Community Message Boards

Thread: Instant Nonfat Dry Milk vs. Non-instant ?

Instant Nonfat Dry Milk vs. Non-instant ?

I have a bread recipe that asks for Non-instant dry milk powder and I have instant on hand. Can I exchange one for the other? Thanks, AK

I have never heard of non-instant milk powder.

I can't imagine why you couldn't switch it since both are dry ingredients and are going to turn into "milk" pretty quickly. I can't think of a chemical process -- or even a texture issue -- i.e. the difference between instant oatmeal and regular oatmeal in terms of cookies.

I would go ahead with instant personally.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I went to a class last week where she talked about and demo'd recipes using powdered milk. Non instant is more the texture of cornstarch and is more dense. It has a longer shelf life. It requires 4T of powder to 1 c water and the instant requires 1/3 c powder to 1 c water. You almost have to use a blender to get the non instant to make a smooth consistency of milk.

To just put a few T in bread, I use whatever is out. Darla

Non-instant dry milk has not gone through the high heat and other processing used for instant dry milk and therefore doesn't have some of the nasties that are associated with instant. As Darla said, it is quite difficult to reconstitute but seems to work fine when mixed with flour for bread. I use it for almost all my baking and for making yoghurt.
    Anne

What are the nasties associated with dry milk?

I keep a few envelopes of standard milk powder around for cooking or baking for those recipes which call for it.

I can't imagine actually drinking the stuff unless I was on a forced march or otherwise in extreme survival conditions.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

The brand name, non-organic instant dry milks are processed with nitrates and the high heat used to 'instantize' denatures the proteins. I think there is something else but can't remember it right now.
    Anne