Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange Mocha at Starbucks

Orange Mocha at Starbucks

It's back for the summer, as frappucionos or hot or iced. I had it iced this morning. Yum! Dark chocolate and orange (didn't get much of a coffee taste since these two flavors are so strong). Supposedly the orange flavoring used in it is really from oranges. Only negative was that it's a little more expensive than some of the other drinks.

Ooh, they aren't advertising this around here, yet. That sounds good. I vowed that I wouldn't be wooed by their new drinks anymore, (1 friend convinced me to try the dulce de leche latte and it was awful), but I may have to make an exception.
    My blog

Quote Originally Posted by erinl View Post
    Ooh, they aren't advertising this around here, yet. That sounds good. I vowed that I wouldn't be wooed by their new drinks anymore, (1 friend convinced me to try the dulce de leche latte and it was awful), but I may have to make an exception.
    I didn't care for the Dulce de Leche either. But I love the Pumpkin Latte that they serve in the fall. Now that is some kinda good!

That sounds delicious!

I LOVED the full fat dulce de leche latte! The first time I ordered it I forgot to ask for skim and no whipped cream, and it was delicous and rich. The only other time I ordered it, I did ask for their most lightened version, and it wasn't nearly as tasty.

Thumbs up

I had the orange mocha this morning ........it was perfect for the cool morning air......try it your like it

Can't wait to try this combo. Is there much difference in taste between the hot and cold? I am wondering which temperature brings out these flavors, my favorites, more. It sounds so delicious.

They used to make a Mocha Valencia Latte in the fall, but I don't think they do anymore. What I've been doing is ordering a hot chocolate with a half shot of espresso and a double shot of orange syrup, and it's virtually the same. This one sounds like a pretty good substitute!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

That's a good question, JHarris, but I don't know. I've only had the cold version. I usually get cold drinks unless it's extremely cold outside just because I find it more refreshing and thirst-quenching (not that a drink like this is meant to just quench thirst---it's more like a dessert). All I know is that it had a strong enough orange taste that didn't seem artificial and deep chocolate. I know people knock Starbucks and that it's nice to have nonchain coffee shops, but there is a lot of quality products at SB and this is definitely one of them! It almost seems like it would be something you would get in some little cafe in Europe (or at least I'm trying to convince myself of that since travel to Europe isn't in the picture!).

Smile

Acording to our newspapers we will be getting a Starbucks in the little town I live in

Quote Originally Posted by EllenL View Post
    It's back for the summer, as frappucionos or hot or iced. I had it iced this morning. Yum! Dark chocolate and orange (didn't get much of a coffee taste since these two flavors are so strong). Supposedly the orange flavoring used in it is really from oranges. Only negative was that it's a little more expensive than some of the other drinks.

You guys are killing me.

It's at the one by my our house (which seems to get all the roll outs before the rest of the county for some reason). Here' my long winded order because the normal way it's made its way TOO sweet

double tall (if it's afternoon insert "half caf" here) nonfat orange mocha with two pumps of orange and two pumps of mocha, light whip

(Try getting that one repaeted correctly. )

I tried one this afternoon and have to say it will probably replace my "double tall.... toffe nut latte" for the foreseeable future.

And for all you barristas out there: is there a difference between the orange syrup used in this and the "valencia" that they used to have? and does the syrup come in a sugar free version? (just think, another thing I could add to my order )

Oh, and here they have started putting warmers in all the stores and are marketing some pretty good breakfast sandwiches for $2.95. Since we are typically a test market, I don't know if the sandwiches are a nationwide roll out or just a local thing.)
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryH View Post
    Oh, and here they have started putting warmers in all the stores and are marketing some pretty good breakfast sandwiches for $2.95. Since we are typically a test market, I don't know if the sandwiches are a nationwide roll out or just a local thing.)
    We have had breakfast sandwiches for at least a year at our Starbucks in the Seattle area. I haven't had one but they do look good!

what's a warmer? for what?

Quote Originally Posted by luv2cook View Post
    what's a warmer? for what?
    I think she meant a warmer for warming foods up....I don't think they use a microwave (thank goodness). The breakfast sandwiches are similar to an Egg McMuffin and are held in their pastry case. Since they are not made to order, they would need to be warmed before eating.

QUOTE=MaryH;1218790] Here' my long winded order because the normal way it's made its way TOO sweet

double tall (if it's afternoon insert "half caf" here) nonfat orange mocha with two pumps of orange and two pumps of mocha, light whip
    [/QUOTE]

Wow, Mary, you've got to give the baristas a LOT of credit for getting that order right! But I couldn't follow how the double pumps of each makes it less sweet...

