Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Homemade Meatball Recipe

Need Homemade Meatball Recipe

Looking to make Meatballs for a Superbowl party and want to make homemade ones instead of the usual frozen variety. The recipe needs to be an appetizer-type as opposed to a "spaghettie & meatball" type.

If you have a favorite, please let me know!

Thanks!!

I actually just made these the other day because the kids wanted meatballs. I was really impressed with them myself. They were very easy and not at all dry. I'd use them for appetizers as well since they hold together really well.

Beef Meatballs

Because the meatballs are baked and not fried, they won't fall apart when turned over.

1 1/2 pounds ground round
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup tomato sauce
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°.
    Combine all ingredients except cooking spray in a bowl; stir well. Shape mixture into 30 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until done.

Yield: 30 meatballs (serving size: 5 meatballs)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 228(35% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 3.4g,mono 3.5g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 27.4g; CHOLESTEROL 73mg; CALCIUM 95mg; SODIUM 370mg; FIBER 0.8g; IRON 3.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8.2g

Alyson Moreland Haynes
    Cooking Light, JANUARY 1997

I used to make a similar recipe using ground chicken instead of beef. Since I can't seem to get that much anymore, I'll sub ground turkey (though not as good as the chicken). I can't find my recipe at the moment, but it was close to the beef one Funnybone posted with these changes:
    no red peppers
    lots of oregano
    and a bit more parmesan

I'll post the recipe if I can get my hands on it. It's one of those that I made up using something from this book and something from that one. It's sort of escaped my grasp right now.

Oh, btw, I did serve them with a tomato sauce, but not over noodles or anything. Just with toothpicks.

Good luck and enjoy!
    TKay

Her's my meatball recipe; looks familiar

1 1/2 pounds ground round (I used ground turkey)
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/4 cup tomato sauce ( I subbed ketchup)
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    3/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Combine all ingredients except cooking spray in a bowl. Stir well. Shape mixture into 30 meatballs. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until done.

You can freeze these cooked meatballs in a ziplock bag and remove as many as you need at a time. Or, you can freeze them in the sauce.

VERY GOOD!!!

I've never made meatballs but I saw Alton Brown make these on Good Eats last night:

Swedish Meatballs
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005
    See this recipe on air Thursday Jan. 18 at 7:00 PM ET/PT.
    Show: Good Eats
    Episode: Great Balls of Meat

2 slices fresh white bread
    1/4 cup milk
    3 tablespoons clarified butter, divided
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    A pinch plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3/4 pound ground chuck
    3/4 pound ground pork
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3 cups beef broth
    1/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.

Tear the bread into pieces and place in a small mixing bowl along with the milk. Set aside.

In a 12-inch straight sided saute pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and sweat until the onions are soft. Remove from the heat and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the bread and milk mixture, ground chuck, pork, egg yolks, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, and onions. Beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes.

Using a scale, weigh meatballs into 1-ounce portions and place on a sheet pan. Using your hands, shape the meatballs into rounds.

Heat the remaining butter in the saute pan over medium-low heat, or in an electric skillet set to 250 degrees F. Add the meatballs and saute until golden brown on all sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the meatballs to an ovenproof dish using a slotted spoon and place in the warmed oven.

Once all of the meatballs are cooked, decrease the heat to low and add the flour to the pan or skillet. Whisk until lightly browned, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add the beef stock and whisk until sauce begins to thicken. Add the cream and continue to cook until the gravy reaches the desired consistency. Remove the meatballs from the oven, cover with the gravy and serve.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Will you be cooking these in your own fat, or something else?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post

<snort> I will give up some of my fat for you!
    Jodi

I think these were originally posted by d ferraro. These are oh my gosh delicious. (I bake them in the oven versus frying). Hope that helps!

Dom's Mom's Meatballs

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 25 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 pounds ground chuck (I've used extra lean ground beef, and it turns out fine)
    1/2 pound ground pork
    2 cups Italian bread crumbs
    4 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
    1/2 cup grated cheese
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic -- chopped fine
    1 onion -- minced
    1/2 cup pignolia {pine nuts)-- optional

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly; let stand 1/2 hour. Shape into medium-sized meatballs. Fry gently in olive oil until lightly brown, or place on foil in a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.

Gently place in your own hot spaghetti sauce and cook on medium-low heat for one hour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 204 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (59% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 67mg Cholesterol; 314mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates
    "With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

Here's a recipe that is used as an appetizer at all my DH's family gatherings:

1 T Butter or margarine
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 can (14-oz) tomato sauce
    1 can cranberry sauce
    1 1/2 lb lean ground beef or turkey
    1/4 c dry breadcrumbs (or matzah meal)
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    pepper to taste

Melt fat in 2-qt saucepan; add onion, and cook unitl lightly browned. Add the two canned sauces. Cook over low heat, stirring occassional until they are blended.

Meanwhile, combine ground beef and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Mix together thoroughly, but lightly, with a fork. Shape into moderate-small meatballs. Add them to the sauce and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour over low to med heat.

I have also prepared the sauce, put it into the crockpot, added the raw meatballs, and cooked on low for 4-6 hours.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    I used to make a similar recipe using ground chicken instead of beef. Since I can't seem to get that much anymore, I'll sub ground turkey (though not as good as the chicken).
    Sorry to hijack, but I have had the same problem finding ground chicken. I have been taking chicken breasts and grinding them up in my food processor. I believe the idea came from Rachel Ray. I love ground chicken burgers!!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

Really gross!! I saw that thread about 1 minute after posting my original question for a meatball recipe....what great timing!

Personally, I don't eat ground meat of any kind because I find the texture very unappealing but combine that with the cooking technique mentioned above and I could easily become a vegetarian!!!

I just wasted a swallow of a very good Chardonnay! Well, I suppose I could like the screen!

These are my favorite meatballs-period-and while they call for ground veal I find ground turkey or ground chicken (I grind my own using my KA) to be a great sub (though the veal is first choic though I know others have issues with it). They would work well with any sauce.

Meatballs
    From chef and author Wolfgang Puck
    January 24, 2003

Wolfgang Puck says his version of this Italian staple is special because the meatballs are especially flavorful. You can substitute the spaghetti for Italian hoagies if you'd prefer to make meatball sandwiches for a Super Bowl party.

Ingredients:
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 med onion, peeled and finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
    4 slices Italian bread, crusts discarded, cut into small dice
    1/4 cup whole milk
    2 pounds lean ground veal
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about five minutes, taking care not to turn onions brown. Remove mixture to a small bowl and set aside to cool.

2. In large mixing bowl, combine the bread and milk. Set aside for about 10 minutes, until all the milk is completely absorbed.

3. Add to the mixing bowl and the sautéed onion and garlic, ground veal, egg, Parmesan, parsley, basil, thyme, salt, sugar, and black pepper.

4. Wetting your hands with cold water, roll about one-eighth of the veal mixture into a large, even meatball and place it on a large plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture, making 8 meatballs in all.

5. In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the tomato sauce until it is very gently simmering. One at a time, carefully lower the meatballs into the simmering sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer very gently, covered, until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes.

6. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, tender but still chewy, following the manufacturer's suggested cooking time.

7. With a slotted spoon, remove the meatballs from the sauce and transfer them to a plate. Remove 1 1/2 cups of sauce from the pan and keep it warm. Drain the spaghetti and instantly stir into the tomato sauce in the saucepan. Toss to coat the spaghetti thoroughly. Twirl or mound the spaghetti into each of 8 warmed serving bowls or plates. Top with the meatballs and drizzle with the reserved sauce. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

These are great, and definitely not a "spaghetti and meatball" type meatball. Tizzylish originally posted these, and they're always a hit when I make them.

Honey-garlic Meatballs

2 lbs. ground chuck
    1 c. dried breadcrumbs
    3/4 c. milk
    1/2 c. onion -- minced
    2 eggs
    1 can water chestnuts -- chopped fine
    2 tsp. salt
    Sauce:
    2 Tbsp. butter
    3 cloves garlic -- minced
    3/4 c. ketchup
    1/2 c. honey
    1/4 c. soy sauce (I use Lite)

Mix above ingredients well. Shape into 1" size balls. Place in single layer on cookie sheet and bake 15-20 min. at 375 degrees. Drain well and set aside.

For the sauce:
    Melt butter in saucepan and saute garlic briefly. Add ketchup, honey and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer five minutes. Add meatballs to sauce. Return to a boil and simmer uncovered 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until sauce glazes meatballs.

Makes 55-60

Description:
    "Trish/FL Recipe Link"
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

The one Funnybone posted is my standard for spaghetti & meatballs!

For an appetizer, I like these from CL Light and Easy cookbook, 1997. If we have leftovers, DH and I eat them as a meal with white rice.

Spicy Meatballs

1 lb ground beef
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    2 tbsp chopped green pepper
    2 tbsp skim milk (I use whatever form of milk I have)
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 egg whites, lightly beaten
    cooking spray
    1 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp minced, peeled ginger root (I use powdered ginger in a pinch)
    1/8 tsp garlic powder

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stir well. Shape mixture into 42 (1 inch) meatballs.) Arrange on rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 5 1/2 inches away from heat with oven door partially open, 10 minutes or until browned, turning often.

Combine cornstarch & water in saucepan, stir well. Add brown sugar and remaining 4 ingredients; stir well. Place over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add meatballs, stirring gently to coat. Transfer to a chafing dish and serve warm.

I just want to recommend also the new Buffalo Meatballs at Costco. They're made be Bruce Aidells who makes the good sausages. I bought them to try out for a party next weekend. We just heated them up - no sauce - and dipped them in ranch (but for the party we'll dip them in blue cheese dressing). They're spicy and salty and yummy. My dh says "Bruce Aidells is a genius"
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

this recipe is very similar to one that my friend makes for parties - they are AMAZING... kind of sweet and spicy and not at all italian tasting. i have her recipe somewhere and will look for it in case there are any differences. i think she might add some extra hot pepper because she likes spicy.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=32502

Ingredients :

Meatballs:
    1 1/2 lb meat loaf mixture or lean ground beef
    1/2 cup Progresso Plain bread crumbs
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dry mustard
    2 tbl chili sauce
    1 x egg
    Sauce:
    1 x 12 ounce jar pineapple preserves
    1/3 cup chili sauce
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce

Method :

* Heat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients; mix well. Shape into 1 1/4 inch meatballs. Place in ungreased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan.
    * Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
    * Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients; mix well. Cook over low heat until mixture is bubbly, stirring frequently.
    * Add cooked meatballs to sauce; stir gently to coat.
    * Yield: 48 meatballs
    * Serving Ideas : To keep these meatballs hot on an appetizer buffet table,
    * NOTES : Ingredient Substitution: Apricot or peach preserves can be used in place of the pineapple preserves.
    * Kitchen Tip: Use a kitchen scissors to cut up any large pieces of fruit in the preserves.
    * Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare the meatballs and sauce in advance, cover and refrigerate them separately for up to two days. Combine and heat them just before serving.

My friend keeps her meatballs in a crockpot during parties. good luck
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by newtricks View Post
    I just want to recommend also the new Buffalo Meatballs at Costco. They're made be Bruce Aidells who makes the good sausages. I bought them to try out for a party next weekend. We just heated them up - no sauce - and dipped them in ranch (but for the party we'll dip them in blue cheese dressing). They're spicy and salty and yummy. My dh says "Bruce Aidells is a genius"
    I'll second this recommendation. We made meatball sandwiches with the Buffalo Meatballs: Sourdough bread, pepperjack cheese, meatballs (sliced in half so the sandwich wasn't so thick), and caramelized red onions. Broiled until cheese was melted and meatballs were heated through. Yummy!
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

Wow - There are a TON of great options here!!

Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by newtricks View Post
    I just want to recommend also the new Buffalo Meatballs at Costco. They're made be Bruce Aidells who makes the good sausages.
    I would love to try these. I was at Costco this morning and they had this brand, but the flavor was Pineapple/teriyaki (or something similar). I wonder if the flavors are seasonal or regional?

Quote Originally Posted by funnybone View Post
    I would love to try these. I was at Costco this morning and they had this brand, but the flavor was Pineapple/teriyaki (or something similar). I wonder if the flavors are seasonal or regional?
    I just checked out their website and they only list 3 flavors of meatballs:
    A chipolte one, a sun-dried tomato one and the pineapple/teriyaki one. No mention of a buffalo one.
    Jodi

The Buffalo meatballs are fairly new to Costco. I haven't seen them there until this week. They've had the pineapple/teriyaki ones for a while, which, BTW, are very good, too.
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

What is the price for the Costco meatballs? Around $10? And how many meatballs to you get?

Quote Originally Posted by KCSoccer View Post
    The Buffalo meatballs are fairly new to Costco. I haven't seen them there until this week. They've had the pineapple/teriyaki ones for a while, which, BTW, are very good, too.

I had never seen them until this week either here in NJ.
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds

Do they come frozen or are they in with Aidell's fresh sausage at Costco? I don't remember seeing these. Darla

Yes, they were around $10 for the package (sorry, I didn't keep my receipt!).

They are found in the deli section (where the cheeses, sliced lunchmeats and refrigerated prepared foods are).
    Cindi in KC