Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Ripa on the cover of Shape

Kelly Ripa on the cover of Shape

Anyone esle disturbed by the pic of Ripa on the cover of this month's SHAPE? she looks so creepy to me.
    The article inside on her is even more disturbing IMHO. She talks about how she just gave up smoking (good for her) but I think she has deeper eating disorder issues as well. I say I think because she doesn't come right and say so. She does give the impression that she barely eats and that she is obsessive about her weight and exercise.
    She definitely looks underweight to me.
    The title on the cover is what irks me the most- "she shows us the moves that got her THIS body". Well that body is only attainable to people who eat under a 1000 calories a day, run marathons etc or otherwise exercise obsessively.
    I know she is probably a naturally tiny person but do we really need more of these images-especially on a magazine that purports to encourage healthy lifestyles?

Anyway I know this is not a new topic around here but I just had to vent.

Shape offers some good information but with covers like this I am not going to buy it.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

As most people know, I am NOT a Kelly Ripa fan. I haven't seen the cover, but she's one of the last people I would expect to see on the cover of Shape. Who's next, Nicole Ritchie?? why not give us an athlete or someone whose healthy habits we can try to emulate??

On a slightly similar topic, I was web-shopping for some clothes for DS. I went to LL Bean, and up pops some anorexic-looking models in bikinis. I immediately logged out and went to Lands End, where the majority of their models seemed healthier-looking. I purchased all of his clothes from Lands End.

Funny that you should mention Kelly Ripa -- as I am recuperating from surgery, I am indulging in the tabloid magazines like People and US.

There is a picture of Kelly dressed in an outfit from That Girl -- that Marlo Thomas sitcom from the 60's.

She was scary skinny especially when I realized that Marlo during that era had been quite slender but Ripa looked like an undernourished child in comparison with old shots of Marlo.

There is not any way an adult female could look like that and not have some form of eating disorder.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    There is not any way an adult female could look like that and not have some form of eating disorder.
    As an avid fan and coach of track and field the only athletes I see who look remotely like Ripa are long distance runners. Sadly many of them also have eating disorders or are at the very least obsessive about what they eat.
    In the feature Ripa says she never eats breakfast but has two coffees instead. She eats a small turkey sandwich mid mornng, a pear for a snack later in the day and then a small piece of fish or chicken with a salad for dinner.

Sounds fun.
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

I used to subscribe to Shape, and the criticism about the women they choose to use for illustrations is nothing new. I haven't seen the Ripa cover, and I never saw anyone in the mag that I thought was scary-skinny. They do, however, consistently use very thin women in their editorial. They SAY the right things, preaching healthy diet vs. extreme, healthy body & mind vs. obesession with being super-thin, but their pictures tell a different story. So, I'm not surprised, although I AM surprised that they printed her diet since it would seem contrary to what they normally promote. I hope they get a lot of reader mail about this.

This is the cover being discussed.

Thanks for posting that Gumbeaux. I don't know how to do things like that.

Yes I hope SHAPE readers do respond and I agree about how hypocritical they are (like most women's magazines I am afraid).

Nigella Lawson

What are the exercises she says she is doing?

I hadn't seen the SHape cover -- what is ironic is that it appears that it has been Photoshopped to make Ripa appear plumper

There is no way the body underneath the Marlo clothing didn't have bones sticking out the way Nicole Richie's body did in many of her bathing suit candids.

Meatloaf

This is a little bit OT, but what bugs me about CL is that in the column where a reader writes in and asks for a workout, CL uses a model to demonstrate the exercises. Why not use the reader? Wouldn't that be a cool thing to see, genuine, actual people, not models, doing the workout suggested for them? This column is probably my least favorite CL feature because of that. I think, "yeah, we know this fabulous-looking fitness model can do your workout, but what about us normal people?"

I hadn't seen the SHape cover -- what is ironic is that it appears that it has been Photoshopped to make Ripa appear plumper
    Definitely Photoshopped - check out her bikini line! Her bathing suit just seems to fade into nothingness, and her legs appeared to be a bit... webbed.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by badunnin View Post
    Definitely Photoshopped - check out her bikini line! Her bathing suit just seems to fade into nothingness, and her legs appeared to be a bit... webbed.
    lol

Maybe the Photoshop artist wanted to make her legs webbed to match her fingers.

While I agree that she is not a very fit looking person, I don't know why she should have an eating disorder just because she is very thin.

I have known people who are just naturally very thin. She shouldn't have to feel bad about it and overeat so that the chunkier among us don't feel bad about ourselves. If she's healthy and happy, good for her.

Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a backlash against skinny people these days. Because so many of us (me included) could stand to lose a few pounds, it doesn't mean that being overweight should be accepted and celebrated and considered 'normal' and being skinny should be reviled.

Angela

She lost my respect a couple of years ago when she nattered on about tanning and how she was addicted to tanning, even calling herself "tanorexic."

She is no model of healthy behavior to me.

