Community Message Boards

Thread: Trans-Fat free tortillas?

Trans-Fat free tortillas?

Has anyone found a brand of tortillas that are trans-fat free? Whole wheat and trans-fat free would be even better! Every single brand I looked at in the store today had hydrogenated oils in it. We eat a LOT of tortillas, so I really want to find one we can use.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Any from a natural foods store should be transs-fat free. I buy them at Whole Foods and a neighborhood market. Whole Foods sells a store brand, and I think the others are local - don't remember the name.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

You didn't mention corn or flour tortillas.
    Anyway, we buy "Porkyland" brand flour tortillas at Costco. Right on the package front it says "No lard, No Cholesterol, Low in Saturated fat, No Trans fat". In the list of ingredients there are no hydrigenated oils listed and in the Nutrition facts it says 0 grams trans fat per serving.

HTH.

The Trader Joe's brand of whole wheat tortillas do not have hydrogenated oil listed as an ingredient (just read the package just to be certain)--not sure if you have a Trader Joe's near you though...

Unfortunately, we don't have a Trader Joe's, a Whole Foods OR a Costco anywhere close to us. I'm not sure the first two even have stores in KC!

I didn't check in the health food section of the grocery store, though, come to think of it. I'll look there next time I go. (I was specifically thinking of flour tortillas as we go through lots of those, but I do use corn tortillas to make enchiladas).
    Last edited by Kathy B; 05-16-2007 at 07:50 PM.
    kathyb

We love the Tumaro brand of flour tortillas - they have tons of flavors (Chipotle is great!)

They come in 8" and 10" size and you can order them from amazon if you can't find them in your local store.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Thanks, Joe! Their website says HyVee carries them, and that is where I usually shop. Maybe they ARE in the health food section....I will definitely check. Hopefully they are not as expensive at HyVee as they are at Amazon....$25 for 12 tortillas? Yikes!!
    kathyb

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    Thanks, Joe! Their website says HyVee carries them, and that is where I usually shop. Maybe they ARE in the health food section....I will definitely check. Hopefully they are not as expensive at HyVee as they are at Amazon....$25 for 12 tortillas? Yikes!!
    At the HyVees up here, I've seen them in the Mexican food aisle with the non-refrigerated tortillas and by the deli and specialty cheese case by the produce section. And they're only around $4 for a dozen, I think.

That is actually $25 for a case of 12 15.8-ounce packages, each containing 10 8-inch tortillas (total of 120 tortillas, 189.6 ounces). We've ordered a case before and they froze very well!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I buy La Tortilla Factory. No trans-fats. Plus, they have a bunch of flavors!

Susan
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

Unfortunately, we don't have a Trader Joe's, a Whole Foods OR a Costco anywhere close to us. I'm not sure the first two even have stores in KC!

I didn't check in the health food section of the grocery store, though, come to think of it. I'll look there next time I go. (I was specifically thinking of flour tortillas as we go through lots of those, but I do use corn tortillas to make enchiladas).
    There's a Whole Foods in JOCO on Metcalf just north of 435.
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by HealthyinMN View Post
    That is actually $25 for a case of 12 15.8-ounce packages, each containing 10 8-inch tortillas (total of 120 tortillas, 189.6 ounces). We've ordered a case before and they froze very well!
    OK, I went back and looked, and as you go further into the site the price you quoted was there....that sounds much more reasonable! I have frozen tortillas, too, so this is definitely something I will consider if I can't find them in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by jadenegro View Post
    There's a Whole Foods in JOCO on Metcalf just north of 435.
    Hmmmm.....we go to that area occasionally (we live north of the river) to shop at India Emporium, but I have never noticed a Whole Foods there. I will have to look for it.

Thanks for the brand names everyone. I will take a list next time I go to HyVee.
    kathyb

Hmmmm.....we go to that area occasionally (we live north of the river) to shop at India Emporium, but I have never noticed a Whole Foods there. I will have to look for it.
    It's in the same area just off Metcalf as Borders, the "Neighborhood Walmart," and this really strange Hawaiian restaurant that I've never actually seen anyone in!

And there is a Costco on the far SE part of town.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

There are both Whole Foods and Wild Oats on the Kansas side of KC (don't know about north of the river). Also Costco - the closest to you would probably be in midtown Kansas City off Main St. There is also a new high-end organic type grocery store that recently opened north of the river - sorry, the name escapes me at the moment.

My local HyVee carries both Tumaro and La Tortilla brands - you can find them in the HealthFood section, not the Mexican foods section.

I tried buying Tumaro tortillas in bulk once from Amazon (they carry a flavor that HyVee doesn't normally stock), but they must've been old/stale, because they were tough and crumbly. I should've returned them, but it just wasn't worth the effort
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

Thanks for the brand names everyone. I will take a list next time I go to HyVee.
    The Whole Foods isn't exactly obvious even when you drive right by it because it is set back from Metcalf quite a bit. But next time you do make a trip down (I wouldn't recommend it just for tortillas though!) Penzey's on Santa Fe in OP is maybe a mile and a half from Whole Foods. Costco has a store located near the intersection of Metcalf (I think that highway is also called 69 or 169) and 119th and another store located on I-35 and 95th, in addition to the one off Main street mentioned earlier.

And completely off topic, but I did confirm the Le Creuset outlet opened up in Legends shopping mall by the speedway
    Last edited by jadenegro; 05-17-2007 at 07:44 AM. Reason: clarity
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Aargh. I just threw away the package from the tortillas I buy; we used the last one last night. I recently found them in the Tex-Mex aisle at the supermarket (where the Old El Paso stuff and that kind of thing is). They aren't refrigerated, and I'm 99% sure they said no trans fats. I *think* the brand is Wrap-Itz. I buy the White Whole Wheat. They're very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by jadenegro View Post

And completely off topic, but I did confirm the Le Creuset outlet opened up in Legends shopping mall by the speedway
    I saw that about a month ago! I managed to escape without buying anything- I was semi-amazed!

Isn't it funny that in my post detailing the Whole Foods location, I was about to put in information about Penzey's as well- but didn't want to get too far off topic I'm a total addict; I make the rounds from Penzey's to Whole Foods to the Plaza about every two weeks!
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by memartha View Post
    Aargh. I just threw away the package from the tortillas I buy; we used the last one last night. I recently found them in the Tex-Mex aisle at the supermarket (where the Old El Paso stuff and that kind of thing is). They aren't refrigerated, and I'm 99% sure they said no trans fats. I *think* the brand is Wrap-Itz. I buy the White Whole Wheat. They're very tasty.
    You have to be careful w/ this. Many brands can say zero trans fats because there is less than .5 grams a serving, but they still have partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients list. It's so wrong that they can do this!
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

My local Meijer supermarket sells Chi Chi's brand flour tortillas. These tortillas have no hydrogenated oils. They are very good.

We buy MISSION brand tortillas. Corn are no transfat and no saturated fat. Flour has a small amount of saturated fat. These are available in all the grocery stores here in CA!
    Curleytop

Do you have a Kroger's store? I buy no-transfat tortillas there, but I can't remember the brand. They are in the Mexican food section.