Community Message Boards

Thread: "whole grain oats" vs. oat flour

"whole grain oats" vs. oat flour

I was comparing the ingredients of Cheerios and the store-brand Os. The main ingredient of Cheerios is "whole grain oats" and the main ingredient of the store brand is "oat flour." The amount of fiber is the same for both.

My question is - are these really the same thing with different terminology? Obviously the Cheerios are made with some sort of ground-up oats (i.e., oat flour), or else they would just be globs of whole oats sticking together. The store brand is much cheaper, and I'd like to buy them if they are exactly the same. Since the fiber is the same, they appear to have the same whole-grainyness.

Thanks,
    Megan

This is an interesting question. And I'm not the one to answer it. Sorry. But I read something a few days ago that when comparing ingredients, say on loaves of bread - you want the first ingredient to be whole grain, as opposed to whole grain flour. The only difference I can think of is the amount of grinding the oats (or whatever grain) go through before they are used. And obviously, flour is very well ground.

I sometimes buy store brand cereals too, and now I will check the nutrition labels a little more carefully. I'll be checking back to see what everyone else thinks the difference is.
    barbara-cook

Quote Originally Posted by barbara-cook View Post
    This is an interesting question. And I'm not the one to answer it. Sorry. But I read something a few days ago that when comparing ingredients, say on loaves of bread - you want the first ingredient to be whole grain, as opposed to whole grain flour. The only difference I can think of is the amount of grinding the oats (or whatever grain) go through before they are used. And obviously, flour is very well ground.
    ? For bread, I think whole grain flour or whole wheat flour is ok, but you don't want just "wheat flour". If it is just grains, and not flours, then it is just a bunch of actual grains stuck together...it really has to be mostly "flour" to create bread, I would say, and the important part is how refined that flour is. I think the cheerios are analogous, but just trying to make sure.

Editing to add that I read labels religiously, and the majority of the time I find the store brand ingredients to be nearly identical, so I was surprised by the cereal.

Oat flakes (or rolled) and oat flour are the same thing except the flour is pulverized to a different consistency --and the flakes are just rolled flat.
    The only difference in fiber/nutrition content would be if servings size/amounts used were different.
    Oatmeal is considered a whole grain product.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I would go with the cheaper brand -- assuming that you liked it as much as Cheerios -- nothing is as expensive as tossed food.

Oat flour is merely oats that are ground finely -- one can make one's own in a food processor. They have the same nutritional value as oats and I believe would be the equivalent in this list of ingredients.

Oat flour isn't tricky like wheat flour because it isn't degermed and debraned (or whatever) to create it in the same way that wheat flour is completely different than whole wheat flour.

I doesn't matter in this context since both are using "oat flour" -- i.e. finely ground oats in the recipe. If one is using principles of Volumetrics of WW Core plan diet, then it does matter as grinding the oats increases the nutritional density -- read calories since the same "amount" of oats takes up a smaller amount of space and is generally not diluted in the same way that whole oats are.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Thanks for the input. The store brand tastes the same to me, so I will just buy those.