Community Message Boards

Thread: Bitter-tasting yogurt?

Bitter-tasting yogurt?

I just got myself a bowl of yogurt and strawberries for a snack and found that the yogurt has a strangely bitter taste to it. Does this mean it's gone "off?" It has been open for a little while. I'm certainly disinclined to eat any more of it (there go the strawberries, too, darn it.)

Just some thoughts....
    Is this a brand of yogurt you normally eat? Perhaps the strawberries are a bit more sweet than usual and the combo makes it seem the yogurt is bitter?

I find some yogourt just has a bitter taste; I think it's the particular culture a manufacturer uses. And if it's bitter, it will get more bitter as it continues to culture (which it will if it's got live cultures in it -- this doesn't mean it goes "off", just that it gets more...um, yogourty). If it was off (which yogourt very rarely seems to do) it would go kind of yellowish and clotted, and would smell vile. If it still has a sort of fresh/sour smell, it's technically fine.

I'm really picky about my brand of yogourt, for that very reason. There's only one I really like, which has a very mild culture that never seems to go bitter. Is it a new kind of yogourt you haven't had before by chance?
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Quote Originally Posted by veschke View Post
    I just got myself a bowl of yogurt and strawberries for a snack and found that the yogurt has a strangely bitter taste to it. Does this mean it's gone "off?" It has been open for a little while. I'm certainly disinclined to eat any more of it (there go the strawberries, too, darn it.)
    CHECK THE DATE?

The sell-by date is 6/19, but I don't know if that means anything vis a vis when it will actually spoil.

It's Stonyfield Farms, which I buy all the time, although this is plain, which I don't normally buy (needed it for a sauce, I think). I tasted it before any strawberries, so that's not it.

Oh well. Thanks for the description, compassrose, it certainly doesn't look like that! Perhaps it is just more "yogurty" than I am used to....

I think your answer is that "it's plain" From what I understand, plain yogurt is tangier/more bitter than, say, vanilla yogurt, which is why it gets used a lot in savory dishes.

I'd either add some vanilla extract to the yogurt you eat with the strawberries, and maybe a little sugar too.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I agree with Erin - probably the plain part since no sweetners are added. I'd toss in some honey or maple syrup.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Good to know. Now I feel a little silly for not thinking about that. Thanks guys!