Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone have a vaccinated child who still got the chicken pox?

Anyone have a vaccinated child who still got the chicken pox?

Around my way there's been a lot of vacinnated children getting the chicken pox. My 10yr old son just got home from vacation. My parents had brought him out to the U of ND in Indiana to go to football camp. They were staying at my brother's vacation home and thought he had posion ivy. The poor kid was sick for most of the trip. When he came home last night I realized it was the chicken pox. And I wouldn't call it a mild case. The poor kid said he was so sick the last day of camp but he kept going because he wanted to be able to say he made it though.
    Early this year 12 kids on our local hockey team got the chicken pox and they were all vaccinated.
    I know they are saying boosters are needed. I'm afraid someday were're going to have a bunch of adults getting the chicken pox. The older you are the more serious it is. Maybe they're better off just getting it when they are kids......
    Patty

My next door neighbor's daughter was vaccinated when she was maybe 10 years old (but only once - no booster) & she caught a doozy of a case at the age of 22. So I'm guessing maybe a booster is a good idea...

My kids were about 3 years too early for the vaccine...
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Yes, there was a major chicken pox outbreak at my kids' school this spring. As far as I know, all of the kids who got sick had the vaccine. I think a big part of the issue is that some of the people who get the vaccine the first time don't seroconvert, so they don't acquire immunity.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Reading this thread makes me glad my kids never got the vaccine - they got chicken pox about 7 years ago, and weren't terribly sick. I also got it (had never had it as a child), and was terribly sick for several days. I think adults who are non-immune should absolutely get the vaccine, because you can get extremely sick from it as an adult. I'm not so sure about vaccinating all kids for it (especially if the vaccine doesn't work that well)- since when has chicken pox been a severe diease? Yes, I know there are cases of complications from chickenpox, but those are very rare. Chickenpox isn't quite polio....
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

I put off my son getting the vaccine also. But around my way they can't go to school unless they had it. Since I don't feel comforable homeschooling I really didn't have a choice............
    Patty

First, let me say I am not a person opposed to vaccines. I am pro-vaccine for deadly childhood diseases. That said....

I have made each of my children wait until their kindergarten shots to get the chicken pox vaccine. This was primarily b/c I heard reports that girls who got the vaccine as toddlers ran a very large risk for a more dangerous chicken pox outbreak later. So I decided I would wait as long as I possibly could to get those shots.

People looked at me like we carried the plague when I told them my children hadn't had their chicken pox shot yet. (Before they were 5 years old) I can't tell you the number of times I heard "What are you waiting for, them to get the disease?" Well, yeah, I survived chicken pox and so did everyone I know. I can't believe how people act about this shot. Chicken pox is not that dangerous in the grand scheme of things--there are equally as many complications to be had for the flu (for which my daughter had to be hospitalized), pneumonia and other illness kids can get. Why the hysteria over "having" to get this vaccine?

I would rather my children get the illness as 6, 7, or 8 year olds and build a natural immunity than have a shot that, obviously, scientists released before they knew everything about the long term problems.

Just MHO

Becky

My daughter (and son) had the vaccine, and during my daughter's kindergarten year, she and 4 of her vaccinated classmates all got mild cases (10-25 spots) of chicken pox when a non-vaccinated child came down with a severe case. I knew this was a possibility but I still wanted my kids to get to shot since I had a bad case as a child and ended up with some permanent scars.

Heidi

My boys both got the vaccine. At that time, they were saying to revacinate in high school, but our pediatrician revaccinated at their last physical and said they don't wait now. I know they've been exposed without getting it -- I hope that remains true.

My son had a mild case when he was about 1 year old. Then he contracted chicken pox at age 25 and was terribly sick. It took weeks for him to recover. They didn't have the vaccine when he was little, but I wish he had been able to have it.
    K

The latest recommendations state that a 2nd varicella vaccine should be given, as one is not sufficient. I believe Texas is about to or has recently changed the requirements for school attendance to 2 varicella shots before Kindergarten.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

This is the one vax is will NOT get my kids. As far as schools go, every state has exemptions, you can get around the "requirement".

My son picked it up on our x-country move out here. My daughter was a wee wee one at the time and managed to not get it. I'm so glad he got it naturally, Molly will get it the same way.

I taught first grade and frequently had students who were vaxed get chicken pox anyway. They were young enough that they didn't need the booster yet. I got the chicken pox as an adult (while in the Bahamas on vacation - NO FUN) and hope we don't have tons of adults getting it in the future. I was very sick when I had them at 21.

dd just went in for her 5 year well baby and the dr. recommended a chicken pox booster since there has been such a recent outbreak. not sure how old she was when she 1st got it, but i went ahead with the booster anyway.
    It's easier to beg forgiveness then to ask permission!

I guess I'm torn about the whole thing. Right now I'm happy my son got the vaccine because if he didn't he would be a lot sicker right now. This was the first time he was ever away from me. The though of him being really sick without me.........
    But my fear is for my daughter. Since there's no longterm results of the vaccine I do worry about adults getting it which is a lot worst. Or young pregnant Moms getting it. And until everyone gets the vaccine there will always be cases floating around.
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    But my fear is for my daughter. Since there's no longterm results of the vaccine I do worry about adults getting it which is a lot worst. Or young pregnant Moms getting it. And until everyone gets the vaccine there will always be cases floating around.
    It's easy to get tested to see if you've developed immunity to the disease - I was tested when I was expecting my youngest, and found out I wasn't immune. At least I wasn't surprised when I came down with them.

It sounds like this vaccine won't eradicate chickenpox, since it doesn't sound like it's highly effective over a long period of time.
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson