Community Message Boards

Thread: How to keep pesto green?

How to keep pesto green?

Hi all,
    I just recently made the Classic Pesto recipe and loved it, but the outside of the "ball" of pesto quickly turned brown. Aside from freezing it, is there some way to keep it from oxidizing? Would adding lemon juice make it taste weird? I don't mind the brown if it's just us eating it, since it still tastes great, but if I were to serve it to other people, it's certainly less attractive... Thanks,
    Kim

The TV chefs use powdered Vitamin C.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Michael Chiarello and others also recommend blanching the basil first. Just the quickest of dips in boiling water:
    http://www.napastyle.com/kitchen/rec...ategory_id=101

As suggested, blanching works, but so does adding a quarter cup or so of baby spinach and/or parsley. Or, when storing, put a thin layer of olive oil on top.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    As suggested, blanching works, but so does adding a quarter cup or so of baby spinach and/or parsley. Or, when storing, put a thin layer of olive oil on top.Bob
    I usually just eat it as is - the brown doesn't bother me. But if I'm serving it for guests or it does bother me, I do as Bob said and I just give it a whir in the food processor with a little fresh spinach. Lovely!

I've read that not adding the cheese before you freeze it is supposed to help, but I've never tried it.

Just go two more bunches of organic basil from the Farmer's Market and need to get some Parmesan so I can turn it into pesto...........

I do the olive oil trick & I also like a little lemon juice in my pesto which seems to help too.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

Thank you so much for your help! I've got some CSA basil to use up, so pesto, here we come!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie226 View Post
    I do the olive oil trick & I also like a little lemon juice in my pesto which seems to help too.
    That's because the lemon juice has asorbic acid (vitamin C) in it.

I used to store mine with a layer of olive oil on top and it would keep bright green for weeks, but there's a botulism risk if you hang on to it for too long, so do keep that in mind.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt