Community Message Boards

Thread: Potato Salad and Deviled Eggs - Cook ahead??

Potato Salad and Deviled Eggs - Cook ahead??

Do you guys have any opinions on whether or not potato salad or deviled eggs are just as good when cooked the day before serving them? I'm having a party tomorrow and I'd love to get a few things out of the way today, but I don't want to have mushy food either.

Thanks for the advice!

I don't know about potato salad, but I often make the deviled eggs ahead of time without filling them. I generally store the whites and the yolk mixture separately in ziplocks and then fill the afternoon of the party. If I fill the deviled eggs earlier, they tend to get weepy.

I always make my potato salad a day ahead. I think it gives the potatoes time to absorb the flavor of the dressing. For the same reason, I try to mix the potatoes and dressing together while the potatoes are still slightly warm from cooking. I think potato salad actually tastes better the next day.....and the next and the next and the next!! So cook ahead so you can enjoy your party tomorrow!
    "Here's a secret: Good cooks make mistakes all the time. They take wrong turns and end up in strange places." Chef Daniel Patterson

I always make mine in advance. I have the Rubbermaid deviled egg container and like to make up deviled eggs as snacks for my lc'g husband.

I amke the deviled eggs the day before, but I don't fill them until the day I am serving them so the tops don't dry out and look OLD. I just mix all the yolks and keep them in a selaed container, arrange all of the eggs on the serving dish, cover and keep cold. Enjoy Always make the salad at least a day before, it tastes sooo much better.

Viva e lascia vivere - - - Live and Let Live

Thanks guys!! It all worked out great. I made Emeril's Favorite Potato Salad, which uses ranch dressing instead of mayo. I also made an interesting recipe for deviled eggs which had sundried tomatoes, rosemary and capers! They were a hit!

Tell about the deviled eggs. Did you just add the sundried tomatoes, capers and rosemary to the usual filling? Sounds good and I'll bet they were pretty. I think that's so important!
    "Here's a secret: Good cooks make mistakes all the time. They take wrong turns and end up in strange places." Chef Daniel Patterson

I got the recipe from a recent article about varieties of deviled eggs. It was very pretty, especially compared to normal deviled eggs. As I mentioned, I added more sundried tomatoes to the mixture. I also used a press to fill the eggs and give it an attractive swirl for serving. I think it's the first time I ever served deviled eggs on a silver platter! ha ha!

Here's the recipe:

Bella Tuscany

The sun-warmed flavors won raves at a recent party and were a hit for tasters for "Deviled Eggs," too. A good choice for picnics and for serving with a light wine.

1 T, plus 1 t of oil packed sundried tom's, drained and chopped
    6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled, cut in half and yolks mashed in a bowl
    6 T sour cream
    1 t fresh lemon juice
    1t finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    2 1/2 t drained and finely chopped capers
    1/8 t garlic powder
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    Slivers of sun-dried tom's for garnish

Gently press the sun-dried tomatoes between several layers of paper towels to remove excess oil.
    Combine the thoroughly mashed yolks with the sour cream and lemon juice. Blend in the sun-dried tomatoes, rosemary, capers and garlic powder. Taste, then season with salt and pepper.
    Fill the whites evenly with the mixture and garnish each egg half with slivers of sun-dried tomato.

Would you also post the recipe for Emeril's potato salad. I'm looking for a real good one. Thanks.

Here ya go!

Emeril's Favorite Potato Salad

14 small boiling potatoes, such as red bliss (about 2 1/2 lbs) scrubbed well
    6 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
    6 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
    1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/3 cup finely chopped celery
    1 cup ranch dressing
    2 t chopped parsley leaves
    1/2 t black pepper

Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Boil until just tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain, cool, then cut the potates in halves.

In large mixing bowl combine potatoes with all remaining ingredients and gently toss to combine. Refridgerate several hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.