[QUOTE=kima;1199390In the feature Ripa says she never eats breakfast but has two coffees instead. She eats a small turkey sandwich mid mornng, a pear for a snack later in the day and then a small piece of fish or chicken with a salad for dinner.

Sounds fun.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an eating disorder to me -- at most I would imagine it's 800 calories.

At least she's honest about the small amount she eats as it's way funny when some of the anorexics/bulimics/cokeho's claim they scarf down anything they want because of their fast metabolism.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    While I agree that she is not a very fit looking person, I don't know why she should have an eating disorder just because she is very thin.

I have known people who are just naturally very thin. She shouldn't have to feel bad about it and overeat so that the chunkier among us don't feel bad about ourselves. If she's healthy and happy, good for her.

Sometimes I wonder if there isn't a backlash against skinny people these days. Because so many of us (me included) could stand to lose a few pounds, it doesn't mean that being overweight should be accepted and celebrated and considered 'normal' and being skinny should be reviled.

Angela
    Ripa is definitely a naturally small woman no doubt (doot ) about (aboot) it.
    But she admits that she eats very little-appears to be less than 1000 calories a day.
    Of course there are naturally thin people and I personally hold nothing against them. My gut feelings on Ripa are that she is deliberately and obsessively keeping her weight very low. Yes that is her choice. She makes millions of dollars based on her looks and probably feels alot of pressure. She does say in the article that is she is vain. Is that vanity and obsessiveness something we should celebrate and revere? We are a sick society in so many ways though-let me count the ways.......

As I said I am around and see pictures of incredible looking athelets all the time. I just got back from Birmingham England where I watched the European Indoor Athletics Champs. The female athletes there have not an ounce of fat but they have muscle and shape and it looks natural (Natural after hours of training). I celebrate women like that. I certainly don't hold anything against toned, fit women.
    There has to be a happy medium and there are so many women who could and should be role models for young girls.

Nigella Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by kima View Post
    Ripa is definitely a naturally small woman no doubt (doot ) about (aboot) it.
    But she admits that she eats very little-appears to be less than 1000 calories a day.
    Of course there are naturally thin people and I personally hold nothing against them. My gut feelings on Ripa are that she is deliberately and obsessively keeping her weight very low. Yes that is her choice. She makes millions of dollars based on her looks and probably feels alot of pressure. She does say in the article that is she is vain. Is that vanity and obsessiveness something we should celebrate and revere? We are a sick society in so many ways though-let me count the ways.......

As I said I am around and see pictures of incredible looking athelets all the time. I just got back from Birmingham England where I watched the European Indoor Athletics Champs. The female athletes there have not an ounce of fat but they have muscle and shape and it looks natural (Natural after hours of training). I celebrate women like that. I certainly don't hold anything against toned, fit women.
    There has to be a happy medium and there are so many women who could and should be role models for young girls.
    My problem is that what has become the aspirational look for women and girls is a body that can be achieved by women only through some form of eating disorder -- or drugs/cigarettes as is done by most of the thin starlets and models.

Models have always had figures that weren't the norm -- But compare Cindy Crawford/Brooke Shield to what is acceptable in today's society. There was an interview with Paulina (80's model) who admitted that she could never have become a model in today's climate which requires a size 0/2 instead of a size 6. My aunts/mother were all considered attractive in their era but were allowed to be a size 8/10.

I don't think anyone would ever say that sloth and fat should be celebrated but why has society imposed such an impossible goal for girls and women -- women that has very little to do with fitness and strength and more to do with drugs and starvation.

Meatloaf

Another slight highjack here. I indulged in People magazine while in the excessively long grocery line today. While I didn't read the entire article, I did peak at the story on Valerie Bertinelli (she's on the cover). She talks about how she's put on weight and wants to get back down to a size six but would be happy with an eight. She makes the comment (I'm paraphrasing), "When did size zero become normal?" And I agree wholeheartedly. Somewhere along the way our society (entertainment industry?) decided that the thinner you were, the better.
    I have put on a number of pounds since having kids, and I find myself beating myself up for the extra weight. I like the attitude of celebrities like Kate Winslet (a rarity). She's happy with her healthier figure. The Kelly Ripa thing bugs. Whenever I see her on TV, she looks like a rail. Forget healthy. It simply isn't attractive.
    I too used to subscribe to Shape. This was a number of years ago. I remember them touting the fact that they used healthier, fuller models in the magazine. Over time, their models have become thinner and thinner. I don't get the magazine anymore. I find CL's models, while thin, much more realistic.
    TKay

Just FYI, Kelly Ripa is not naturally that thin. She started out on All My Children (the soap opera) and I have been watching that show for 34 years ( ). Anyhow, when she first came on, she was not the thin person she is now, so I think she is likely anorexic (or whatever) as well. That all came after her big fame on the Regis show. I'll try and find an old pic.....

Couldn't find a pic, but here's a video of her on All My Children (this is how I remember her!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z88zob2UWeI

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    She is no model of healthy behavior to me.
    Especially when she "toed" the line of indecency on her show.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Just FYI, Kelly Ripa is not naturally that thin. She started out on All My Children (the soap opera) and I have been watching that show for 34 years ( ). Anyhow, when she first came on, she was not the thin person she is now, so I think she is likely anorexic (or whatever) as well. That all came after her big fame on the Regis show. I'll try and find an old pic.....

