Community Message Boards

Thread: What is "fruit spread"?

What is "fruit spread"?

I was in WF yesterday looking for jam, and I saw their store brand of "fruit spread". So what exactly is it? The ingredients looked like jam or preserves, so is it a consistency thing?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I would have guessed a "fruit spread" is like a jam only made with just fruit (and no sugar). If the ingredients are the same, then I guess my guess would be wrong!

Polaner-All Fruit-100% All Natural Fruit Spread-Sweetened ONLY with Fruit & Fruit Juice, is what it says on the front label. Everything else I checked, I was shocked to find HFCS. So I would say Fruite Spread is probably better for you.

I'm a little confused on that too.

Wegmans has a fruit spread. It is made with a combination of fruits, sugar, water, pectin, etc. Their store brand preserves has the main fruit, HFCS, corn syrup, pectin, etc.

The fruit spread does seem to be a little less gelatinous, maybe? It is also fairly chunky - not smooth like jelly or jam.

I like it quite well, especially since it has only sugar and not the CS and HFCS. I'd like to get the all-fruit spreads without any added sweetener, but they are so expensive.

I do need to write to Wegmans, though, and ask that they consider removing the Blue 1 food coloring from the fruit spread. :mad: Why does it need coloring???? Their regular jams and preserves don't have that!

So, that's my non-answer to your question.........

I had assumed -before reading the label- that it would be just fruit and maybe some sugar, and I imagined it to be thick and pasty for some reason; sounds like I might be right about that part. But as I said, it has pretty much the ingredients you mentioned Alysha. Oddly, for such a good store they don't have much that's enticing in the way of jams -- though my neighborhood WFM is definitely a neighborhood market, not one of their destination stores.
    Oh well, I just remembered I'm going out of town this weekend, and jams are a favorite souvenir of mine, so maybe I should hold off for now. But I'm going to try to remember to ask when I'm in the store tomorrow.
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt