Community Message Boards

Thread: Cat Died after Vet said he was OK ?????

Exclamation Cat Died after Vet said he was OK ?????

I am asking this for my sister, she had a cat that seemed sick on Saturday, breathing fast/panting and not really eating. She watched him through the weekend and took him to a new Vet on Monday. The Vet said he seemed OK and took some blood samples and sent her home saying she would call the next day with the test results.
    Well long story short the cat died Tuesday night
    She paid 175.00 for the blood tests and has STILL not heard from the Vet.
    She has called every day and has not received a call back. She just called me from work in tears saying she was going to go there. I told her NO and I would call the Vet. The only thing is what can she really do? What could she do besides appologize that she did not call back. Why did they not catch what was wrong on Monday and yes the cat was breathing funny at the Vets also and she said he was fine.
    I am at a loss..my sister is a basket case, she is not married and this was truly her baby. He was about 10 years old and has always been in perfect health, he is an inside cat and always has been.
    What do you all think?

Thanks
    Kim
    Last edited by KimE; 03-15-2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: changing title
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

DmOrtega Guest
    My vet has told me that panting is a sure sign that the cat is in distress and probably in pain. I think if the cat was panting while there then they should have kept it, even for a few hours for observation. No phone call back is not acceptable. Don't they have other vets on site?

I wanted to say that I am sorry for your sisters loss.

That is what she thought, that is why she did not go to work on Monday morning and took him in right away to be told he is OK. The Vet is a young gal and my sister said she seemed to know what she was doing at the time.
    I just can not believe she has not returned any phone calls:mad: :mad:
    If she does not call back soon,,,,she thinks my sister would be bad..she has no idea
    Kim

As far as what to do, I don't know what to say about this. How horrible for your sister. I'm so sorry this happened to her. If she feels that her cat would still be alive if the vet had kept it at the office, then you probably should report this incident to the state licensing board for follow up and documentation purposes.

Perhaps one of "our BB vets" will weigh in on this issue and have some idea of what action, if any, is appropriate.

Again, I am very sorry for your sister's loss and the cat's suffering.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Well even if the cat were alive and well, the vet is still almost 3 days late with the promised follow-up call on the lab work so for sure, I would be harassing them. That stinks. And yes a panting cat can be a sign of many things from just stress to cardiac problems and more, so I'd question their not keeping the cat for observation if there wasn't a discussion about that between the vet and your sister; (sometimes, in a small vet practice, sending the animal home is better observation than leaving it unattended in a cage while no one's at the hospital).

I'm sorry your sis had to go through this Kim, but glad you are there to help her sort things out.

That seems a little strange to me. My very 1st cat, named Fuzzy, lived to be 19 years old. He had stopped eating and started panting really hard and loud after taking for a few steps, so we took him into the vet immediatly. As soon as the vet walked into the room and looked at Fuzzy he said "poor thing, he can't breath" They took blood and an x-ray or something, and it turned out he had fluid in his lungs and was basically drowning, for lack of a better word. We were about to leave for a long weekend trip, so we left fuzzy with the vet where they treated him and drained the fluid. When we got back, he was a little bit better, but the vet said he would have to come back at least once a month to have the fluid drained.

Car rides were very tramatic to Fuzzy (he always pooped in the carrier and cried the whole way), and if the fluid in his lungs didn't kill him all of those car rides to the vet would have. So we ended up having to put him down. It wouldn't have been a good life for him to live not being able to breath after walking a few steps.

I'm really sorry about your sisters cat! At the very least the vet should offer to refund the bill, I think.
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

Oh, I am so sorry. What a horrible thing for your sister to go through. I think it's appalling that they haven't bothered to return the phone calls. Do they know the cat didn't make it? Is that why they're not calling back? I hate to think that way about people, but it seems like something's up.
    I don't think a trip to the office is out of order. In fact, it might be the only way to get some attention. Has this been her vet's office all along?
    TKay

update

OK here is what happened last night. I called the Vet's office again prior to leaving work, no they had not called me back, and spoke to the office manager, well she is the one that answered the phone. She told me she had just been advised that my sister had called numerous times and had not heard back from the Vet and now her sister was calling. She said it was the new gal in the office that had not been giving the Vet her msgs. What ever---anyway she was actually very nice and understood what had been happening. Well again the Dr was busy and could not talke but she assured me she ould be calling back within the house, I then asked her to call my sister and explained how upset she was.
    Well the Dr called her and of course she was stating "nothing" was wrong and was a complete a$$. My sister then called me and long story short she called back the office mgr who has been there for 15 years and works for the Senior Vets in the office and told her about the conversation she had just had with the Dr. Well she filed a complaint that will be taken up with the Senior Dr's and is getting all her money back.
    That does not help what happened by no way, but they assured her there really was nothing that could have been done and the tests were normal.
    Also to make matters worse the vets office that she took him to at 11:30pm when he was dying had contacted this office on Wednesday to tell them he had died:mad:
    I just don't get it, I know all the Vets I have ever met have been great with people and animals, in fact on of our best friends is a vet but he has told me that he has met some vets that are much better with animals then people.
    And the ones on the board here are great, maybe someday she will get it.

Thanks for listening
    Kim

Wow, that's just awful! I agree, all the vets I've dealt with have been super communicative and engaged while that one sounds unprofessional, irresponsible, and nasty. Sorry, but the cat died and she's still saying there was nothing wrong with it? Since when do 10 year old cats die of "nothing"? :mad:

I don't know what's entailed in filing a complaint with the senior practioners, but I would also write a very clear and dispassionate letter and make sure I sent a copy to each of them, and I'd also look into filing a complaint at the state level. Your poor sister!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

So sorry you had to go through that. It is very true that some vets are not good with people...there's no excuse for not apologizing for the lack of communication.

Time to shop around for a new vet; there are too many good ones around to justify putting up with a nasty one.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"