Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Recipes Using Unsweetened Chocolate

ISO: Recipes Using Unsweetened Chocolate

I seem to have an unusually large amount of unsweetened chocolate in my pantry. I have no idea what I bought it for (it's been there for awhile...), but it would be nice to use some of it up!

Any suggestions for recipes that use this ingredient?

Quick and easy would be esp. appreciated as I have a craving for something chocolatey and desserty would love to be able to whip something up this afternoon!

TIA!

Here's a recipe I've made a couple of times in the last month, and I love it. I made it as written the first time, but the crust never got done....so the second time, I baked the crust along for most of the cooking time, THEN put the filling on top and baked a few more minutes. Yumyumyum.

PATTI'S 1880 RESTAURANT BOO-BOO PIE

A fudgy, brownie-like layer forms the crust for this diet-busting "pie" (it's worth the calories).

2 2/3 cups coconut (one 7 ounce bag)
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup butter
    3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3 eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.
    Mix together coconut and milk; set aside.
    Melt butter and chocolate together in a microwave set at medium heat (this should take about 3 minutes). Stir until smooth. Combine with sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract.
    Spoon this chocolate batter into the pie pan and spread over the bottom of the pan. Spread coconut-milk mixture on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border between it and the edge so the chocolate layer can form a crust as the pie bakes. Bake 25 minutes. see notes above!
    Serves 8.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

According to Pantrysubs,
    Semi-sweet ( 1 oz.) =1 ounce unsweetened chocolate plus 1 tablespoon sugar
    HTH
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Thanks to your question, I found a recipe I forgot all about. It's real easy and simple, Turkey Mole Burritos. If you are interested, I will post the recipe.

Here's my brownie recipe, courtesy of Betty Crocker. Easy and yummy.

Brownies
    4 oz unsweetened chocolate
    2/3 c shortening
    2 c sugar
    4 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/4 c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 c chopped nuts

Heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13. Melt chocolate and shortening in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat when melted ands tir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into pan and bake 30 minutes or until brownies start to pull away slightly from the sides of the pan. Do not overbake.

Oohh...thanks erin elizabeth - that looks right up my alley for today!

little_bopeep, the Boo-Boo pie sounds *so* good! I have enough unsweetened chocolate that I can probably make that next!

LakeMartinGal, thanks for the sub info. Is Pantrysubs the same as this website: http://www.grandmaspantry.com/substitutions.html I like having a reference like that that I can quickly go to.

cookieee, I'm actually a vegetarian - but does your recipe call for ground turkey? If so, I'm thinking I might be able to use soy crumbles or similar. I've never made mole sauce before - that could be fun!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by jif View Post
    LakeMartinGal, thanks for the sub info. Is Pantrysubs the same as this website: http://www.grandmaspantry.com/substitutions.html I like having a reference like that that I can quickly go to.
    The website I use for subs in this (Baking911), but I'm going to add yours to my favorites! Can't have too much information about this stuff...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

This recipe is awesome!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Outrageous Brownies

Recipe By :Barefoot Contessa
    Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:30
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound unsalted butter
    1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips -- divided
    6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    6 extra-large eggs
    3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
    2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups sugar
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour -- divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 cups diced walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.

Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not over-bake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.

Source:
    "Television Food Network"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_32314_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html"
    Copyright:
    "Copyright 1999, The Barefoot Contessa CookbookThis was adapted from a recipe for chocolate globs in the Soho Charcuterie Cookbook."
    Start to Finish Time:
    "0:30"
    Ratings : 100 0
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 325 Calories; 23g Fat (61.0% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 50mg Cholesterol; 172mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

not quick, but makes alot and they freeze well.

Chari

If you have some ice cream around just begging for some hot fudge sauce ...

1 can sweetened condensed milk
    2 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
    pinch salt
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 or 2 Tbsp butter

Pour sc milk into the top of a double boiler and heat over medium heat until just about to boil. Remove from heat; add chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is thoroughly blended. Add salt, vanilla, and butter, and continue to stir until well blended. Serve warm over ice cream. Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator. Reheat over low heat on the stove or at 1/2 power in the microwave.

Aha! I think that's the recipe that caused me to buy all that unsweetened chocolate, surfer376! I did make those brownies a few years ago and they were decadent and delicious! Thanks for the reminder!

Mmmmm....hot fudge sauce! Maybe I should break out my new ice cream maker this weekend and make up a batch so I have an excuse to try out this sauce. Thanks, funniegrrl!

You are welcome jif, how about a hot fudge brownie sundae yum!

