Community Message Boards

Thread: soy milk and Jello pudding?

soy milk and Jello pudding?

OK, so DH is going thru chemotherapy and radiation and can't have any dairy at all. I tried making Jello pudding using soymilk. Now I don't usually make Jello pudding, but it seemed like something that might work as comfort food, so thought I'd give this a try.

Anyway, the darn stuff didn't set up really much at all - it's pretty soupy. I wonder if soymilk is the problem? Anybody ever tried this? Or is my Jello technique totally lacking

Also, if anyone has any other good dessert recipes using soymilk, it would be much appreciated!

I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I was just going to ask if anyone has used Almond Milk to make pudding. Check out http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/ for ideas. I've noticed Joe uses soy milk a lot. Sending good wishes to your husband.

I don't have any idea but wanted to ask if Jell-O doesn't already have some sort of dairy in it? Like whey or other milk solids?
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I was thinking the same thing as Sneezles, you might want to read the ingredient list carefully. I tried their website but couldn't find an ingredient list. Their website did say that soy milk won't work to prepare it. I found this recipe on allrecipes, maybe it will help. Hugs to you and DH, I'm sure this is a very difficult time for you both.

Yummy Vegan Chocolate Pudding
    SUBMITTED BY: Karla

"I have been trying to cut back on my dairy intake and have reconfigured my usual chocolate pudding recipe into a vegan one. I can't tell them apart. Note: I mention soy creamer; it's much creamier than soy milk."

INGREDIENTS
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 cup soy milk
    1 cup soy creamer
    1/2 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons egg replacer (dry)
    3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    DIRECTIONS
    In a medium saucepan combine cornstarch, soy milk and soy creamer; stir to dissolve cornstarch. Place on medium heat and stir in sugar. Cook, whisking frequently, until mixture comes to a low boil; remove from heat.
    In a small bowl whisk egg replacer with 1/4 cup of hot milk mixture; return to pan with remaining milk mixture. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until thick, but not boiling.
    Place the chocolate in a medium bowl and pour in the hot milk mixture. Let stand for 30 seconds, then stir until melted and smooth. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then stir in vanilla.
    Pour into ramekins or custard cups. Cover with plastic wrap and let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or overnight before serving.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by emncar View Post
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I was just going to ask if anyone has used Almond Milk to make pudding. Check out http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/ for ideas.
    Hey what a coincidence - that was going to be my next question! I bought a quart of almond milk yesterday - I'll check out that site - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as Sneezles, you might want to read the ingredient list carefully. I tried their website but couldn't find an ingredient list. Their website did say that soy milk won't work to prepare it. I found this recipe on allrecipes, maybe it will help.
    Thanks for the recipe Robyn - yup I was thinking I might have to make it from scratch... Glad their website confirmed what I have already discovered!

Actually I think the main problem with the dairy is the lactose, since he was already lactose-intolerant, now it's REALLY bad! But I think a few whey solids etc. should be all right, but maybe I should check with the dietitician.

Whey solids are a concentrated source of lactose. Recipes that use whey solids are often using that as a source of sweetening. I'm lactose intolerant and whey is one of the worst things for me....its hiding in so many foods that one would never guessed have dairy in them.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    I don't have any idea but wanted to ask if Jell-O doesn't already have some sort of dairy in it? Like whey or other milk solids?
    You mean cow bones?
    Love, Mikex

My current health project: Colon Cleanser

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question557.htm

The gelatin you eat in Jell-O comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues. To make gelatin, manufacturers grind up these various parts and pre-treat them with either a strong acid or a strong base to break down cellular structures and release proteins like collagen. After pre-treatment, the resulting mixture is boiled. During this process, the large collagen protein ends up being partially broken down, and the resulting product is called gelatin. The gelatin is easily extracted because it forms a layer on the surface of the boiling mixture.
    Delish.
    Love, Mikex

My current health project: Colon Cleanser

I've attempted to make Jello pudding (the kind you cook--not instant) using soy milk and it's never thickened normally. I didn't know if my pudding mix was old or if it just doesn't work with soy, but have often wondered. I will also say that pudding made with soy milk just doesn't taste right, and I've been drinking soy and haven't had dairy milk for many years. I buy milk now when I want to make pudding.

But I have a suggestion! Mori-Nu makes a product called Mori-Nu Mates Low-fat Pudding Mix and this stuff is great. It's in powder form and you just whip it in a blender with a package of Silken Lite Tofu, firm for extra firm, and a few tablespoons of water. It easy, tastes just like pudding and it comes in lemon, chocolate and vanilla. I've never had the vanilla. Besides pudding, it makes an easy dessert pie. You just pour it into a graham crust and freeze it--really yummy. I use a chocolate graham crust with the chocolate pudding and a regular one for the lemon. I've served this to many non-tofu eaters that liked it and had no idea it was non-dairy.

I've only seen this product though at Wild Oats and Whole Foods. It's especially good for me, living on a boat, because none of the ingredients require refrigeration so it makes good ship stores.

How about making him a silken tofu pudding? They are easy and delicious, with no dairy in sight.

Angela

P.S. I hope your hubby gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    How about making him a silken tofu pudding? They are easy and delicious, with no dairy in sight.

Angela

P.S. I hope your hubby gets better soon.
    Great minds...

Quote Originally Posted by mikex1337 View Post
    You mean cow bones?
    No, that wasn't the part of the cow I was referring to and it isn't considered dairy either!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I seem to remember making a silken tofu chocolate mousse recipe from CL a number of years ago....no one ever knew it was tofu.

Here it is:

Cooking Light
    Chocolate Mousse

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
    1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat extra-firm tofu
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large egg whites
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    Fat-free whipped topping, thawed (optional)
    Grated chocolate (optional)
    Preparation
    Place chocolate and tofu in a food processor or blender, and process 2 minutes or until smooth.

Place salt and egg whites in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 238. Pour the hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed. Gently stir one-fourth of meringue into the tofu mixture; gently fold in remaining meringue. Spoon 1/2 cup mousse into each of 8 (6-ounce) custard cups. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Garnish with whipped topping and grated chocolate, if desired.
    Yield

8 servings
    Nutritional Information

CALORIES 147(34% from fat); FAT 5.6g (sat 3.3g,mono 1.8g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 5.2g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 26mg; SODIUM 134mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 22.5g

Lorrie Hulston Corvin , Cooking Light, MAY 2001

And a pudding -- haven't tried this one:

Chocolate Espresso Pudding

Soy milk, which is available in most large supermarkets, is as high in health-promoting isoflavones as much-touted tofu--1 cup contains 80 milligrams, an amount that has been shown to stave off osteoporosis. It is sold in cartons that are generally found on the baking aisle of the grocery store.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 cups fat-free soy milk
    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Preparation
    Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan, and stir well with a whisk. Gradually stir in milk, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute or until thick. Remove from heat, and add chocolate, stirring until melted. Stir in vanilla. Pour about 1/2 cup pudding into each of 4 dessert dishes; cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Chill at least 4 hours. Remove plastic wrap to serve.
    Yield

4 servings
    Nutritional Information

CALORIES 281(15% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 5.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 237mg; SODIUM 134mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 56.2g

Quote Originally Posted by mundy View Post
    Whey solids are a concentrated source of lactose. Recipes that use whey solids are often using that as a source of sweetening. I'm lactose intolerant and whey is one of the worst things for me....its hiding in so many foods that one would never guessed have dairy in them.
    Oh, wow, I had no idea! I'll have to check it out... he had tolerated the LactAid milk just fine, until, of course, all this started. Now the list of foods he can eat just keeps getting smaller and smaller - it's really a bummer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    But I have a suggestion! Mori-Nu makes a product called Mori-Nu Mates Low-fat Pudding Mix and this stuff is great. It's in powder form and you just whip it in a blender with a package of Silken Lite Tofu, firm for extra firm, and a few tablespoons of water. It easy, tastes just like pudding and it comes in lemon, chocolate and vanilla. I've never had the vanilla. Besides pudding, it makes an easy dessert pie. You just pour it into a graham crust and freeze
    Awesome idea - I'll check it out! We have company coming for dinner this weekend, and this might be perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by doggerham View Post
    I seem to remember making a silken tofu chocolate mousse recipe from CL a number of years ago....no one ever knew it was tofu.

Here it is:

Cooking Light
    Chocolate Mousse
    GReat - thanks for the tips! I think I've got most these ingredients on hand so I will try!

I made this from Vegetarian Times and we all liked it a lot here at our home! My son loved and even DH enjoyed this one, and DH won't get near anything he knows have soy in it... (yes, he didn't know about this one!!)
    Ana

Creamy Dark Chocolate Pudding
    From Vegetarian Times Magazine - 01/01/2007 p69
    Serves 4

2 cups plain soymilk, divided
    2 Tbs. cornstarch
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips, such as Sunspire
    3 Tbs. sugar
    1 Tbs. instant decaffeinated coffee granules
    pinch ground nutmeg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Whisk together 1/2 cup soymilk and cornstarch in small bowl. Set aside.
    2. Combine remaining 11/2 cups soymilk, cocoa, chocolate chips, sugar, coffee and nutmeg in large saucepan. Warm over medium heat until chocolate chips have melted. Whisk in cornstarch mixture, and cook 10 minutes over medium-low heat, or until pudding thickens and begins to boil. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
    3. Divide pudding among 4 custard cups. Chill well before serving.

Here is another Chocolate Mousse recipe you could try! I have made it a few times and everyone loved it too! (again, never mentioned the word tofu... )
    You can certainly omit the brandy (which I did), and use vegan (dairy free) chocolate chips for this and other similar desserts that might ask for chocolate. This one is really creamy and yummy!
    Hope your husband few better and healthy soon!!
    Ana

1 (12.3-ounce) package silken tofu, drained
    3 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed
    1/4 cup water
    1 tablespoon brandy
    1/2 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon superfine sugar

In a blender or food processor, puree the tofu until it is smooth.
    Put the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, 1/4 cup water and brandy in a saucepan or heat-proof bowl fitted over a pot containing 1-inch barely simmering water. Stir frequently, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Mix in 1/2 cup of sugar, a little at a time, until smooth.
    Add the chocolate mixture to the tofu and puree until smooth and well blended. Spoon the mousse into serving dishes, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Yield: 5 servings