Community Message Boards

Thread: How Do I Keep Almond Paste?

How Do I Keep Almond Paste?

It didn't say refrigerate on the can, but I just don't know. I used some for a cake Sunday and will use some for a cake either this Thursday or Sunday. Right now it's in my car in an air tight plastic container, so kind of refrigerated since Michigan's been at temps of 32 or below this week.

I bought a large can and kept it refrigerated after opening and it was still good 6 months later.

When baking, the refrigerated stuff needs to be brought to room temp anyway (eggs, butter etc) in general.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I refrigerate anything with oils (if the seal has been broken) to prevent rancidity if not used within a reasonable period (vegetable oils, nut oils--even flour in hot summer months...especially WW which has the oily germ). I still have frozen almond paste bought in bulk 5 years ago and is still good.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

Just curious if you have a good recipe you'd like to share. I bought almond past to make a Giada recipe (which was kinda boring actually). Now I have a whole can of the stuff and would like to use it up.

I make Italian Tri Colored Cookies for Christmas and they are astoundingly good and look really pretty -- really disproportionate in terms of the effort involved.

Meatloaf

All of you are mentioning a "can"...then what is it that I have in a foil wrapped tube that came in a box?

It says it's "Pure Almond Paste, by Odense"...and it's HARD as a rock!

I don't see a use by date, but I know it's been in my pantry for a few months.

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

The tubes (Odense) are the ones sold in supermarkets in a smaller quantity - I believe it is about 7 ounces when I checked and the Odense is almond paste -- not to be confused with marzipan.

I bought a large can at Surfas because the price of 2 pounds was just a tad more expensive than the small size in the supermarket.

As to hardness, it is a fairly solid substance but my recipes called for beating it with other ingredients so there wasn't any problem in terms of use.

I also got into the habit of treating myself to little bits of the stuff as a nosh -- like a finger of peanut butter but only better.

Meatloaf

Many of the Odense almond paste recipes say to grate the paste. I find it a nuisance, but it does work up easier.

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    All of you are mentioning a "can"...then what is it that I have in a foil wrapped tube that came in a box?

It says it's "Pure Almond Paste, by Odense"...and it's HARD as a rock!

I don't see a use by date, but I know it's been in my pantry for a few months.

~Gail
    Is the Odense almond paste too hard to grate? If not, I suggest making the following cake

ALMOND CAKE WITH APRICOTS

300 grams (almost 11 ounces) coarsely grated almond paste
    3 small eggs
    2-3 cans of halved apricots
    1 scant Tbsp. brandy

Mix eggs and almond paste with electic mixer until smooth and fluffy.
    Grease bottom and 1 inch of sides of a springform cake pan. Add plain bread crumbs and shake pan to coat; invert to remove excess crumbs.
    Fill almond mixture into pan and bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes - ovens have varied over the years.
    Remove cake from pan and let cool on wire rack.
    Drain apricots well, reserving 3 Tbsp. juice.
    Place cake on serving plate, mix reserved juice with brandy and pour over cake. Decorate with apricots.

The quickest dessert ever.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Solo 8 oz almond paste can:

"Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."