Community Message Boards

Thread: Wood floors in beach house?

Wood floors in beach house?

Would you put any type of wood flooring in a beach house? We are updating a shore property that has not really been touched for 30 years, so the entire kitchen/family room area needs work.

We are thinking of putting some type of distressed, matte finish wood floor in, and then having large area rugs in the family room. Realistically, there will be sand tracked in, plus we have a dog. I have tile at home, which I love, but I think that would be too hard on bare feet and possibly slippery too at the beach.

So, I have not had hardwood in any house I have lived in, and when I see it in homes around mine it is usually beautiful, highly-polished wood - not a beach house look.

Anybody have any advice on flooring for me? Thanks!

No specific recommendation, but I have seen painted wood floors in beach houses in both Coastal Living and Cottage Living magazine.

I live less than 10 minutes from the beach and most of the flooring in my house is polyurethane finished oak. What isn't wood is 18" ceramic tile.

We have had three kids (and their assorted friends), at one point three dogs, lots of beach sand and garden dirt throughout the house. I just vacuum and use the Hoover floor mate. I'll wipe it with Method Wood for Good floor cleaner and the floor is clean.

The house is almost 6 years old, and the floors will need to be refinished within the next year or so. The shine has worn on the heavy traffic areas, and there are some scratches from moving furniture during our whole house painting extravaganza this past winter. Ah, the memories...good times.

I would recommend wood floors if you like them, although if I had to do it over again - the ceramic would be throughout most of the house, with hardwood in certain areas - only because of the refinishing aspect. You don't have to refinish ceramic.

I'm in beach houses all of the time due to DH and my work - I'm seeing more and more of the bamboo flooring. Very nice!
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

I am currently at our beach house with painted wood floors. The house is about 80 years old and kind of rustic. The floors look fine, but the thing that I don't like about them is that they never seem to get clean. I always wear flip flops in the house because otherwise my feet turn black. We share the house with extended family, and one of the women is a clean freak. She gets out the swiffer mop thing every day and the floors still don't get clean.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

I live at the beach and have hardwood floors, never had a problem. I was told not to get any type of painted or stained finish as the sand my wear it off. But I don't know who that really makes sense since the polyurethane finish is over the wood.
    I did just put tile on my first floor but just for a change, I wanted that look, but it is harder on the feet, not any easier to clean, shows much dirt. What I'm saying its I like the tile look, but would not buy it because it is easier.
    BTW, I've lived at the beach for years so I have lots of floor experience, my first house had carpet, didn't take long to rip that out.
    My flooring in this house is maple, my last house was oak. My son just put in bamboo. The one thing I hate about bamboo, it is an engineered flooring. It is only comes prefinished, I don't like prefinished because you don't have a solid surface.
    Christie

We just did a floor ( ourselves) with a fairly new hybrid product called Duraceramic. (congoleum) It's in 16 inch squares & can be installed grouted or not. It's not as expensive as tile but looks like it, or at least much more so than the laminates. not as cold as tile. you can sweep or vacuum or damp mop. We put it in a family room that gets hard use although no sand. I've seen some wood-look laminates that were big plank and distressed looking rather than shiny but I don't remember the brand.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

My aunt and uncle's mountain house has this hickory flooring and they deal with some similar issues with water from snow, sand and dirt from road treatment and dirt ski area parking lots being tracked in. This is the second house they've put it in so they must like it. The distressed coloring hides scratches and dirt.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Hey BucknellAlum

Check out the link that I posted on Rosemary Beach. Almost all of those houses have hardwood in them.

Quote Originally Posted by cangoss View Post
    I am currently at our beach house with painted wood floors. The house is about 80 years old and kind of rustic. The floors look fine, but the thing that I don't like about them is that they never seem to get clean. I always wear flip flops in the house because otherwise my feet turn black. We share the house with extended family, and one of the women is a clean freak. She gets out the swiffer mop thing every day and the floors still don't get clean.
    Wel,, this is kind of how I feel about my tile too. I know it gets cleaned by hand every 2 weeks, but yet I know that dirt accumulates in the "nooks and crannies" of the tile (it is a rough finish).

I am definitely against carpet - when we rented a place, they had tile with a sisal area rug. I would lift up the sisal and vacuum up pounds of sand! And this was after we had rinsed our feet and taken off shoes.

The bamboo intrigues me, I haven't seen it much, nor do I know how it compares in cost to tile or hardwood. I guess a trip to a flooring store is in order.

My DH is an architect and has talked recently about some kind of a vinyl floor that looks and feels like wood that they have spec'd for several different projects. That might be something to look into.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Have you ever seen pickled wood floors? The ones I have seen are really great....trying to research it a bit it seems that some people accomplish this with paint, some with bleach or other methods........I think they would be great in a beach house, I would just really research the methods...

http://www.houseandgarden.com/renova...ring_darklight
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

I like the photos of the pickled and bleached wood - that definitely looks like more what I was thinking of. I guess the traditional dark hardwood just looks too formal for a beach place. I also like the wide planks, more of a farmhouse look.

I will also have to check out those other products mentioned here.

That pickled look is what I was once considering for my beach house, but was told the whitewash look will wear off with all the sand. But you will have a thick coat of polyurethane over it so I don't think it will really wear off. I did stick with plain hardwood, that was under my ugly carpet.
    Now in this house, my maple floor is very light, when I look closely it is very scratched, but you don't notice it just walking on it. I can't see that look in my present house, but I love it. Take pictures for us to see when you finally decide, I will drool over your floors.
    Christie

I too think the painted floors would require more upkeep and would really look into the bleached wood. Some shops here in town have painted wood floors and the high traffic takes a bit of a tole on them but they still are really lovely as the paint was never "perfect" to begin with and the buildings are old houses so it sort of works. We have some stained concrete floors and chose those over painted so we don't have to worry about peeling paint.
    "You can live a perfectly normal life if you accept the fact that your life will never be perfectly normal." -Randy Glasbergen

wood floors

I'm so excited about this thread because I too need advice on flooring for a beach house. We rent in season so must stand up to HIGH traffic. Ceramic tile is too costly for me. I like the idea of wood laminate and would like to know if anyone has tried this and how well it stands up to lots of traffic.
    And if anyone could recommend any brands?

Thanks for your help.

I have no personal experience with wood floors, but my brother who lives in WA, has them and spends a fortune every 4 years getting them resurfaced, because of the wet weather near the doors they get warped and the dogs nails scratch the floors.

I really like the look of this laminate wood floor for a beach house

http://www.simplefloors.com/products...ooring291.aspx

Jbashamsmith, do a thread search for laminate flooring, there has been discussion in the past of what people like and dont like abou them

Laurie

Laminate wood

thanks Laurie,

I really like the look of this.

Julie

We were just at my in-laws house last night. MIL had her kitchen remodeled, and they had a wood-look Pergo floor installed. They live 2 blocks away from the beach, and MIL said it is a BREEZE to clean. I don't know what the sand would do to the finish after a year or two, but it really looks nice now.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."