Community Message Boards

Thread: recipe for pumpernickel bread

recipe for pumpernickel bread

Hi all,

I made a successful Molasses Oatmeal bread last weekend, and now my husband has requested pumpernickel. I only have one really good bread cookbook and of course, no pumpernickel. I have also looked on all my usual recipe websites and I'm just not having any luck. Does anyone have a good, reliable recipe for pumpernickel bread?

Rachel

This is the only pumpernickel recipe I've used. My husband and sons love it. Lots of work, but definitely worth the time. Good luck!
    Kathy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpernickel Bread

Recipe By :Bernard Clayton
    Preparation Time :
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 3/4 cups water
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    3/4 cup molasses
    1 Tablespoon butter
    1 Tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds -- slightly broken
    1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
    1 package dry yeast
    1 cup mashed potatoes
    3 cups rye flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 each egg white -- beaten with
    1 Tablespoon cold water

Baking Sheet: 1 baking sheet, greased or Teflon, or dusted with cornmeal.

Preparation: In a medium saucepan combined the water and cornmeal and cook the mixture over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until it becomes thick and smooth, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and add molasses, butter, salt, sugar, caraway seeds, and chocolate.

Stir until well blended and pour into a mixer bowl. Set aside until it has cooled to 105 to 115 degrees.

Stir in the yeast and mashed potato.

By hand or mixer: When all ingredients are blended, add the 3 cups rye and 1 cup whole wheat flour. The dough will be stiff and sticky by hand or in the mixer.

Turn the dough onto a work surface liberally sprinkled with whole wheat flour. Put a little vegetable oil on your fingers and hands before you start to knead. The the surface of the dough powdered with flour. Also have a scraper, such as a dough blade, to remove the gummy film of dough that accumulates on the work surface.

Some mixer dough hooks will knead the dense dough; others may not. If yours won't knead by hand.

Be patient and presently the dough will respond and begin to clear the work surface, and your fingers. Knead until the dough is somewhat elastic, though it will be stiff, about 8 minutes by hand or with the dough hook.

First Rising: Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and leave at room temperature to rise. The dough will seem so heavy you might wonder how it could possibly rise. But it will, and it will double in bulk in about 1 hour.

Shaping: Punch down the dough, knead out the air bubbles, and form into a round, smooth ball. It may be divided to form smaller loaves or rolls if you wish. Place on the baking sheet.

Second Rising: Cover the loaf with wax paper and leave to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Preheat: Preheat the oven to 375 about 20 minutes before baking.

Baking: Brush the loaf with the egg white-water mixture.

Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until the bottom crust sounds hollow and hard when tapped with a finger. The loaf will be a rich dark brown. If the loaf appears to be browning too quickly, cover with a piece of foil or brown paper sack. (If using a convection oven, reduce heat 40 degrees.)

Final Step: Remove the bread from the oven and place on a metal rack to cool.

Pumpernickel is too heavy to toast, of course, but it keeps for a week or more wrapped in foil or plastic, and freezes for months at 0.

Description:
    "The slices are moist and dark brown, almost black. Ideal for buffets, and sandwiches, or served with sliced cheese."

Source: "Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads"
    Yield: 1 Large Loaf
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2819 Calories; 34g Fat (10.4% calories from fat); 64g Protein; 592g Carbohydrate; 40g Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 7186mg Sodium. Exchanges: 27 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 6 Fat; 11 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES (from the text): CAUTION: If you are about to launch a career in baking, don't begin with this loaf, as delicious as it is. This has no white flour, only rye and whole wheat. It is a loaf for an advanced student, a baker who will tolerate the tedium of stickiness until, finally, the gluten forms and the dough kneads easily under the palms.

question on the mashed potatos

For the mashed potatos, is it actually a cup of potatos all mashed up, or a cup of isntant potato flakes. The only reason I ask is that the oatmeal bread I made used instant potato flakes.

Thanks so much for posting!!

It actually calls for a cup of mashed potatoesand I normally used leftovers. I checked the book, and it says that prepared instant are fine too.

I've never used potato flakes in breadmaking. Would you mind sharing your Molasses Oatmeal bread recipe? My husband loves breads made with molasses, and I'm always looking for new recipes.

Thanks.

Kathy

Here goes. It's from the Williams Sonoma Bread cookbook.

4 tsp active dry yeast
    pinch of sugar
    1/2 cup warm water (105-115 F)
    2 cups tepid buttermilk
    4 TB unsalted butter, melted
    1/2 cup light or dark molasses
    1 cup whole wheat flour or graham flour
    3/4 cup old-fashioned or quick cooking rolled oats
    1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
    1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
    1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
    2 1/2 tsp salt
    3-3 1/4 cups bread flour, plus extra as needed
    Canola oil for greasing

In a bowl, sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the water and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.

In a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the buttermilk, butter, molasses, and whole-wheat flour. Beat on medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the yeast mixture, oats, cornmeal, potato flakes, wheat germ, and salt, and beat for 1 minute. Beat in the bread flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the bowl sides.

Switch to the dough hook. Knead on low speed, adding bread flour 1 tablesppon at a time if the dough sticks, until smooth, about 5 minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, then knead for 1 minute longer. The dough should be smooth but slightly tacky and nubby when pressed.

Transfer the dough to an oiled deep bowl and turn the dough once to coat it. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2-2 hours.

Lightly grease two 8 1/2-by4 1/2 ince loaf pans. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and divide in half. Roll or pat each half into an 8-by-12 inch rectangle. Beginning at a narrow end, roll up each rectangle to make a loaf the length of the pan. Pinch the ends and long seam to seal. Place the loaves, seam side down, in the prepared pans. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise until about 1 inch above the rim of pan, 1-1/2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Bake until the loaves are golden brown and pull away from the pan sides, 35-40 minutes. Turn out onto racks and let cool completely.

I only had yeast in packets, so I used two packets. Also, I noticed that the flour measurement seemed low. I think I added somewhere between 4-5 cups, not the 3 it calls for. I have the mixer, so it made it a little easier. The dough is extremely thick, heavy and sticky so I think it would be rather difficult to work with by hand. The bread ended up being a wonderfully soft bread with great texture.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for posting. I'll be adding your recipe to my list this week.

Kathy