I had an Orange Mocha Frappacino today. YUM! Pumpkin is still my favorite, but this one was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by EllenL View Post
    QUOTE=MaryH;1218790] Here' my long winded order because the normal way it's made its way TOO sweet

Wow, Mary, you've got to give the baristas a LOT of credit for getting that order right! But I couldn't follow how the double pumps of each makes it less sweet...[/QUOTE]

It does because normally they put 3 OF EACH into a small (tall) drink - and the additional coffee cuts it a bit as well.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

I had to try this today thanks to the reviews I read here. I ordered a tall iced decaf 1% and told the barista I wanted "light" flavorings as I don't like really sweet drinks. She did 1 1/2 pumps of the orange and chocolate and it was perfect for me. The flavors were there but not overly sweet. I thought this was delicious and refreshing. I would definitely order it again.

Thanks to everyone that posted on this!

Okay, I went to Starbucks and I only saw the Orange Creme Frap. It was just okay, imo.

The orange creme frap is not the same as the mocha orange. They messed up our order the other day and gave us the orange creme. We didn't try it---we could immediately tell that it wasn't right (a pale orange versus the dark chocolate of the orange mocha). We had it redone. It was good, but fraps are a little too icy for me and I think you lose some of the flavor. Try a regular orange mocha---

For me, orange anything (except oranges.) is a big yuck.

But I love, love, love the Cinnamon Dolce Latte!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine View Post
    Okay, I went to Starbucks and I only saw the Orange Creme Frap. It was just okay, imo.
    If they are making Orange Creme Frap's they can make the Orange Mocha for you too. Maybe it just isn't listed on the menu but if they have the orange syrup they can make the Orange Mocha.

They can now do light creme fraps, which taste pretty close to regular.

Speaking of complicated drinks, my favorite frap is the green tea ones, but this is how I order:

Venti Green Tea Frappacino, no melon (syrup is too sweet) with 5 scoops of Macha green tea powder (normally it's 4, but it's never strong enough) and no whip.

Now that they do light ones, that will be added to the order.

For a hot drink, it's a Triple Grande Cinnamon Percent Latte (Not the Dolce, just regular cinnamon) with cinnamon powder sprinkled on top.
    "Broken cookies don't have calories" - Unknown

I for one don't understand why oranges and chocolate go together.

I will go back and order the orange mocha. I don't really understand why orange & chocolate make a good combination, but they sure do. I love those two flavors combined!!

I tried the iced version yesterday (tall, skim, no whip) and thought it was tasty, but a little too sweet (probably b/c I cut out all the fat that would balance the sugary flavors!). I'd order it again, but ask for less syrup.

My favorite drink is still the Maple Macchiato, which was on the menu all too briefly last fall.

gertdog,

I ordered an ice orange mocha yesterday and I don't like my coffee to sweet. I asked the barista how many pumps of orange in the drink for a grande it was 4 pumps of orange and 4 pumps of mocha, I had her do 3 orange and 4 mocha, still a little sweet for me. Next time I'll try 2 orange and 4 mocha. Don't know if any of that helps you but I hope it does.

Enjoy, Ann

I had my 2nd iced orange mocha today and it was as good as the first! Both times with 1 1/2 "pumps" of syrup and chocolate.

Just popping in to say I went to Starbucks today and bought a bottle of their orange syrup. I am absolutely addicted to these drinks and at $3.50 each can't afford my habit much longer. The syrup only cost $6.95 for a HUGE bottle so now I can make my own at home whenever the mood hits!!

Finally, was at B&N this afternoon with DH and went over and got my first orange mocha frap. I liked it, but didn't really have much of the orange flavor. Maybe they skimped on how many pumps they put in, but it was tasty enuf to go get another one. I absolutely love the flavor of orange and chocolate and coffee together. I hate to think what would happen if someone put a box of chocolate orange cream candies in front of me. It would vanish in a flash, but this is slightly digressing from the original posting of this thread.

Happy weekend holiday to all. I'm sitting outside on a swing with laptop and the books I bought. Think that frap sort of spoiled my desire for the moment to cook supper. Could probably use another frap right now, but then I probably would have a tough time getting to sleep later

Joan

Quote Originally Posted by JHaris View Post
    Finally, was at B&N this afternoon with DH and went over and got my first orange mocha frap. I liked it, but didn't really have much of the orange flavor. Maybe they skimped on how many pumps they put in, but it was tasty enuf to go get another one. I absolutely love the flavor of orange and chocolate and coffee together. I hate to think what would happen if someone put a box of chocolate orange cream candies in front of me. It would vanish in a flash, but this is slightly digressing from the original posting of this thread.
    Joan
    Actually, Joan, there are orange flavored chocolate candies that are wodnerful: Trader Joe's dark chocolate pieces filled with orange (not cream or exactly jelled---hard to describe! But check it out if you have a TJ's by you---you sound like a fellow orange-chocoholic!

You mentioned getting your drink at B & N. Did you happen to notice whether it was an actual Starbucks? The B & N "Starbucks" seemed different to us---different pastries (like from The Cheesecake Factory), different teas. Later we understood that it is not a true Starbucks, but that they just buy the rights to use Starbucks coffee products, so the drinks are possibly not quite as good as prepared by a true SB barista!