Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with LOTS of leftover deli meat?

What to do with LOTS of leftover deli meat?

Hi Everyone! We had my daughter's 2nd birthday party yesterday, and I overbought on the deli meat for sandwiches. I've got about a pound each of deli-sliced turkey and ham, and 1/2 lb of deli-roast beef left over. Our little family of four can't possibly eat that much meat before it goes bad, so I'm looking for what to do with it. I'm wondering if there are any good casserole or pasta recipes floating around that use deli meat. We're already doing lots of sandwiches, so I'm hoping for some other recipes. We also have a good amount of bread, so a strata sort of thing would work too.

I've tried searching both on the bulletin boards and in recipe finder, but nothing seems to come up for "deli meat". I'm not sure what else to call it. Any specific recipes people can share would be really helpful. Thanks!

Becky

I don't have any specific recipes for using deli meat, but what I do if I buy too much is freeze it. It freezes beautifully.

You can use it to make cheesesteak-type sandwiches. Slice some onions, mushrooms, and peppers (or whatever you like) and saute them in olive oil. When they're done to your liking, add the beef (or other meat) and use your spatula to sort of chop it up. I like to add provolone to the top of mine to melt, then serve on a crusty roll with slicd tomatoes and/or pepperoncinis.

As the PP said, you can also freeze the leftovers in portions that you will use up once they're thawed.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Here's another vote for....freeze it!

If I can find the recipe, some one once brought over a casserole type dish using all kinds of deli meat...it was really good!

Basically it was refridgerated biscuit dough spread out on the bottom, layers of different deli meats (ham, salami, turkey, etc.) then cheese of choice and some more dough on top then baked. Not light, but tasty, easy just as good cold as warm. It made a nice weekday dinner with a salad.
    ~angela~
    sophleniko

"I donít like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like good cooking."
    ó James Beard

One way to freeze it is to mix it with your favorite BBQ sauce and freeze it in one or more meal size containers. Then a quick thaw/heat up in the microwave or on the stovetop and you will have a BBQ sandwich filling for a busy night.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

It makes great omelets or morning eggs! We sometimes have them for dinner!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Add a slice of the deli turkey or ham to grilled cheese sandwiches, along with a nice swipe of mustard. Yum!

Heat the roast beef in some warmed beef broth. Serve it on warm rolls with the broth on the side for dipping.

And yes, freezing is always a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeMartinGal View Post
    It makes great omelets or morning eggs! We sometimes have them for dinner!
    ditto - i would make lots of egg dishes... breakfast strattas, quiches, fritattas, etc.
    - Josie

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I think we'll be doing a combination. To my surprise, DH ate all the roast beef -- he loves sandwiches with roast beef and the sourdough bread I bought. The ham is less of a favorite, so I'm going to use some in an omelette for dinner tonight, then freeze the rest in smaller portions. Our girls eat the sliced turkey, so we've only got about 3/4 pound left. I may freeze some of it, but I'm sure most of it will be eaten pretty soon.

Thanks again!

Becky