs and figured I didn't need another, but it's on sale and now I can't resist. I can keep my ceramic one next to the stove and the wood one in my prep area. Thanks!!!

http://www.kitchenclassics.com/salt_pig.htm
    Mine is just navy blue with no british flag

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    I use something probably intended as a sugar bowl that I picked up at an antique store. It holds about a cup of salt, so I don't have to refill it often.

I have this Pfaltzgraff Sugar and Creamer set. I use the sugar bowl for my kosher salt and use the creamer for sauces and gravies. They work well for those applications.

I have a salt pig that I love. I keep Kosher salt in there and use it all the time. Mine has a little wooden spoon that came with it so I don't have to use my potentially dirty hands.
    I'm planning on buying them for friends for birthday gifts since I love mine so much.

This is similar to the one I have.

http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...oogle%2Bsearch

-elizabeth

I've got the kids (2 but they can't reach the center of the counters) and the dogs (3 including a dust bunny of a german sheperd) but because I clean my salt bowl every few days, I don't worry about it being open. I can't imagine that I get any more dirt in my food from the open salt than I do from cooking in my kitchen in general.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I have a large salt pig for kosher salt and 2 smaller pigs for grey and fine sea salt, all have little wooden scoops.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    I have a large salt pig for kosher salt and 2 smaller pigs for grey and fine sea salt, all have little wooden scoops.
    ENABLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Where did you get the small ones with scoops for the grey and sea salt!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    ENABLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Where did you get the small ones with scoops for the grey and sea salt!!!!!!

Scotland! Though I'm sure you can find them on the www!

smarty-pants

Now cooking.com has this little beauty but I think it's still larger than the ones I have:

The description says it's 4.5 in diameter. Salt pig.

Ana,
    Found these cute little ones, called piglets, on fantes.com, and at a very good price! Love the tail!

THANK YOU!
    p.s. do you find that the grey salt dries out at all in the pig??

Will you people stop giving me ideas of new things to buy??

I had never heard of the term "salt pig" but I love all these examples. When I watch Giada's show, I always love how she has a beautiful pristine little bowl of salt at the ready. . .

Sigh, may have to make a trip to C&B or do some internet shopping!