Community Message Boards

Thread: can i cut up potatoes a day early then roast them the next day

can i cut up potatoes a day early then roast them the next day

I would love to know if I can cut up potatoes a day early and then roast them. If so, how.

thanks
    Trisha

Keep them covered in water in the fridge though you may have to change the water a couple of times. I've done it with potatoes I'm going to boil and then mash so I would think it would work for roasted.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

My cooking buddy and I did a superbowl party and she made homemade potato chips. She sliced up the potatoes the night before and soaked them in water, with salt added (not sure if that does anything?). I was a little apprehensive because I had never done potatoes that far in advance, but changed my mind quickly after eating those chips!
    - Kiran

I diced some Friday night, put them in water and forgot to cook them until Monday. It worked out great so I wouldn't hesitate for a day.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Nigella talks about frequently parboiling her potatoes and then refrigerating them and roasting them a day or two later. I'm sure hte directions/discussion (because so many of her recipes are more like a conversation) is probably on line somewhere.

I have done this, with Ina Garten's Garlic Roasted Potatoes. Do not add salt! You can cut them up early & put them in water in your fridge; they won't absorb enough water to worry about. But I found out the hard way what America's Test Kitchen always says: salt draws out the moisture in your veggies--true for taters, too. I prepared Ina's taters & put them, coated in olive oil, kosher salt, garlic, & pepper, in the fridge, & pulled out taters sitting in a watery mess. Surprisingly, they turned out OK, despite the fact that much of the seasoning was left behind in the water. Next time, I'd stick the taters in water in the fridge, & drain them & toss w/ seasonings right b4 roasting--& they'd be fine. Good luck!
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan