Community Message Boards

Thread: what to do with pork chops (on bone)

what to do with pork chops (on bone)

I'm feeling no passion in the kitchen these days and I have pork chops pulled for tonight and no idea what to do with them.

Here are the rules:

1)no long marinade
    2)no crock pot
    3)nothing that is going to end up dry as leather

I have a pretty good solid pantry.

Help
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

Here's one of my favorite ways to prepare pork chops, bone-in or boneless:

Salt & pepper chops.
    Combine a brown or grainy mustard with minced garlic -- say, one clove for every 2 or 3 chops, but you could use less.
    Spread both sides of chops with mustard mixture. Allow to "marinate" for 10-15 minutes or longer.
    Place chops in a single layer in a lightly greased baking dish. Top with very thick whole slices or wedges of onion that have been spritzed with olive oil.
    Bake at 400F until internal temp is 150F.

Great served with sauteed apples.

I made these recently and really enjoyed them. The shallots were soooo good in this recipe. You could easily make these with or without the bone.

BALSAMIC-GLAZED PORK CHOPS

Caramelized shallots and a dark vinegar glaze turn chops into an extremely flavorful sweet-and-sour dish.

4 (3/4-inch-thick) center-cut pork chops (about 2 lb total)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    6 oz small shallots (about 8), quartered and peeled, leaving root ends intact
    2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

Pat pork dry and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook pork (in 2 batches if necessary) along with shallots, turning pork over once and stirring shallots occasionally, until pork is browned and shallots are golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes total. Transfer pork with tongs to a plate and add vinegar, sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to shallots in skillet. Cook, stirring until sugar is dissolved and liquid is thickened slightly, about 1 minute.

Reduce heat to moderate, then return pork along with any juices accumulated on plate to skillet and turn 2 or 3 times to coat with sauce. Cook, turning over once, until pork is just cooked through, about 3 minutes total. Transfer pork to a platter and boil sauce until thickened and syrupy, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour sauce over pork.

Makes 4 servings.

Gourmet
    Last Touch
    March 2006

We made the Barbecue-Rubbed Pork Chops from April CL. We really liked it and it was quick and easy. We cooked them on our grill rather than a grill pan and served with cheddar grits and some grilled corn. It was a really good recipe that we will use again this summer.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

this reminds me that I haven't made this recipe in forever

PORK CHOPS WITH WILD MUSHROOMS & CARMELIZED ONIONS

4 tsp olive oil
    ¾ - 1 lb assorted wild mushrooms, sliced
    2 Tbl + ¾ cup chicken broth (preferably low salt)
    1 large sweet onion, sliced thinly into rounds
    4 1” thick pork chops (smoked are nice, but not essential)
    ½ cup brandy
    ½ tsp dried rubbed sage
    ½ tsp dried rosemary

Preheat oven to 350º. Heat 2 tsp oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add 2 Tbl broth. Cover skillet and cook until mushrooms are beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Uncover and simmer until any juices evaporate. Transfer to bowl. Add 2 tsp oil and onion to same skillet. Cover, cook until onion browns, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Remove and add to mushrooms.
    Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and transfer chops into a 13x9” glass baking dish. Add ¾ cup of stock, brandy and herbs to the skillet. Place over medium-high heat. Boil until reduced by half, scraping up browned bits, about 6 minutes. Pour over pork. Cover and bake until tender, about 25 minutes. Spoon mushrooms and onion over, re-cover, and bake about 5 minutes longer.

Or I've done this recipe with chops instead of tenderloin, you just need to adjust your cooking time a bit

PORK IN SAN FRANCISCO SAUCE

1 Pork tenderloin
    1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
    4 Tbl dry sherry or broth
    4 Tbl low sodium soy sauce (regular will be too salty in this dish)
    2 Tbl brown sugar
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    dash Tabasco or other red pepper sauce
    2 Tbl cold water
    2 tsp cornstarch

Slice tenderloin into 1 ½” thick slices and brown on both sides (can also use chops if desired), remove from pan and add garlic. Cook just until soft. and add pork back to pan. Make sauce from sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and red pepper sauce. Pour over pork. Cover and let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until pork is done. Combine cornstarch and water and add to sauce. Cook until thickened. Serve with rice, noodles, or couscous. Sometimes I’ll double the sauce, just so there’s plenty to pour over the rice or noodles.

This is one of our regular pork recipes - we love it:

Barbecued Pork Chops

Sauce:
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

Remaining ingredients:
    6 (6-ounce) bone-in center-cut pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    Cooking spray

Prepare grill or broiler.

To prepare sauce, combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Place 1/4 cup sauce in a small bowl, and set aside.

Trim fat from pork. Combine the thyme, garlic salt, and pepper; sprinkle over pork. Place pork on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 6 minutes on each side, basting with remaining sauce. Serve pork chops with reserved 1/4 cup sauce.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 pork chop and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

CALORIES 244 (42% from fat); FAT 11.3g (sat 3.9g,mono 5g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 24.6g; CHOLESTEROL 77mg; CALCIUM 22mg; SODIUM 649mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 9.9g

Cooking Light, MARCH 2000
    Sherri

Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.

This is one of our T n' T's...just made these last weekend. I deviate from the original recipe in the prep.

Instead of marinating the chops as directed, I just season with S/P, drizzle with some olive oil and grill (I don't like to grill with marinades that have sugar since it tends to burn easily). With the marinade, I make it as directed, bring it to a boil and let it reduce a little. Baste the chops the last few minutes with some of the sauce, and serve the rest of the sauce with the chops.

Bourbon-Glazed Pork Chops

1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons bourbon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    6 (1-inch-thick) bone-in pork chops

Stir together first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish or large zip-top plastic bag; add pork chops. Cover or seal, and chill 30 minutes, turning once.
    Remove pork from marinade, reserving marinade.

Grill pork, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) about 10 to 12 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 160°, turning once.

Bring reserved marinade to a boil in a small saucepan, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Pour over chops before serving.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

Nancy Matthews, Grayson, Georgia
    Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2004
    - Kiran

I posted yesterday about how good these pork chops were. They were posted by mbrogier and were on this thread:

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=101975

Pork Chops with Tomato Sauce
    from French Carole Clements Elizabeth Wolfe-Cohen

1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    4 large center loip pork chops, about 1 inch, trimmed
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    4 tbsp white wine
    1/2 tbsp dried thyme
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 tsp tomato paste
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
    1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon

1. Melt the butter with the oil in a large heavy frying pan over high heat until sizzling. Season the pork hops with salt and pepper, then add to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-high. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until brown, then transfer the pork chops to a plate and pour off all the fat.

2. Add the wine and thyme to the pan and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the wine has almost evaporated.

3. Add the cream and tomato paste and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, then return the pork chops to the sauce and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat until just firm to the touch. Take care not to overcook.

4. Add the mustard, chopped tomato and herbs, stirring and shaking the pan to distribute them, and cook for 1 minute to heat through. Serve the pork chops with the sauce, accompanied by straw potato cakes (hash brown patties) and garnished with sprigs of tarragon or other herbs.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

I made this one a few nights ago. Quick and simple for a weeknight. It is from a Kraft Foods newsletter.

Saucy Baked Pork Chops

4 bone-in center-cut pork chops (1 lb.)
    1/2 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce
    2 Tbsp. orange marmalade
    1 tsp. ground ginger
    1 tsp. garlic powder

PREHEAT oven to 400ºF. Place chops in 8-inch square baking dish.
    COMBINE sauce, marmalade, ginger and garlic powder; spoon evenly over chops.
    BAKE 45 min. or until chops are cooked through (160ºF).

I think it is the ginger that adds a special flavor to it.

Sandy

This is our favorite pork chop recipe provided by my MIL. This is soooo easy!

Pork Chops and Rice

1 package pork chops (4-6)
    1 green pepper, diced
    1 large onion, diced
    1 1/3 cups uncooked long grain rice
    2 cans beef consomme

In a large skillet, brown chops. Remove from skillet. Saute the green pepper and onion. Mix with rice in a 13x9x2 baking dish. Put the chops on top of that. Pour consomme over all. Bake at 350 for 45 min. to 1 hour. From experience you should check it after about 45 minutes. You may have to stir the rice a little and add a little bit of water to complete the cooking.

I also add garlic when I saute the onions and pepper, but that's just me.

Another favorite of my DH I got from a box of Lipton's Golden Onion Recipe Soup box. Also, very easy.

Golden Onion-Baked Pork Chops

1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Golden Onion Soup Mix
    1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (I use seasoned)
    2 egg whites, well beaten
    4 bone-in pork chops, 1 inch thick

Preheat oven to 400. In small bowl, combine onion soup mix and bread crumbs. Dip chops in egg, then dredge in bread crumb mixture until coated. Arrange chops on baking sheet and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until done.

I use thick cut chops (2") and cook for about 40 minutes.

Thanks ladies!

I always feel like I go back to the barbecued ones which I love but wanted to try something new. I ended up going with Indy's which were great...I grilled the chops and just heated the sauce (vs marinade) and it was delicious that way.

Gil I'll have to try that mushroom and onion one...looks divine. I have tried the other one (probably another post I had about pork chop help ) and it's delicious.

Other stuff looks great so now I have a thread to fall back to..If I can find it again
    Last edited by greysangel; 05-03-2007 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

These were excellent. Hubby said these were the best pork chops he ever had.

Pork Chops

2 cups milk
    3 teaspoons salt (divided)
    4 (1-inch-thick) pork chops (with or without bone)
    3 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (from 10 slices firm white sandwich bread, ground in a food processor) I USED STORE BOUGHT BREAD CRUMBS
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
    2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Marinate pork chops:
    Stir together milk and 2 teaspoons salt in a shallow 3-quart dish (OR ZIPLOC BAG), then add pork chops. Marinate, covered and chilled, turning over once, at least 1 hour.
    Fry pork chops:
    Preheat oven to 400°F.
    Stir together bread crumbs, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and remaining teaspoon salt in a shallow bowl.
    Lift pork chops from milk 1 at a time, letting excess drip off, and dredge in bread crumbs, lightly patting crumbs to help adhere, then transfer to a tray, arranging in 1 layer.
    Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté pork chops in batches, without crowding, turning over once, until golden brown and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer to oven and cook additional 20 minutes on 400. (Add more oil and butter to skillet as needed.)
    Cooks' notes:
    • Pork chops can be marinated in milk up to 4 hours.

Makes 4 servings.

(revised)
    Gourmet
    September 2003