Community Message Boards

Thread: PF Chang's Shrimp with Candied Walnuts

PF Chang's Shrimp with Candied Walnuts

Hi everyone,

I went to PF Chang's yesterday and finally ordered something other than my usual Lemon Chicken... the Shrimp with Candied Walnuts. A huge YUM! So, I went to their menu on-line to see if I could replicate at home (or try anyway). It says "Tossed in a creamy lemon sauce with honeydew melon". Has anyone had this dish and loved it enough to try at home (or something similar)? I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Kate

That sounds like honey walnut prawns. This is a good version though I don't remember where I got it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Honey Walnut Prawns

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 ounces shelled walnut halves
    water
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups water
    peanut oil -- for deep frying (about 2 cups)
    1/4 cup honey
    1 lb prawns or shrimp -- shelled and de-veined
    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup panko
    1 clove garlic -- finely minced
    1 tablespoon sake vinegar or plum wine vinegar or white vinegar
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
    1 tablespoon sugar

1. In a saucepan, place walnut halves and enough water to cover plus another inch; boil for 10 minutes then remove and drain walnuts (discard water).

2. Place in the saucepan the walnuts, 2 cups water, and 1/2 cup sugar and boil for an additional 10 minutes.

3. Remove walnuts from the water, drain well, pat dry with paper towels, then stir with honey in a bowl until they're coated well.

4. Deep fry the walnuts in peanut oil at approximately 325 F for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden; set aside, placed on plate or cookie sheet to drain (don't use paper towels because they'll stick).

5. Shell and de-vein the prawns or shrimp (leaving the tails intact), then dry well with a paper towel.

6. Coat the prawns with the egg white, roll in Panko, and deep fry three or four at a time (to keep from sticking together) in peanut oil for 2 minutes.

7. In a bowl, mix the garlic, vinegar, mayonnaise, sweetened condensed milk and sugar, then toss together with the prawns in a hot wok or frying pan and sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring, until they're well-coated.

8. Serve immediately with walnuts over cooked rice.

Start to Finish Time:
    "0:30"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 279 Calories; 7g Fat (20.1% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 112mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Karen

honey nut prawns

I made this last night. Sweet, of course, but very good. I did end up making another batch of the sauce, probably because I used a bit more shrimp than the recipe called for. I had steamed brocoli on the side and white rice. I was pleased that I tried this recipe.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread. Thanks, Kjente2, for the recipe and minnie99 for the review. On a different topic, if you use 1T of the can of sweetened condensed milk, any suggestions on what to do with the rest? Always a dilemma....

Thanks again!

Kate

You could put the remainder of the can in a pot of water, let it simmer for several hours, you will have caramel. You could make a scaled down batch of coconut macaroons. It's been a long day ..those are the only two things that come to mind at the moment..I know I've used it in some other savory application.
    Karen

I made 7 Layer or Magic bars with the remaining condensed milk. It's the cookie bar with a graham cracker layer on the bottom, layer of coconut, choc chips, etc. and you pour the condensed milk on top and bake. I sent most of the bars to my husband's work so I wouldn't eat the whole pan.