Community Message Boards

Thread: Using up Jiffy Cornbread mix

Using up Jiffy Cornbread mix

So, I have a box of Jiffy Cornbread mix, and I would love to get it off my hands. I wanted to make cornbread muffins, but I have heard that Jiffy tends to make a drier cornbread. How can I make it a little more moist? I do have some buttermilk on hand, could I add that and if so, how much? Any other suggestions for the cornbread mix would also be gladly accepted. Thanks!

I haven't bought that in decades so I don't remember the recipe on the box but buttermilk or sour cream (which I think does a better job) is what I'd substitute for the liquid called for.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I have to admit that Jiffy cornbread mix is my go to mix during the week especially. I've used 1% lowfat milk and I've used buttermilk. It comes out better with buttermilk. It seems "richer" somehow, with a slight tang from the buttermilk. It is sweeter than some cornbread, but I like mine sweet. Especially when I have a spicy bowl of chili with it.
    As far as being dry. I've never had it be "dry". It has a crumbly texture, but I've had moist and crumbly at the same time with other cornbreads. And that's how Jiffy seems to come out. Jiffy is incredibly forgiving by a couple minutes either side of the recommended baking time. Just follow the recipe on the box, using buttermilk instead of regular milk, and don't overbeat the mix. Then just monitor the time and the look of it in the muffin pan. I pull mine out when it's just starting to take on that beautiful G,B & D color we all look for. It darkens a bit more after it comes out of the pan. So, pull it from the oven just slightly on the light side. We usually cut a muffin in half through the equator and put in a thin pat of butter to melt into it.
    Sometimes we don't. Since I only make it with soups or chili or stews, we tend to dip it in the liquid also. Or, even crumble it into the chili.

Make This!

Corn Fritter Casserole
    From Cooking Light

This moist, sweet-savory side dish is a cross between corn bread and corn pudding. Bake it before the lobsters go in the oven; if you cover it loosely with foil, it should still be warm enough when the lobsters are finished. You can use 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels in place of the canned corn, if you prefer.

3 tablespoons butter, softened
    3 large egg whites
    1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained
    1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
    1 (8 1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°.
    Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir in onion, bell pepper, whole-kernel corn, and cream-style corn; mix well. Add muffin mix and black pepper, stirring until well combined. Pour into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Yield: 9 servings (serving size: about 2/3 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 247(31% from fat); FAT 8.4g (sat 3.7g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 8.6g; CHOLESTEROL 31mg; CALCIUM 72mg; SODIUM 629mg; FIBER 1.9g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 36.7g

ditto...

Yes, buttermilk works great in Jiffy cornbread. And I've also never had it turn out "dry".

Here's a recipe we like, in case you want to try something different...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kelly’s Maple Cinnamon Cornbread

Recipe By :recipezaar
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast Cake
    Easy Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
    1 egg
    1/3 cup buttermilk -- (can use regular
    milk)
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1 tsp. vanilla
    *cinnamon and sugar mix

Blend ingredients except *cinnamon and sugar mix, til all is moistened and lightly blended, but batter is still lumpy.
    Let rest 5 minutes.
    Meanwhile, lightly spray 9" deepdish pie pan or glass dish.
    I like to use a round of parchment paper then on the bottom,
    and respray top of paper a little. But not necessary.
    Pour batter into prepared pan, sprinkle top fairly HEAVILY
    with cinnamon and sugar mixed together.
    Bake in pre-heated 400º oven for 15-17 minutes. Watch so it doesn’t burn. Touch top to test for doneness.
    Top will be a nice brown, very tender on the inside!

I have never had dry Jiffy Cornmeal mix, either in muffins or made in a pan. It is great to use if you have extra chili. Pour the chili into a sprayed casserole (can be frozen at this point and brought to room temperature before continuing), mix the Jiffy Mix according to package directions, "blob" onto the chili. Bake as directed for a great comforting casserole.

It makes great waffles, too.
    Last edited by ADM; 04-19-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Pancakes

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is what I use for pancakes- add an egg, some milk & a few blueberries (if I have them). They have a nice texture.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo View Post
    Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix is what I use for pancakes- add an egg, some milk & a few blueberries (if I have them). They have a nice texture.
    I saw your idea on another thread a while back and tried it. Very tasty. I think I used buttermilk though. Darla

It could also be used as a coating for chicken, then baked.

I purchased Jiffy cornbread mix yesterday to use in a recipe for last night's dinner. It worked just fine. I used 3/4 cup of milk, as instructed in the recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef, Bean, and Corn-Bread Casserole

Recipe By :Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 1995, page 58
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:08
    Categories : Meats

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 pound 93% ultra-lean ground beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic -- minced
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    16 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce -- (2 cans)
    16 ounces pinto beans -- (1 can) drained
    4 1/2 ounces chopped green chiles -- (1 can) drained
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1 egg -- lightly beaten
    1 1/3 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal mix

Cook beef, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until browned, stirring frequently to crumble the beef. Drain the beef mixture in a colander.

Return beef mixture to pan. Add chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, tomato sauce, pinto beans, and chiles; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Pour mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray; set aside.

Combine the milk and egg in a bowl, and stir well. Add the cornmeal mix, and stir well. Pour the cornmeal mixture over the beef mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until the corn-bread topping is lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 861 Calories; 19g Fat (19.3% calories from fat); 49g Protein; 127g Carbohydrate; 35g Dietary Fiber; 113mg Cholesterol; 819mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Make-Ahead Tips: You can assemble the casserole ahead of time, omitting the corn-bread topping; cover and chill in the refrigerator or freeze (thaw frozen casserole overnight in the refrigerator). Let casserole stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add corn-bread topping, and bake as directed.

Nutr. Assoc. : 3607 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1506 0 0 0 0 435

I like to check out my box mixes manufacturers websites for recipes that will work with their mix. Here's a link that might be helpful to you http://www.jiffymix.com/

This simple cornbread casserole (sort of a corn spoonbread, really), posted a couple years back by KGriff, is well-liked here. I've been doing it regularly ever since and, in fact, I'm making it this morning with the addition of some chopped ham.

Bob

Corn Bread Casserole

1 (15 ¼ oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (14 ¾ oz.) can cream style corn
    1 (8 ½ oz.) pkg. cornbread or corn muffin mix (like Jiffy)
    1 egg
    2 tbsp. butter, melted
    ½ cup sour cream, optional (but I always use it)

Preheat oven to 400°. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a greased 11”x7” baking dish. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top and edges are golden brown. Don’t overbake—it's best a little mushy inside.

Wink Jiffy Corn Bread

This is it for you! Easy, easy, easy. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar, 1 small can diced green chiles (not hot) and a can of creamed corn. Bake as directed. I make chili, put it in a casserole, top with corn bread mixture, and bake as directed. My daughter does the same thing only with a tamale pie casserole.

My go to cornbread now:

2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
    1 can creamed corn
    6 to 8 oz. shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese

Mix both boxes of Jiffy Mix together according to instructions. Pour one-half into a 8x12 or 9x13 lightly greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Pour can of creamed corn into remaining mixture. Pour on to of cheese (I spread it out with a knife). Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

So easy and so good!

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Thanks for all the suggestions! Made cornbread muffins this morning and they turned out great! Used buttermilk, added a little syrup in the batter, and sprinkled the tops with cinnamon sugar. A great breakfast!