Community Message Boards

Thread: What happens if you get nail polish in your hair?

What happens if you get nail polish in your hair?

I know, bizarre question. But you ladies know EVERYTHING, right?

So what happens if you get nail polish in your hair? I assume nail polish remover would get it out, but would also "fry" and bleach the affected hair. True? Would any trace of the polish color be left? Anything else I should know?

Thankfully, I ask not for myself but for a character in my novel.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

i am seriously irrationally tempted to try it out and let you know. but i think i will wait for someone with firsthand experience to pipe up
    - Josie

tamawrite, I think you should try it! After all, don't you want to suffer for your art? You could do it on an under layer of hair, where no one would see if it damaged the hair.

I don't think acetone will hurt your hair. It's not peroxide, so it shouldn't bleach. And your fingernails are very similar in composition to your hair, aren't they? (I think they are, but not 100% sure on that). So if you can use it on your fingernails, you should be able to use it on your hair. I would just wash it very well after I got all the nail polish out (obviously).

OK editing to add that I read your post quickly and didn't notice the part that it's for a hypothetical situation. But still, I don't think it would hurt your hair in the short term - maybe if you left it on for a long time, but not just for removing some nail polish.

Okay, I know this one (and I am guessing some other moms of girls do too ). It really just depends on how much polish is is, and what kind (good quality polishes are easier to remove then the cheap, glittery stuff little girls tend to use). But, assuming it is regular, "adult" nail polish and not a huge quantity, nail polish remover should get it out. I have used non-acetone polish remover and that did not affect the hair. If a few flecks stick that a hard to get off with the remover, you can scrape them off with a fingernail.

Of course, if you don't want the polish to be easy to get out, then make sure it is a lot, and use glittery polish that will stick really well, and let it dry in there for a good long while . . .
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Is this a hypothetical question?

Depending on how much polish and where in the hair, you could always cut it.

Tamawrite, you DO ask the most interesting questions! I am looking forward to reading your book!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by generic View Post
    tamawrite, I think you should try it! After all, don't you want to suffer for your art? You could do it on an under layer of hair, where no one would see if it damaged the hair.
    I prefer to suffer vicariously through you all.

LMGal, I'll sign your copy!

Thanks everyone. Cheap, sparkly nail polish. Lots of it. Ewww.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by tamawrite View Post
    I prefer to suffer vicariously through you all.

Thanks everyone. Cheap, sparkly nail polish. Lots of it. Ewww.
    So I'm guessing you don't want the polish to come out without any problems I can't believe my DD is the only one who has gotten nail polish in her hair I'll definitely look forward to reading the book.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.