Chari

Here's a simple but tasty snack cake. Best served warm w/a little vanilla ice cream.

Chocolate Picnic Cake

Recipe By :Taste of Home 2002 Annual Recipes, pg. 205
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake or Pie Dessert

2 squares unsweetened chocolate -- (1 oz each)
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup cold water
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla -- optional (my addition)
    1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a microwave, melt chocolate; cool for 10 min. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and sugar. Beat in the water and oil. Stir in melted chocolate and dry ingredients (see note); mix until well blended.

Pour into a greased 8-inch sq baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees for 32-38 min or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.

Yield: 9 servings

NOTES : My flour mixture wouldn't mix into the wet ingredients smoothly. Next time I'll try to sift the dry ingredients over the wet. I had white clumps in the cake! It was still yummy. Moist and chocolatey. It's good warm with french vanilla ice cream. Warm leftovers in the microwave.

This pie is yummy!

Chocolate Cream Pie with Variations

Recipe By :The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, pg. 308
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake or Pie Dessert

1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup plus 2 t. cornstarch
    1/8 t. salt
    3 egg yolks -- beaten
    3 cups milk
    3 oz. unsweetened chocolate -- melted
    1 1/2 T. butter
    1 1/2 t. vanilla
    1 baked 9 inch pastry shell
    whipped cream
    chocolate curls or shavings

Combine 1st 3 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; stir well. Combine egg yolks and milk; gradually stir into sugar mixture. Add melted chocolate.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly (reduce heat slightly if necessary).

Remove from heat; stir in butter (I only used 1/2 T.) and vanilla.

Immediately pour filling into pastry shell. Cover filling with plastic wrap; applying it directly to the surface of the filling. Cool 30 minutes; then chill until firm.

Spread with freshly whipped sweetened cream and top with chocolate curls (I just ran a vegetable peeler over the side of a Hershey's bar).

Variations:

Coconut Cream Pie: Omit chocolate; reduce sugar to 3/4 cup; stir 3/4 cup coconut in with the butter and vanilla; top with whipped cream and 1/3 cup toasted coconut before serving.

Banana Cream Pie: Omit chocolate; reduce sugar to 3/4 cup; place 3 sliced ripe bananas in bottom of pastry before adding filling; top with whipped cream before serving.

NOTES : I used a low-fat graham cracker crust that I got from Cooking Light; I only used 1/2 T. butter instead of 1 1/2 T. in the filling and could probably omit all together in the chocolate version; I used 1 1/2 cups whole milk and 1 1/2 cups 1% milk in the filling. The low-fat crust worked fine but it cracked so I thought it would get soggy the next day, but it was still fine on day 2. If I wanted to impress though, I'd probably just make a full-fat graham cracker crust or a regular pie crust.

Here's the crust I used:

1 cup graham cracker crumbs (original recipe called for reduced-calorie vanilla wafer crumbs--about 30 cookies)
    2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
    1 large egg white, lightly beaten
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350.
    To prepare crust, combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl, tossing with a fork until moist. (I just made it in my food processor) Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 11-12 minutes; cool crust on a wire rack.

Here is my favorite brownie recipe.

Fudgy, Chewy, Cakey Brownies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : TRIED

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Vegetable cooking spray
    2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    4 ounces semisweet chocolate -- can also use bittersweet
    10 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    3/4 cup toasted walnuts -- pecans, macadamia nuts or peanuts (optional)

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl; set aside. Spray an 8-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Fit a 16- by 8-inch sheet of foil in pan and up 2 sides, so you can use foil overhang as a handle to pull cooked brownies from pan. Spray sheet of foil with vegetable cooking spray.

Melt chocolates and butter in a medium bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each one before adding the next. Continue to whisk until mixture is completely smooth and glossy. Add dry ingredients; whisk until just incorporated. Stir in nuts, if desired.

Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into center comes out with wet crumbs, 35 to 45 minutes.

Cool brownies in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Use foil handles to pull brownies from pan. Completely cool brownies on rack, at least 3 hours. Cut into squares and serve. If not serving immediately, do not cut brownies. (Whole brownie cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerated for up to 5 days.)

""
    Ratings : Wow (must make again) 10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 211 Calories; 12g Fat (49.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 59mg Cholesterol; 97mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I finally found a brownie recipe that I love...that I think are perfect...the kind of recipe where I am now able to stop searching for more! They had great height, just the right texture, and a perfect top. Not too fudgey so that they were gooey, not so cakey that you felt the need to eat it with a fork and have icing on them, and just enough chewiness to keep the brownies together.

