Community Message Boards

Thread: How to "dress up" frozen spinach

How to "dress up" frozen spinach

Oops! That should have been "How to 'dress up' frozen spinach???" I left the question mark out of the title and now I can't fix it! Oh well. . .

I have a bag of frozen spinach I'd like to serve alongside stuffed shells tonight. If it weren't for one picky 5-year-old, I'd just mix it into the cheese stuffing for the shells, but I think it will be better as a side dish.

What can I do to make my frozen spinach more interesting without adding a lot of fat or calories?

Thanks!
    Robyn
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

This CL recipe is one of my favorites:

Creamed Spinach

From Cooking Light
    This lightened version of the popular steak house side dish still delivers full flavor.

1/2 cup fat-free milk
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    Cooking spray
    1 cup thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk; set aside.

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add leek and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in milk mixture; cook 1 1/2 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until smooth; cook 1 minute.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)

CALORIES 86 (39% from fat); FAT 3.7g (sat 2.2g,mono 1g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 5.2g; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; CALCIUM 149mg; SODIUM 276mg; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 1.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 9.4g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

This is so funny - I just posted a little recipe for something we do with spinach in the post about what we all keep on hand now.
    Another quick way I like it is with lots of sauteed onions and garlic, then throw in some toasted pine nuts. Sometimes I'll just serve it like that over angel hair pasta!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

* Exported from MasterCook *

Zippy Spinach

Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/2 cups frozen spinach, thawed and drained
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup light cream
    2 tablespoons horseradish
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine and heat.

55.4 calories per serving.

This recipe, from the 1962 Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook is very good. It says it serves four, but my DH and I like it well enough to eat it all.

Scalloped Spinach

1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
    2 tablespoons finely chopped onion or less dried onion
    2 beaten eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup shredded sharp process American cheese [or Cheddar or Parmesan, or whatever you have]
    1/2 cup buttered soft bread crumbs

Combine all ingredients except crumbs. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt [I leave out], dash pepper. Turn into 9 12/ x5 1/4 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pan. [I use a 1-quart Corningware casserole.] Top with crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes or till silver knife inserted halfway between center and outside comes out clean. Serves 4.

I buy CASES of frozen organic spinach at a time! LOVE it.
    I add it to dishes with eggs (fritatta, omelette, etc.)
    I add it to pasta sauces to "add a veggie" with pastas.

I make it asian style (soy sauce, sesame seeds, garlic) with asian style dishes for a side.

I leave it simple, with olive oil and salt/pepper, as a side dish for beef or pork dishes.

I ALWAYS add it to canned soups to up the veggie content and make canned soups a bit more healthy; same for baked beans if I use canned.
    I just discovered condensed clam chowder from trader joes---I take that, add a bag of 10oz frozen and add a can of clams with soymilk as the "water or milk" addition. We love this. I don't do it often, but it is a fun splurge.

I have added it to peanut noodle recipes for 'more veggies' because i blends so well with the sauce.

If I am in a pinch for a veggie to add to a salad, I've added it to tuna salad to stretch it and make it healthier (that and shredded carrots).

I thaw and drain thoroughly and add it into sandwich fillings instead of lettuce and I use very drained spinach as pizza toppings (feta, spinach, onions and sauce + garlic ..YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM).
    I make a silken-tofu spinach pie (posted here before) that is really good too.

editing to add, I just re-read your post...oops.
    I would think blending into a sauce you put over the shells or just a simple salt/pepper would be fine. If they don't like it, hiding it is the only way out.
    What are you putting in your shells...can you cmbine the spinach into it?
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I had never made creamed spinach before Easter, but DS requested it. I used a different CL recipe than what Sneezles posted, and it was a huge hit. I mixed it up on Saturday and then reheated it with a little skim milk to thin it just before serving on Sunday. It will definitely be on my veggie rotation from here forward.

Creamed Spinach

2 (10-ounce) bags fresh spinach - I used 2 TJ's 16 oz frozen bags, thoroughly squeezed after defrosting
    Cooking spray
    2 tablespoons minced shallots
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup fat-free milk
    1/2 cup tub-style light cream cheese, softened

Remove large stems from spinach, and rinse with cold water; drain. Place a large Dutch oven over medium heat, and add spinach. (Spinach will need to be tightly packed into the pan to cook all of it in one batch). Cover and cook 5 minutes or until spinach wilts; stir spinach well after 2 minutes. Place spinach in a colander, and drain well, pressing spinach with the back of a spoon to remove as much moisture as possible.

Place pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Combine flour, salt, and nutmeg; add to pan, stirring well. Cook 30 seconds. Add milk and cheese, stirring with a whisk; cook 1 minute or until thick. Add spinach; cook 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 110(44% from fat); FAT 5.4g (sat 3g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 7.9g; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 204mg; SODIUM 346mg; FIBER 5.2g; IRON 3.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 9.5g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 1998