Couldn't find a pic, but here's a video of her on All My Children (this is how I remember her!)

[

I remember her as "Hayley Vaughan" too, with her Goth appearence. Definitely a heavier but NORMAL weight.

Laura

I find this new super thin amoung all the celebs very disturbing. Women who didn't need to lose weight are now 20 lbs thinner. they look like bobbleheads. Also with this rail thinness came the perma-tan. Is that supposed to make them look healthy?

Meg

My problem is that what has become the aspirational look for women and girls is a body that can be achieved by women only through some form of eating disorder -- or drugs/cigarettes as is done by most of the thin starlets and models.
    I caught myself thinking about that when Eva Mendes was on the cover of one of the fitness magazines recently; how hypocritical to put a smoker on the cover of a magazine about health and fitness!
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

Speaking of tans, are tanning bed tans a different color than real tans? I sometimes see women that I know go to the tanning bed religiously and they seem to have a funny color. Or is it just that it is unnaturally even and dark?

As for Kelly, that picture doesn't even look like in the face. I think the whole photo has been massively Photoshopped.
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by kima View Post
    n the feature Ripa says she never eats breakfast but has two coffees instead. She eats a small turkey sandwich mid mornng, a pear for a snack later in the day and then a small piece of fish or chicken with a salad for dinner.

Sounds fun.
    That's not enough to keep a goldfish alive!

I dunno - I'm too much of an "enjoyment" eater I guess. If I only had a small turkey sandwich, pear, and small piece of fish to look forward to every day I'd start stabbing my eyes out.

Interestingly enough, I was reading an article about food deprivation being a life-extender, and there are groups of people who restrict their calories as a goal to live a longer life. Perhaps that's what she's doing? (doubt it, though).

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefzhat View Post

I dunno - I'm too much of an "enjoyment" eater I guess. If I only had a small turkey sandwich, pear, and small piece of fish to look forward to every day I'd start stabbing my eyes out.
    My husband calls it "recreational eating" and it's one of our favorite things to do. Unfortunately, it's also why we both joined Weight Watchers!
    Margaret

Interestingly enough, I was reading an article about food deprivation being a life-extender, and there are groups of people who restrict their calories as a goal to live a longer life. Perhaps that's what she's doing? (doubt it, though).

Debie
    If this were the case, more celebs would be touting it instead of pulling Nicole Richie's and stating their hypoglycemic. And starting a regimine like that any time before your 30s can severely alter one's metabolism, effectively shutting it down for years. It takes a LONG time to "repair" or "rebuild" one's metabolism, and too many women are out their destroying theirs to lose a few pounds.

In the case of Kelly Ripa, excessive exercise can also be a warning sign of an eating disorder. I don't want to jump out and say she has developed one--the topic is a bit of a sore one to me-- she clearly exhibits the warning signs (LOOKS too skinny, little nourishment, too much daily activity) and should seek help. I find it amazing that she is able to keep up with her children with the small amount of energy she allows herself everyday.

As for Shape Magazine- their diet and exercise advice has become more detrimental to their readers than helpful. Their focus has turned back toward promoting stick skinny, unhealthy women, and it really is a shame. The wording in some of their articles is really questionable and misleading. A current headline: "Chocolate That Keeps You Slim--Go ahead, indulge! These delicious desserts won't pack on the pounds." How does chocolate keep one slim? What if you alraedy consumed your caloric total for the day, and at dessert time will be eating excessively. You're still eating more food than you need and may end up gaining weight. I'm being picky, but they nonsense the post is confusing.

This stuff just really ticks me off.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

This image should tell you where she is going with her tanning...especially in her face....She is/was a beautiful woman....I hate to see her age prematurely, that's all.

You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

That's not enough to keep a goldfish alive!

Debie
    Amen to that sister!

I think most of who post here love food and eating!
    While I do not have a serious wieght problem I have put a few pounds on as I head to 50. (maybe 5-8 in the past 5 years) While it would be nice to lose them I am not willing to cut back my food intake to do it. I exercise as much as my knees will allow. I accept that I will not be the super fit athlete I once was but neither do I need to be completely unfit.

In other words I would not deprive myself of pleasure (in moderation) to achieve a weight that would require me to constantly watch every morsel I ate.
    I accept a few extra pounds instead.

DH looked at the picture of Ripa and said "who is that-she looks awful! " Love that guy so much.

Nigella Lawson

Quote Originally Posted by semmens View Post
    I remember her as "Hayley Vaughan" too, with her Goth appearence. Definitely a heavier but NORMAL weight.

Laura

She was only 19 when she started as Hayley Vaughan and probably noticed the "10" pounds the camera puts on. I've always enjoyed watching her (on All My Children and Hope & Faith) but I don't watch Regis at all so I hadn't noticed how thin she's gotten.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!