Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you make risotto ahead of time?

Can you make risotto ahead of time?

I'm having some friends over Friday evening and making something on the grill that requires attention. I want to make an asparagus lemon risotto as the side dish but I can't be both inside and out at the same time. I am thinking that if I make it ahead of time and try to keep it warm it will get gummy. Any ideas?

Somewhere on the BB i've seen a recipe for risotto made in the crockpot. It sounded good and I printed it, but haven't made it yet....I would think this might work for you. If you make regular risotto in advance I think it would get gummy, etc.

ETA I found the thread and here is the recipe. I have this cookbook but STILL haven't tried this!

Parmesan Risotto

Serves 3-4
    Cooker: Medium or large round
    Setting and cook time: HIGH for 2-2 1/2 hrs

1/4 c olive oil
    2 med-sized shallots, minced
    1/4 c dry white wine
    1 1/4 c Arborio, Vialone nano, or Carnaroli rice
    3 3/4 c chicken broth
    1/2 t salt
    3/4 c freshly grated Parmegiano-Reggiano cheese

1. In a small skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Cook the shallots until softened, 3-4 minutes; do not brown. Add the wine and cook, stirring, for a minute or so. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until it turns from translucent to opaque (do not brown), about 2 minutes. Scrape w/ a heat-proof rubber spatula into the slow cooker. Add the broth and salt. Cover and cook on HIGH until all the liquid is absorbed, but the rice is still moist, 2-2 1/2 hrs. The risotto should be only a bit liquidy, and the rice should be al dente, tender w/ just a touch of firmness.

2. Stir in 1/2 c of the cheese and pass the remainder for sprinkling. Serve immediately, spooned into bowls. Risotto will keep on the KEEP WARM setting for an hr or so.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Here's an oven risotto that I've made, and thought was quite good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Risotto with Asparagus, Spinach, Parmesan (& Shrimp)

Recipe By :Cooking Light reader recipe by Erin Corry
    Serving Size : 3 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dishes Quick And Easy
    Side Dishes Success

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 cup Arborio rice
    8 cups spinach leaves -- 4 ounces
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- freshly grated
    1 1/2 cups asparagus -- sliced 1" pieces
    6 ounces shrimp -- [I added this to the recipe]
    Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add rice, cook well. Stir in spinach broth, salt, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, cook 7 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.

Cover and bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Stir in asparagus and shrimp (if used); sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Cover and bake an addtional 15 minutes or unti liquid is almost absorbed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 463 Calories; 11g Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 61g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 97mg Cholesterol; 1096mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

We eat risotto as a reheated leftover and even freeze it---seems to be fine.
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

I've read several places that restaurants will cook risotto halfway through, then spread out on sheet pans to cool. Then they finish with hot stock as usual. I've never tried that myself, and nothing I've read suggests times (but then, risotto itself doesn't have precise times, either).

Here's a recipe that might help you out -- it serves 8, so it sounds great for a dinner party.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Quick Risotto Reggiano with Asparagus

Recipe By :Nicole Aloni
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Appetizers Rice & Grains

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup minced shallots
    1 1/4 cups arborio rice
    3 cups chicken broth
    2 tablespoons chopped dried mushroom
    (porcini, morel, or shiitake)
    1/3 cup dry vermouth
    1/2 pound thin asparagus -- cut into 1-inch lengths
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    2 tablespoons minced chives
    kosher salt
    freshly ground coarse black pepper

Heat the butter and the oil in a microwave-safe, 3-quart casserole dish, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Add the shallots and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil. Cook for 2-1/2 minutes.

Add the broth, dried mushroom, and vermouth and cook uncovered for 11 minutes. Stir well and cook 6 minutes more.

Mix in the asparagus and thyme and cook for 5 minutes.

Remove from the microwave and let stand, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and chives, add salt and pepper as desired, and serve immediately.

To make ahead for a party, prepare through cooking with the broth and set aside. When you are ready to serve dinner, add the asparagus and thyme and finish preparation from there. Serve immediately.

Makes 8 servings

Description:
    "Practical for a party"
    Source:
    "Secrets from a Caterer's Kitchen (Berkley 2001)"
    S(Web):
    "http://barnesandnoble.com"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 214 Calories; 8g Fat (34.9% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 357mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : This wonderfully easy, luscious risotto was inspired by the risotto technique in Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet. The already simple preparation (for risotto) can be made even more party-friendly by completing all but the last step before guests arrive. This recipe is the only practical way to include risotto in a party menu.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 4544 0 0 2085 0 1034 20210 0 0

Thanks for your help. Any one of the recipes will work so I printed them all out. You all put a smile on my face today