Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitute for sherry vinegar?

Substitute for sherry vinegar?

Can I sub sherry cooking wine for sherry vinegar? I'm going to try the Trout with Lentils from CL March 2004, and no local store carries sherry vinegar. Thanks!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Can I sub sherry cooking wine for sherry vinegar? I'm going to try the Trout with Lentils from CL March 2004, and no local store carries sherry vinegar. Thanks!
    I would think you would be better off subbing a different vinegar--although I am not sure which one. Maybe red wine vinegar? NOT balsamic or cider, IMHO, they are too sweet. White and rice would be too bland. I have never had white wine vinegar, so not sure about it....
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I agree, red wine vinegar would be a better sub...
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Exclamation

From the Cook's Thesaurus

sherry vinegar = sherry wine vinegar = vinagre de Jer�z = Jerez vinegar = vinagre de Xeres = Xeres vinegar Notes: Sherry vinegar is Spain's answer to balsamic vinegar. It's assertive yet smooth, and great for deglazing pans and perking up sauces, especially those that will accompany hearty meats like duck, beef, or game. The most expensive sherry vinegars are aged for a long time in wood casks.

Substitutes: balsamic vinegar OR red wine vinegar (Also add a little sugar if you wish.) OR rice vinegar

Personally, i would hunt down the sherry vinegar. It's GOOD stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mad View Post
    From the Cook's Thesaurus

sherry vinegar = sherry wine vinegar = vinagre de Jer�z = Jerez vinegar = vinagre de Xeres = Xeres vinegar Notes: Sherry vinegar is Spain's answer to balsamic vinegar. It's assertive yet smooth, and great for deglazing pans and perking up sauces, especially those that will accompany hearty meats like duck, beef, or game. The most expensive sherry vinegars are aged for a long time in wood casks.

Substitutes: balsamic vinegar OR red wine vinegar (Also add a little sugar if you wish.) OR rice vinegar
    Interesting--sherry vinegar does not remind me of balsamic at all. I find balsamic to be much sweeter. Sherry vinegar is the only vinegar I have tried that I didn't like much.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

If there is an Italian market anywhere near you try there.

I looked and looked for sherry vinegar here in all the higher end supermarkets, and found Spanish sherry vinegar in the local Italian market.

I got sherry vinegar at Wegman's.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Greetings!!

Sherry (wine) is not the same is sherry wine vinegar (alcohol in sherry wine turns to acetic acid)...just like apple cider is not the same as apple cider vinegar (fermented apple cider). Acidic levels are completely different. In general, vinegars are used for their acidic qualities more than their flavors.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

Thanks to all! My schedule got crazy, and I forgot to defrost the fish. I hope to try this recipe this week, but am not sure yet what I'll use. If it's good, I'll post a review; appreciate everyone's input!

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Well, the Kitchen Powers-that-Be must not want me to try this trout recipe. I had a huge hunk of vacation-caught trout defrosting, finally, and found out the hard way that the top part, which I kept checking to see how the defrosting was going, can still be rock-hard while the bottom part is already defrosted . . . and spoiling. So, fish in the trash. This is after I forgot to defrost it in the first place. Then, no local stores carried sherry vinegar. I tried a new grocery store today for my whole list, & found sherry vinegar--at $7.99 a bottle! No, thanks. Despite the fact that I want to try two recipes that require it, I'll try your suggestions and substitute red-wine vinegar; I just can't justify $7.99 for that.

(Maybe I should just whip up some mac & cheese.)

Well, the Kitchen Powers-that-Be must not want me to try this trout recipe. I had a huge hunk of vacation-caught trout defrosting, finally, and found out the hard way that the top part, which I kept checking to see how the defrosting was going, can still be rock-hard while the bottom part is already defrosted . . . and spoiling. So, fish in the trash. This is after I forgot to defrost it in the first place. Then, no local stores carried sherry vinegar. I tried a new grocery store today for my whole list, & found sherry vinegar--at $7.99 a bottle! No, thanks. Despite the fact that I want to try two recipes that require it, I'll try your suggestions and substitute red-wine vinegar; I just can't justify $7.99 for that.

(Maybe I should just whip up some mac & cheese.)
    DH mentioned that sherry vinegar was expensive also. Which is too bad since I bought it for one recipe and didn't love it.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

sherry vinegar sub

I've substituted mirin which is a sweet rice wine vinegar for sherry vinegar and it worked fine. It may be harder for you to find than the sherry vinegar depending on where you live. Here on the west coast where Asian foods are common, my local, independent grocery store carries mirin.