Community Message Boards

Thread: Flour expiration date

Question Flour expiration date

My flour has a "best by" date of January 2007. I was planning on just smelling it and tasting it to see if it had gone rancid. Any other reason I should just pass and throw it out?

Best By dates are not expiration dates. The flour didn't *poof* go bad at the stroke of midnight on Jan 31. If it doesn't taste rancid, it's fine.

I read somewhere (so long ago I can't remember where) that you can put the flour in the fridge or even the freezer to prolong the shelf life. Does anyone know if this is true? Does it change the quality of the baked goods also when using flour that was previously frozen?

If it doesn't taste rancid, it's fine.
    That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure no one knew something I didn't!

I read somewhere (so long ago I can't remember where) that you can put the flour in the fridge or even the freezer to prolong the shelf life. Does anyone know if this is true? Does it change the quality of the baked goods also when using flour that was previously frozen?
    I think that's right. However, I had a friend who stored her sugar in the freezer because she'd been getting bugs. It must've been in there A LONG TIME. We opened the bag and it reeked of fish. Presumably it had been next to some frozen fish.

Quote Originally Posted by lmtladb View Post
    All of my flours live in the freezer (particularly whole wheat flours) and it doesn't effect the baked goods at all.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    All of my flours live in the freezer (particularly whole wheat flours) and it doesn't effect the baked goods at all.
    Mine too, or they don't last very long here. They are quite happy in there with my rice (although I then had to buy another fridge for the regular stuff )
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

I try to store some of my flour in the refrigerator, haven't gone the freezer route. Do you let it come to room temp before measuring? I try to do that -- not sure how much of a difference it makes. One other thing, doo you store in right in the paper bag and then put it in a plastic bag.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    I try to store some of my flour in the refrigerator, haven't gone the freezer route. Do you let it come to room temp before measuring? I try to do that -- not sure how much of a difference it makes. One other thing, doo you store in right in the paper bag and then put it in a plastic bag.

Thanks,

I don't bother with letting it come to room temp (especially for things like pie dough and biscuits where cold is better) just whisk and then measure. I do put the bag inside a gallon freezer bag but it doesn't actually close until I start using it. The a-p flour only goes in the freezer until the plastic container is empty. I do go through quite a bit of a-p flour but I like it to spend at least a week in the freezer. I hate seed moths!!

Sneezles -- Thanks for your help. I will do it the "Sneezles Way".

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Sneezles -- Thanks for your help. I will do it the "Sneezles Way".
    When it comes to baking, you really can't go wrong with that method.

Sneezles - what are seed moths? I keep all flours in the freezer except for AP since I go through it more quickly. Do I need to be worried about these seed moths?

Quote Originally Posted by jtoepfert100 View Post
    Sneezles - what are seed moths? I keep all flours in the freezer except for AP since I go through it more quickly. Do I need to be worried about these seed moths?

Jen,
    They're the same as flour moths, pantry moths, pantry pests, etc. If you go through the flour quickly it shouldn't be a problem but I tend to keep 15 to 20 pounds (in 5 lb. bags) because I hate running out and it's too far to the store.

Thanks. So far, I've never had an issue with any type of pantry bug. I did buy a box of grits from the store once that had bugs in it when I got home but that was it. I never have more than 5 lbs of flour on hand so I suppose I should be okay.