Community Message Boards

Thread: The Mystery of bread twist tie colors....

The Mystery of bread twist tie colors....

...revealed!

I learned this yesterday, from the red book we have in the break room at work and since we've had two interesting threads on bread and bakeries I thought everyone else would be interested:

Bread is delivered five days a week, Monday Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and the bread maker puts a different colored tie on to designate which day of the week the bread was baked:

Monday - Blue

Tuesday - Green

Thursday - Red

Friday - White

Saturday - Yellow

The Truth:
    According to the grocery store manager we checked with, this is true, but each bread company uses its own color code, so there isn't just one that will apply to everything on the shelf.

While it may not explain everything, it may give you a better idea of which loaves may be fresher than others...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Interesting, but I always look at the Best Before date printed either on the bag or the closure tab.

What lept out at me was the absence of Wednesday baking: I was recently out with someone (actually, I think it was Eva!) and mentioned that when I was a kid you couldn't buy fresh sourdough (or any bread that wasn't pre-sliced) on Wednesdays. So that's still a traditional day off for bakers?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    What lept out at me was the absence of Wednesday baking: I was recently out with someone (actually, I think it was Eva!) and mentioned that when I was a kid you couldn't buy fresh sourdough (or any bread that wasn't pre-sliced) on Wednesdays. So that's still a traditional day off for bakers?
    My local bakery is closed Mondays, and they were in Europe as well.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Snopes has a very thorough explanation of the colorful twisties. It's really more for the store than for the consumer. Bread is replaced every 2nd to third day. So, the colors are for the stock clerk to know what loaves to pull. Basically there should only be 2 colors of twisties in a particular manufacturer's loaves on a shelf at any given time. One for the day before and one for the current day. Possibly 3 colors given that Wednesday no bread is baked or delivered.
    The trick for the consumer is to learn what colors each manufacturer uses so they can figure out which is the freshest loaf.
    If you're like me, most bread I buy goes into the freezer at home. So, I don't care if it's a day old.

It's easier for me to determine the freshness of a loaf of bread by doing a gentle "squeeze test" because the tied end is placed to the rear of the shelf. Also, like almost everything else in a grocery store, when the shelves are stocked the product is rotated so that the oldest product is on top and towards the front. Tip: reach for the back.

Recently I've found quite a few products at my favorite grocery store had already expired and they were still on the shelf... i.e. yogurt, flour tortillas, etc. I've become very careful about checking all of that before purchasing and I, like Gumbeaux, always go for the products in the back.

I had always wondered about the color of the bread ties.... thanks!

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Kate B View Post
    Recently I've found quite a few products at my favorite grocery store had already expired and they were still on the shelf... i.e. yogurt, flour tortillas, etc. Kate
    I actually stopped shopping at Ralph's because of this. I found many items past the sell by date and I said something to the managers. They assured me it would be taken care of and I'd go back the next week and the stuff was still there and now an additional week past the sell by date. I'm talking meat and dairy items that can't really tolerate being that far past the date. Well, I stopped shopping there after that incident.