Community Message Boards

Thread: How to make polenta??

Question How to make polenta??

I want to make polenta from scratch this week - nothing fancy, though. Can you tell me how you make yours? Most of the recipes I'm finding have all kinds of things added in. I just want the plain stuff - I'm going to put some leftover stew on it.
    TIA!!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

I prefer stuff like this on the plain side, myself, especially if it's supposed to be a counterpoint for something that's full of stuff with a lot of flavor.

I just make it according to the package directions in terms of proportion of water to polenta. After I add the polenta to the boiling salted water, I turn the heat down very low and cook as slowly as possible, stirring semi-frequently. When it's done, I stir in a nice gob of butter. If I'm being fancy, generous amount of parmesan.

A package mix? Gosh, I didn't even know you could get it in a package! I was just going to use (I hoped ) plain old cornmeal that I have on hand. Do any of you do that?
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

I always use Quaker Oats cormeal and the recipe on the back of the box. It is very basic - cornmeal, water and salt and turns out perfect each time. I have often cooked up a batch, chilled it in a 13 x 9 pan, cut into squares and browned them up in a bit of olive oil to serve as a side dish. Delicious!!

Sue

What I buy isn't a "mix" -- it's just ground corn labeled "polenta." No reason you can't use regular cornmeal.

I do this a bit differently than as instructed by polenta/corn meal packages. I dump the polenta in the cold water, stir, and bring it all up to a boil at once. I recall reading somewhere that Marcella Hazan prepares it this way. I thought, shoot, if it works for her, I'll give it a try. It's worked like a charm every time.

Cooking the polenta covered allows condensation to build up, which eliminates the need for constant stirring. And you can still count on the creamy consistency you've come to expect from this dish.

4 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup polenta (not quick-cooking) or yellow cornmeal (5 oz)
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Bring water and salt to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan, then add polenta in a thin stream, whisking. Cook over moderate heat, whisking, 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover pan, then cook at a bare simmer, stirring with a long-handled spoon for 1 minute after every 10 minutes of cooking, 45 minutes total. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until incorporated.

Serve polenta warm.

Cooks' note: Polenta can be made 20 minutes ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature (do not let stand longer, or it will solidify).

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet
    January 2007

I often make polenta in the microwave. The trick here is to use a dish that is much larger/deeper than you think you need, to minimize boilovers. I use a 1-4 ratio of cornmeal to water, and microwave in a covered dish in 2-3 minute increments, stirring to check for consistency after each increment. If you can actually see into your microwave, I would suggest keeping an eye on it, because it's only through trial and error that I've figured out how to keep it from boiling over!
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

I made it last night - yum, yum, yummmmmmmmmmm!!!! Thank you for all your help!! I served my leftover soup on it and we gobbled it right up. I think I'll try cutting up the leftovers and broiling or frying them. Mmmm - can hardly wait for supper now!
    Lynne

-- Anonymous

Lynne - what method did you use? I keep meaning to make polenta for the first time and I just haven't gotten around to it.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I used a Bon Appetit recipe I found on epicurious, as there was no recipe on the back of my cornmeal container (which was what I'd intended to use when I got home).

POLENTA

6 cups water
    1 1/2 cups polenta (coarse cornmeal)
    1 teaspoon salt

Whisk 1 1/2 cups water, polenta, and salt in heavy large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture comes to simmer. Gradually whisk in remaining 4 1/2 cups water. Bring to boil, whisking polenta often. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until polenta is thick, soft, and creamy, stirring often, about 30 minutes.

Makes 4 servings.

Bon Appétit
    February 2002

Lynne

-- Anonymous

I do 4 cups of water, 1 cup of polenta, and add it salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon of butter and a few tablespoons of parmigiano reggiano - it's really easy, my husband even made it the other night!