This is from Pam Anderson's book "The Perfect Recipe" (and it is!) For those of you that don't know who she is, she is with Cook's Illustrated. She was also in a recent article in CL. The book is set up in a similiar format as a CI articles in testing numerous recipes and saying what didn't work, what combination was best etc. Also, like with all of the CI recipes, it's important to follow the steps and the recipe as is to get the same results. The brownie recipe is the first one that I have made from this book, but I know there will be many more.
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

Well, I guess I'm going to have to buy even *more* unsweetened chocolate to give all these recipes a try!

Linda in MO, the Picnic Cake sounds easy and tasty! And the Chocolate Cream Pie is definitely up my alley! I've never made one, but I have guests coming in a couple weeks and that sounds like a good excuse to me to try this one out!

cinnamon_queen, those brownies sound fantastic! Thanks for the recipe!

LOL I'm getting a chuckle from you having "an unusually large amount" and you could "probably" make two recipes requiring a total of 7 oz of unsweetened chocolate. I buy more when I drop below 8 oz (2 4-0z bars) so we always have enough for a batch of brownies or two. Wasn't always like that, but the boys like to bake brownies, and for years, we had to make special trips to get the brand we preferred. I generally keep 12-16 oz on hand. But now that my son is known for making Texas Sheet Cake at school, I think we're using cocoa faster than the unswetened chocolate bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    LOL I'm getting a chuckle from you having "an unusually large amount" and you could "probably" make two recipes requiring a total of 7 oz of unsweetened chocolate. I buy more when I drop below 8 oz (2 4-0z bars) so we always have enough for a batch of brownies or two. Wasn't always like that, but the boys like to bake brownies, and for years, we had to make special trips to get the brand we preferred. I generally keep 12-16 oz on hand. But now that my son is known for making Texas Sheet Cake at school, I think we're using cocoa faster than the unswetened chocolate bars.

Beth, well I think I have about 10-12 oz of unsweetened chocolate in my pantry right now, which for me, is quite a bit. I usually don't have too much chocolate on hand - it's my attempt (a poor one) to keep me from baking all of the sweet treats I love so much (but my waistline does not! ).

But I've been looking at that unsweetened chocolate and wondering what I bought it for (mystery solved - the Barefoot Contessa brownies were the main culprit....I made those while I was pregnant a couple years ago) ....or how could I put it to use now? Thanks to all the great suggestions here, I've got lots of ideas now!

Oh my! These are *delicious*!!! Just made them today and I'm hooked!

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, cinnamon_queen!

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon_queen View Post
    Here is my favorite brownie recipe.

Fudgy, Chewy, Cakey Brownies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : TRIED

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    Vegetable cooking spray
    2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    4 ounces semisweet chocolate -- can also use bittersweet
    10 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 large eggs
    3/4 cup toasted walnuts -- pecans, macadamia nuts or peanuts (optional)

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl; set aside. Spray an 8-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Fit a 16- by 8-inch sheet of foil in pan and up 2 sides, so you can use foil overhang as a handle to pull cooked brownies from pan. Spray sheet of foil with vegetable cooking spray.

Melt chocolates and butter in a medium bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each one before adding the next. Continue to whisk until mixture is completely smooth and glossy. Add dry ingredients; whisk until just incorporated. Stir in nuts, if desired.

Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into center comes out with wet crumbs, 35 to 45 minutes.

Cool brownies in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Use foil handles to pull brownies from pan. Completely cool brownies on rack, at least 3 hours. Cut into squares and serve. If not serving immediately, do not cut brownies. (Whole brownie cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap, then foil, and refrigerated for up to 5 days.)

""
    Ratings : Wow (must make again) 10 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 211 Calories; 12g Fat (49.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 59mg Cholesterol; 97mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : I finally found a brownie recipe that I love...that I think are perfect...the kind of recipe where I am now able to stop searching for more! They had great height, just the right texture, and a perfect top. Not too fudgey so that they were gooey, not so cakey that you felt the need to eat it with a fork and have icing on them, and just enough chewiness to keep the brownies together.

This is from Pam Anderson's book "The Perfect Recipe" (and it is!) For those of you that don't know who she is, she is with Cook's Illustrated. She was also in a recent article in CL. The book is set up in a similiar format as a CI articles in testing numerous recipes and saying what didn't work, what combination was best etc. Also, like with all of the CI recipes, it's important to follow the steps and the recipe as is to get the same results. The brownie recipe is the first one that I have made from this book, but I know there will be many more.

I am so glad you liked the brownies, Jif. I have stopped looking for other brownie recipes after I found this one! Now if I could only find my favorite chocolate chip cookie!
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother