Community Message Boards

Thread: cream cheese frosting in fridge?

cream cheese frosting in fridge?

I made a carrot cake from CL that has a cream cheese frosting. Do I have to keep it in the fridge? I am afraid that the cake's texture won't be as great, but we don't want to get sick. What do you think? Also, how about buttercream frostings? Do they need to stay in the fridge too?

TIA! Kelly

carrot cake (especially moist ones) don't suffer from being in the fridge. in fact, sometimes they seem to taste even better cold. not sure about a light carrot cake and/or light frosting, though. that may be a different animal.

from everything I have read, cream cheese frosting is supposed to be refrigerated. but to be honest, I rarely refrigerate cakes with cream cheese icings and they hold up just fine (full fat ones). in fact, I have a chocolate cake with choc cream cheese frosting on my counter now and it has been there for 2 days and it is fine.

buttercream frostings which are made with just butter, powdered sugar, and a bit of milk/cream do not need to be refrigerated.

but again, for your light carrot cake, you may want to refrigerate that.

I do tend to keep cakes with cream cheese or sour cream frosting in the fridge, but take them out an hour or two before serving so they can come to room temperature. However, I do occassionally forget to store them in the fridge and the frosting has never gone bad on me, so it's probably not necessary.
    ~Moneypenny~

Are you talking about the carrot cake from the latest issue? I stored that cake in the fridge and it was still great served cold.

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist View Post
    in fact, I have a chocolate cake with choc cream cheese frosting on my counter now and it has been there for 2 days and it is fine.
    ooooooh, how do you do chocolate cream cheese frosting? that sounds wicked tasty.
    Lorien